Magdi Jacobs Profile picture
Jun 7, 2021 8 tweets 5 min read Read on X
This is just how scientists talk. "It is inconsistent with evolutionary theory" *only* entails 1. they have a theoretical model concerning viral evolution & 2. there are features of this virus that did not match that theory. This happens in biology & other sciences *all* the time
Andersen went on to research the unique features of the virus and then their theory evolved. There is no conspiracy here. Andersen's letter to Nature Medicine explains their thought process. nature.com/articles/S4159…

Go onto google scholar. Read some of the articles on viruses, genomes, classification, etc. Scholars are tweaking their models & their data analyses *all the time*. Researchers spend their entire careers arguing about the classification of specific viruses & evolutionary models
Just skim these passages. You don't have to understand all the content. But pay attention to the framing. "Here's something we don't understand. Maybe this model will account for it."
Then go back and read the Fauci-Andersen exchange.
Doesn't seem so odd now, does it?
Go back & skim Andersen's *own* work in which he discusses the unique features of SarsCOV2

And realize just how ridiculous it is to assert that a scientist would risk their personal reputation to suppress info about a virus that they knew would be widely studied
Also, it is not odd that Andersen said "crack pot theories." It's like if a person were doing research on mice, said "this mouse's survival is inconsistent w/ my model," & was then asked if this inconsistency was evidence that his research team was building an army of Uber Mice
Finally, @NBCNews did a terrible job paraphrasing & quoting the email. "Some of the features look (potentially) engineered" is *way* more assertive than what Andersen actually said, which was more along the lines of, "if you look really, really closely, this is something strange"
Yes, it's a direct quote, but the removal of the context changes both the tone and meaning. I'm not being nitpicky.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Magdi Jacobs

Magdi Jacobs Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @magi_jay

Jun 30
If Trump wins this election, NATO might fall. Start thinking about what that means. The US has the most powerful military in the world. The US is thus the most powerful member of NATO. NATO was created to deter Russia. What happens if the US leaves? More European-based warfare.
Trump intimated earlier this year, as he has many times before, that he doesn't care about NATO. NATO is a deterrence force. The main aspect of this deterrence is the US military. Putin has invaded Ukraine & has sights on Moldova. What happens if the US leaves?
Think about it in terms of military. Putin, right now, has to judge his attacks against the weight of NATO, which is primarily afforded by the US. What happens if the US leaves? You have France & Britain, alone. As well as Poland. To defend the entirety of Europe.
Read 9 tweets
Jun 29
The Republican party is weaker than it's ever been. They were historically slaughtered in a midterm election. A convicted felon is their nominee. They have a hard & low ceiling of support. You wanna talk about Democrats' weaknesses? Fine. Start acknowledging the other side.
The Republicans are running a race where they are trying to persuade *zero* voters to join their side. The conventional wisdom of moderating in a general went in the trash long ago. They are trying to get out their own voters & to *soften* Democratic support.
The race is tied, right now. Given all of these facts, the most idiotic political strategy is to bicker among ourselves & display a lack of confidence. They're trying to get out their voters? We respond w/ our own GOTV. We respond w/ inspiration & strength.
Read 10 tweets
Jun 28
CNN's first comments were about how Biden's performance was bad, based on the first 10 minutes. I don't think that's a good analysis.
Everything is about the first few minutes. Everything.
But actually CNN is doing well talking about Trump's lies.
Read 6 tweets
Jun 27
Why is it so hard for the American political press to understand that a person with a diagnosed stutter might actually stutter?
This is @JoeBiden's response to the first question in a recent interview w/ @TIME. Do you think he sounds "singularly inarticulate," as @NewYorker just described him? time.com/6984968/joe-bi…

Here is Biden giving what I thought was a compelling response to questions about the ME. I have underlined the part where he either stutters or misspeaks: "oil line." I've also underlined the reason for this error: he's already thinking about oil & the future of the region. Image
Read 9 tweets
Jun 21
Pitting Jews against Black people & vice versa is a PsychOp w/ roots in Russian propaganda. The strongest non-Jewish voices against antisemitism on this site have been Black Center-Leftists. As a white gentile, I am forever grateful for their logic, receipts, & moral backbone.
I vaguely remember hearing of inter-community conflicts in NYC. If such conflicts existed, they were locally-determined. Not national or at a group level. Nowadays, I see not only allyship w/ Jews from Black communities but real "Leadership" on the issue of antisemitism.
It's been incredible to witness. First, all this old Soviet propaganda popping up in modern formulations. Then, bots pretending to be Black people talking about oppression by Jews. Then bots pretending to be Jews who are racist. Etc. Many fell for it. Not Black Center-Leftists.
Read 8 tweets
Jun 4
The scientific consensus is that COVID19 is of zoonotic origin. We should ask why the @nytimes presents us w/ non-scientific arguments that run against this consensus, just as Fauci testifies in front of a clan of Republican witch-hunters in Congress. Image
The false equivalency of the press has gone on for so long that we seem to have almost exhausted our ability to respond to it. Whether it's the Republican party vs. The Democratic Party or, in this case, The Scientific Consensus vs. The Unfounded Conspiracy Theory.
Why are Republicans in Congress witch-hunting Fauci? Why do Republicans even care about the origins of COVID? What are their goals, here? Those are questions we should answer. We should then move on to ask questions about how the American press advances these Republican goals.
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(