Jerusalem Profile picture
Jun 11, 2021 20 tweets 8 min read Read on X
New >> People want someone to blame for today's dumpster fire of a housing market.

It feels terrible to be priced out of the market as a new homebuyer and BlackRock is a convenient scapegoat.

But the real culprits aren't on Wall Street. (Thread)
vox.com/22524829/wall-…
Institutional investors (like BlackRock) are an absolutely tiny part of the market.

They own around 300,000 single family units as of 2019. For context, there are 15 million one-unit detached single family home rentals and 80 million detached single family homes total.
Additionally, it's not even clear that they're gaining in market share over the last year. John Burns Real Estate Consulting put out research tracking the investor purchase percentage of total home sales and it has been declining.
CoreLogic says that small investors are actually what's been driving the increase in US homebuying rates, not institutional ones like private equity. (This is pre-Covid, we don't have thorough data yet for the last couple of years)
The John Burns research is what most articles (including that very popular WSJ article) are using to claim that institutional investors are a competing with normal homebuyers and driving up home prices.

But... the research doesn't really say that.
First, the authors are clear that they do NOT believe we are in an investor-induced home price bubble today.
Importantly, they are tracking *all investors*, not just private equity. Essentially they look to see if the zip code on the property tax records matches the home's zip code to see if it's owner-occupied.

That includes not just PE but small landlords, house flippers, and iBuyers
So it's hard to extrapolate from this data exactly who these people are. There is a lot of evidence that there are a ton of new second home buyers over the last year.

And many realtors have said they've observed all-cash purchases as being rich out-of-towners outbidding locals.
But we've also seen many reports that institutional investors are upping the ante. So it's certainly possible that they will increase their market share but they are still a *very* small part of the overall market.
Okay, but even if they're a small part of the market, couldn't they be outbidding regular Americans when they do try and buy homes?

Maybe, but there are reasons to be skeptical that they're directly competing with would-be normal homebuyers.
Laurie Goodman (@MortgageLaurie) explains that institutional investors have a comparative advantage in buying homes that need tens of thousands of dollars in repairs. So they're usually competing with *other* investors like house flippers or iBuyers.
In a market this competitive it's certainly possible that some people are trying to buy homes that need $50,000 in repairs but... it's not really clear to me that it's a bad thing if they are prevented from doing so. That's a terrible investment for most people.
John Burns's research also points to specific submarkets where investor activity has been very hot. But single family rental lobbying group (@NRHCouncil) claims that they have incredibly small market shares even at the local level.
But! If we continue to block the development of new homes it's feasible that these types of investors will grow to be a larger part of the market. @_willparker_ has a great story on the built-to-rent market that is starting to bloom. wsj.com/articles/built…
There's a secondary question to all of this of whether it would be bad if institutional investors had a larger market share.

@francescamari had a great piece about the ways in which PE firms harm people and the inherent asymmetries of power and info. nytimes.com/2020/03/04/mag…
Some assume that small landlords are better and less exploitative.

While it's true they don't have the incentive to return $$ to their shareholders, they do often ignore tenant law/fair housing law. We need more research to know which is worse for tenants!
But even if these large investors are competing directly with would-be homeowners, why should we preference homeowners over the renters that will be able to live in these homes?

There's a shortage of rental housing *AND* homes for sale!
The fundamental reason these large investors are gaining market share is because we have turned housing into a quickly appreciating asset. These companies are just searching for yield!

Build more homes! That gives tenants more power and it reduces the incentive for PE to invest!
Blaming BlackRock is just temporary catharsis. The real culprits look much more innocuous, and they'll be much harder to root out.

NIMBY's and the local officials they elect have blocked new housing for decades. Today's market is the necessary result of those policy choices.
Full piece here! vox.com/22524829/wall-…

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Jerusalem

Jerusalem Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @JerusalemDemsas

Jan 18
New >> I went to Minneapolis to find the fake environmentalists -- instead I met a bunch of real ones.

On the culture war brewing inside environmentalism:

theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/…
The housing crisis is dividing the environmental coalition. The pressure to build is coming into conflict with laws and values skeptical of development.

In Minneapolis, residents have overturned years of pro-housing laws by suing under a '70s environmental law.

Supporters of pro-housing policies (YIMBYs, and some environmental groups) often view their opponents as "fake environmentalists."

But what I found were two different versions of environmentalism, battling it out for dominance. Image
Read 8 tweets
Aug 8, 2023
New >> In 2020 DC planted 35 trees on a small, publicly owned hill, kicking off one of the strangest controversies I've come across when reporting on local government.

The first I heard about the trees is when Ward 8 Councilmember Trayon White introduced an emergency resolution to remove three trees in his ward.

The argument? Apparently the trees constituted a public safety risk and could negatively impact property values.
I needed to see these trees for myself.

I assumed there would be some glaring problem, maybe not one that required removal, but *something* to make me understand why this would even reach the desk of a DC Councilmember. Here's a picture of one of the offending saplings. Image
Read 14 tweets
Dec 20, 2022
The American love affair with homeownership needs to come to an end.

theatlantic.com/newsletters/ar…
The article is long, so I'm going to pull out just a few points into this thread.
1) Making long term bets on real estate is tricky business. During the 1990s, Cleveland's home price growth outpaced San Francisco's. I'm a believer in cities but remote work is eating away at central business districts... how confident are you? Enough to bet all your savings?
Read 13 tweets
Dec 12, 2022
Some problems are conceptually difficult — improving underperforming schools, helping people heal from traumatic life events — but homelessness isn’t one of them.

We know how to solve the crisis — so why don’t we?

theatlantic.com/magazine/archi…
First, rebuttals of the common beliefs that homelessness is *caused* by mental illness, drug abuse, the weather, or social programs.
tl;dr if any of those factors were causing homelessness, places with higher rates of drug abuse for instance would see more homelessness — they don’t! theatlantic.com/magazine/archi…
Read 9 tweets
Nov 23, 2022
New >> Three rules for thanksgiving: Don’t bring up politics, religion, or housing policy.

New research from @ClaytonNall, @CSElmendorf, and @stan_okl indicates that 30-40 percent of people that building new homes would *increase* the cost of housing!
This, according to their findings, is not a general confusion with the effect of increased or decreases supply. When it comes to other industries, respondents tend to get the right answer!
Read 7 tweets
Oct 23, 2022
A few responses to some of the twitter hubbub around my article!

First, I want to say that the heated conversation replicates many of the problems I address in my article — namely how unrepresentative the people engaging on twitter are.
If I total up the texts, emails, DMs and private comments from people within and outside the climate space, the feedback leans positive — folks who aren’t sure of their final opinion but are interested in points I raise/are increasingly concerned about sluggishness in the system.
Read 17 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(