MT Capital Profile picture
Jun 9, 2021 16 tweets 7 min read Read on X
If you could go back in time to when you first started investing and give yourself advice what would it be? I asked some of favourite fintwit accounts what they thought, a thread👇(1/n)
Starting with myself (2/n)
@FromValue (3/n)
@ParrotStock (5/n)
@MazwoodCap (8/n)
@Invesquotes (10/n)
@Innovestor_ (11/n)
@SleepwellCap (13/n)
@BuyandHoldd (15/n)
Thank you to all the wonderful gentlemen that participated in this. I think there’s a valuable lessons within. If you liked this thread give it a retweet and I’ll do some more soon 👇

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with MT Capital

MT Capital Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @MT_Capital1

Feb 5, 2023
$LVMH's Bernard Arnault is often known as "The Wolf in Cashmere", a nickname garnered for the predatory way he approaches acquisitions.

However, sometimes a company survives unscathed. Hermès $RMS.PA $HESAY is one of those instances. Here's how they did it 🧵
1/ This tale arguably starts with the Hermes’ desire to fund expansionary efforts. In 1993, Jean-Louis Dumas, the then-captain of this luxury behemoth’s ship, decided to float 4% of its shares in 1993, a figure that was later increased to 25% shortly thereafter.
2/ Arnault, seeking to bolster his luxury empire with the addition of one of the most important pillars of the industry, saw this as an opportunity, unable to pass up the intrigue of an acquisition attempt with so much of the company trading publicly. Enter the Wolf in Cashmere
Read 9 tweets
Jan 21, 2023
Michael Burry needs no introduction.

His letters from his time at the helm of the Scion Value Fund are an absolute must-read.

Here are my 9 favourite excerpts 🧵👇
1/ What exactly was the fund's strategy? Here's how Michael Burry put it:
2/ Michael Burry on why volatility doesn't measure risk:
Read 12 tweets
Jan 18, 2023
The founder of Copart, Willis Johnson, demonstrated a masterclass in entrepreneurship, work ethic, and ingenuity while at the helm of the $CPRT.

As a result of that foundation $CPRT has massively outpaced the market.

Here are of his insightful business lessons🧵
1/ First off - "earn a PhD in common sense". Johnson didn't tread the path of a typical MBA executive. instead, he learned lessons from a dairy farm, his businessman father who provided for his family despite being unable to read, and in the military in Vietnam.
2/ "Take care of your pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves." Excerpt from his book Junk to Gold:
Read 12 tweets
Jan 5, 2023
Last year, I spent a few weeks diving deeply into $COST. One thing became clear - this company is one of the most exceptionally run businesses in history.

Here are some interesting tidbits from my research👇🧵
1/ $COST's origin stories can be traced back all the way to Sol Price, one of the first entrepreneurs that capitalized on the discount retail business model w/ Fed-Mart in 1954. After being ousted from Fed-Mart, Price then started Price-Club, which later merged with $COST in 1993 Image
2/ $COST is exclusive. As Gandalf once said, you shall not pass (that is if you don't have Costco membership). Memberships include Gold & Business at $60 or Exec (cash-back perk) at $120 annually. Millions of people are members & increasing amounts are opting for to be Execs ImageImage
Read 12 tweets
Dec 30, 2022
Every year I read as many books on finance, investing & business as possible.

As 2022 comes to a close, here is my updated top-10 list of must-reads 🧵👇
1/ Let's start with the works of my favourite author, Nassim Taleb. These key constituents of the Incerto series are an absolute must to develop your understanding of probabilistic thinking, randomness, and resiliency. They are as entertaining as they are informative
2/ My favourite read of 2022 was the Price of Time. Within, Edward Chancellor provides a succinct history of interest rates, associated policies, and their unintended implications. As we exit a period of essentially ZIRP, this was extremely useful for gaining some perspective
Read 12 tweets
Dec 15, 2022
Nomad Investment Partnership returned 921% from 2001-2014, beating the MSCI World Index by 804% during that same time.

Their letters, written by Nick Sleep, are full of amazing pieces of wisdom.

I read 13 years of these masterpieces, here are my 13 favourite excerpts 🧵:
1/ Nomad was a global investment fund. Its investments, which Sleep and co researched in a manner akin to good "detective work", were evaluated using three core principles:
2/ The fund is arguably best known for its prolific investment in $COST. I enjoyed this excerpt discussing how $COST is a business that sees no need to fix what is already performing extraordinary well:
Read 16 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(