Jerome Taylor Profile picture
Jun 3, 2021 9 tweets 4 min read Read on X
Hong Kongers are seeking innovative ways to commemorate the victims of China's deadly Tiananmen Square crackdown after authorities banned an annual vigil and vowed to stamp out any protests come Friday's anniversary -- @AFP

news.yahoo.com/hong-kongers-c…
Local artist Kacey Wong has collected hundreds of spent candle stubs from previous vigils and plans to give them to residents on Friday night. Image
"Each burned candle contains a person's mourning towards those who sacrificed themselves in pursuit of democracy, as well as one's longing for democracy, a mix of complex emotions," Wong told @AFP. "I hope they can continue to shine the way towards freedom and democracy." Image
Activists say authorities will struggle to eliminate all acts of commemoration in a city that still seethes with resentment towards Beijing after 2019's huge and often violent democracy protests were stamped out. Image
Historically, the Tiananmen vigil candles are lit at 8.09 pm -- representing 1989.

Albert Ho -- a now-jailed former lawmaker and one of the vigil organisers -- suggested Hong Kongers could light candles or shine mobile phone lights in their local neighbourhoods. Image
“We can regard the whole of Hong Kong as Victoria Park and spread out our candlelights,” he told @SCMPNews before he was sentenced last week for attending previous democracy protests.

scmp.com/news/hong-kong…
Social media presents another avenue.

Artist Pak Sheung-chuen has called on residents to write the numbers six and four -- representing June 4 -- on light switches as a way to memorise Tiananmen every time they turn them on.

facebook.com/paksheungchuen… Image
District councillor Debby Chan said she plans to mourn Tiananmen by holding a poetry reading and sharing session with residents in her neighbourhood.

"This is one of the most signature events of our movement. If we give up now, the red lines will only come closer in the future." Image
Reporting by @ayanchiu, photos by @ILawrencephoto

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Jerome Taylor

Jerome Taylor Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @JeromeTaylor

May 10, 2022
This @SCMPNews piece contains a couple of quotes from HK govt insiders that suggest this new administration looks set to be ideologically in lockstep with Xi-era Beijing, with potential repercussions for international business in HK

scmp.com/news/hong-kong…
Incoming leader John Lee has been clear he wants to reboot Hong Kong's competitiveness AND further integrate the city with the mainland.

But if these quotes are anything to go by the latter will be the priority, even possibly at the expense of the former.
The clearest comes from Lau Siu-kai, the go to man for reporters in HK to try and understand central authorities.

He is clear, Beijing ultimately doesn't care about maintaining HK as a truly global hub. A primarily Chinese and regional hub is just fine.
Read 5 tweets
May 9, 2022
Western multinationals and local tycoons published newspaper adverts on Monday congratulating John Lee on becoming Hong Kong's next leader, following a rubber-stamp selection process condemned by critics as anti-democratic — @AFP

sg.news.yahoo.com/western-multin…
Western businesses have found themselves in an increasingly precarious position in Hong Kong, especially as geopolitical tensions have risen with China.
Many have embraced progressive political causes in western markets, such as the anti-racism Black Lives Matter movement, same-sex equality and ridding supply chains of labour abuses.
Read 4 tweets
Aug 24, 2021
Hong Kong commerce sec Edward Yau just announced that a new film censorship law will be passed.

Two big items stand out.

National security censorship will now extend to any past films (not just future ones).

Up to 3 years jail HK$1m fine for showing unapproved films.
This comes after authorities in June announced they had updated the city's film censorship ordinance to include any content that breaches "national security"

uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/hong-kong…
This could have repercussions for streaming platforms like @netflix, @HBO and @PrimeVideo.

For example, how long before content like this on Netflix is deemed illegal?
Read 10 tweets
Aug 23, 2021
Someone was deeply unhappy about tonight’s visit to the vets
I must escape
But as soon as I do, it’s a terrifying world out there
Read 4 tweets
Aug 17, 2021
Hong Kong has always been a pretty transient place for white collar immigrants (I hate the word expats) and foreigners get used to leaving dos.

But I feel like barely a week goes by now without me hearing of someone - both senior & middle management - deciding to head overseas
Of the anecdotal cases I’ve heard personally, Beijing’s crackdown is a partial cause.

While it doesn’t tend to personally effect the foreigners leaving, it has irrevocably changed the city & blanketed this once outspoken, freewheeling town in a very different atmosphere.
But the most constant reason I hear is Hong Kong’s pandemic imposed isolation from the rest of the world — and the reality that this is unlikely to change any time soon.

This is not about weekends in Hoi An. Many foreigners haven’t seen family for two years or more.
Read 16 tweets
Aug 17, 2021
For the last few days pretty much every time I open @Twitter I get promoted content from these totes organic accounts that just happen to be push the Chinese gov’t’s narrative.

Most are new. This account opened in April.
Oh look, another #FoBack. Bio also just happens to share the exact same phrasing — including the extra space before “impartial” — with our buddy EdwardL10327994. Shurely shome mishtake?
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(