Dave Min (davemin_ca on 🧵) Profile picture
Jun 6, 2021 7 tweets 4 min read Read on X
This weekend, I #WearOrange because there is too much gun violence, including in the City of Orange which I represent.

Aiden Leos, Jenevieve Raygoza, Luis Tovar, Letitia Solis Guzman, Matthew Farias, and tens of thousands of other victims of gun violence should be alive. 1/
Yesterday morning, I was proud to join @wave4all, @oc_brady, @MomsDemand, and @Everytown for a discussion on how to end gun violence in this country, and how CA can continue to lead the way. 2/
I described my bill #SB264, which would end the sale of guns and ammunition on state property, thereby eliminating most gun shows at the county fairgrounds and getting the state of CA out of the business of selling guns. 3/
As I mentioned, we could not have gotten SB 264 passed out of the Senate without their incredible advocacy. I talked to a number of fellow Senators who told me about how their offices had been inundated with calls, emails, and visits (all polite but insistent for an aye vote). 4/
And even as we are dealing with the threat of a hostile, extremist, and activist judiciary, I will maintain that thanks to the amazing work of these moms & dads & kids & others, we are winning. Politicians feel increasingly emboldened to take on the gun lobby, thanks to YOU. 5/
I was also honored to join Carlsbad Councilmember @priyabhatpatel for a town hall yesterday afternoon on gun violence prevention. Dr. Bhat Patel's passion for ending gun violence is one of the reasons I am supporting her bid for the State Senate in #SD36. 6/
As recent events have made clear, we have a long fight ahead of us. But I am so heartened by all of the incredible enthusiasm and grassroots activism I see on a daily basis. It is we, the people, who are going to curb gun violence in this country. THANK YOU! 7/7

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Dave Min (davemin_ca on 🧵)

Dave Min (davemin_ca on 🧵) Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @DaveMinCA

Mar 10
🧵 I’m the Democrat running to succeed Katie Porter in #CA47 and I wanted to introduce myself. I beat back over $5 million in MAGA-funded attack ads to decisively win the primary. I’m battle-tested and ready to win this crucial swing seat. 1/
I’m a father, a CA State Senator, and a former UC Irvine law professor, who has been a leader in the fights to preserve women’s reproductive rights, prevent gun violence, and address climate change. But what I really want you to know about me is where I come from. 2/
I’m the son of Korean immigrants who came to this country in 1971. My younger brother Andrew is a Stanford-educated doctor and I’m a Harvard-educated lawyer, and in every way, we are the embodiment of the American Dream. 3/
Read 13 tweets
Nov 2, 2023
I started my legal career at the SEC right after the Enron and Worldcom accounting scandals. Later on in my career, I had to deal with the fallout from the financial crisis, which was sparked by bad mortgages bundled into complex securities. 1/
punchbowl.news/article/tim-sc…
The SEC was itself started after the massive and shocking securities frauds of the early 20th century, which many blamed for causing the stock market crash of 1929 and leading to the Great Depression. 2/
The SEC (and its counterpart the CFTC) were remarkably successful in promoting investor confidence, and I don't think it was a coincidence that America's greatest economic growth and capitali markets formation coincided with the rise of the SEC. 3/
Read 7 tweets
Oct 30, 2023
I was shocked to learn that my legislation barring the sale of guns and ammunition on state property, including most of our fairgrounds, was enjoined by a Trump-appointed judge on the thinnest of pretense. 1/
sfchronicle.com/politics/artic…
This is a glaring example of judicial activism of the worst kind, and a dire wake-up call to the very real dangers of political control by the MAGA wing of the GOP. This decision underscores the pressing imperative of electing a Democratic House majority to protect our values. 2/
California's vital ban on gun shows at state properties, encompassing our iconic fairgrounds sites, serves as a critical line of defense against the unchecked proliferation of firearms, including 'ghost guns' that circumvent essential background checks and traceability. 3/
Read 11 tweets
Sep 18, 2022
I don't pretend to be a foreign policy expert, but I think what is happening in Ukraine right now has much more massive implications for our global political and economic order than most people are realizing. 1/
Russia is finished as a "great power," China's influence has dramatically waned (due to the fact that it bet so heavily on its alliance with Russia), and there is a major reordering occurring right now among the former Soviet republics. 2/
This shakeup within the former USSR will have profound implications for European identity going forward.

At the same time, NATO's importance has increased significantly, and the role of the US as the beacon of freedom has been rekindled. 3/
Read 8 tweets
Sep 17, 2022
If you're not completely outraged about this DeSantis/Abbott stunt to transport immigrants to MA, you're not paying attention...

- The immigrants were falsely told there were jobs and free housing waiting for them.

1/
mvtimes.com/2022/09/15/att…
- FL and TX contacted Fox News about these planes, but did NOT contact local or state authorities, which of course meant that no one in Martha's Vineyard or Massachusetts had made any preparations to accommodate these Venezuelan asylum seekers.

2/
These immigrants were intentionally misled and told they should register with the wrong federal agency, which would ensure that they fell out of compliance with federal immigration law and would be subject to deportation.

3/
Read 6 tweets
Jun 28, 2022
This is an incredible, well-documented analysis that absolutely eviscerates the "originalist" claim that the Founders intended for the Second Amendment to encompass an individual right to bear arms. Worth reading in its entirety. 1/
politico.com/news/magazine/…
Things I learned from this piece:

James Madison, the author of 2A, twice introduced legislation in Virginia to ban the possession of guns in public (unless for military duty), making clear his belief that 2A did not prohibit restrictions on an individual right to bear arms.
2/
Thomas Jefferson and others tried (and failed) to introduce state constitutional provisions to protect an individual right to bear arms.

This clearly indicates that Jefferson did not believe the 2A protected an individual right to bear arms. 3/
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(