Akiva Cohen Profile picture
Jun 24, 2021 56 tweets 18 min read Read on X
Rudy Giuliani, suspended (and likely soon disbarred former) attorney.

nycourts.gov/courts/ad1/cal…
Here's the TL;DR upfront: Rudy lied to courts, legislators, and the public, in his role as a lawyer.

Contrary to popular belief, lawyers are not actually allowed to do that
Rudy, right now
Important stuff from the 1st Department here. They are recognizing both that suspension here is an extraordinary remedy rarely granted - and also that Rudy's misconduct is so clear, and so uniquely dangerous to everyone that it justifies the suspension.
Sorry for the unscheduled intermission; actual client work called
The 1st Department then applies that high standard, and notes that Rudy expressly conceded that everything he said was as part of his representation of Trump.

That's important. If he was making the exact same claims in his role as a private citizen, they'd be 1A protected
That's a minor problem for Rudy, because, well, his primary defense was "I have a first amendment right to lie about this stuff"

Problem? SCOTUS has already made clear that professional restrictions on practice as a lawyer can be tighter than what the 1A allows
And that makes sense, right? I have an absolute first amendment right to call Judge John Johanneson a condescending, smarmy, scandinavian sonofabitch. (Note: If such a person actually exists I'm sure he's an excellent jurist. Don't sanction me, bro!). But ... not in court I don't
This profession is regulated and has rules of admission; when we're acting in our capacity as attorneys, that means we have to comply with those rules when they serve important interests, 1A or not.

That's why Gentile lost his case when he was disciplined for speaking at a press
conference after his client was indicted, in violation of a gag rule designed to preserve the availability of an unbiased jury; the public interest being protected was great, so the rule passed muster.

Don't lie (to the court/public) as part of representation will always pass
that level of analysis.

Sorry.
Rudy's other defense is "look, even if what I said was false, I thought it was true!"

And the Court says "yep, that would definitely be a defense"

And suspended him anyway
I am really really looking forward to reading the rest of this, not gonna lie
Rudy, Rudy, Rudy, come on now. How can you be this bad at legal strategy? You had to know "I have information, trust me, I just don't want to tell you what it is" was never going to fly, right?
Wait, right, this is Rudy. Of course he can be this bad.
Look, I'll be honest, lawyers being bad at math isn't misconduct. Though, I guess knowing that 3M is larger than 2.5M isn't technically math, and Rudy WAS capable of subtracting 1.8M (his made up number of ballots mailed out) from 2.5M. So ... ok, I can see it
Rudy admits, yeah, that wasn't true (note: bookmark this screenshot for the next time some election conspiracist cites this bonkers claim) but claims it wasn't his fault. Again, though, he submits a total of ZERO evidence in support of his explanation.
Sorry, more paying the bills and taking care of clients. Be back in a moment
Should've included this in the prior tweet. Turns out lying to the public about the election being stolen by 700K fraudulent absentee ballots, in service to a client, is a big fucking problem
Next we have Schrodinger's Fraud Claim

Y'all will remember this one. The Pennsylvania plaintiffs filed a bunch of insane claims in the federal court about how the election observers were treated. Then they amended the complaint to withdraw those claims.
And then Rudy showed up at the hearing and argued them
In a fucking terrific example of a callback joke, Rudy's defense on this appears to be "but your Honors, it was *Shrodinger's* Fraud Claim"

No, seriously: "I eventually admitted there was no fraud claim"
Hey, @questauthority, turns out the two of us are 1/1850th of one small part of the reason Rudy got suspended!
Oh.
Turns out that if you're going to lie for a client about dead people voting, and you want to preserve the ability to later claim that you thought it was true, you should really try to keep the lie *consistent*
This ... this is just ... it's art, right? @ArtDeciderV2?
I mean ...
So, count this as yet another court decision finding AS A FACTUAL MATTER that Trump's election claims are false

And I mean, you say you're not deciding Dominion's claims, but man oh man are they ever going to be quoting this decision for actual malice
Coup de grace on this one
C'mon, Rudy.
"The dog ate my due diligence" is not ever going to be a good defense, Rudy!
Bryan Geels, btw, is a random CPA and "data analytics" guy; he's not anyone who would know who registered to vote in GA, let alone who actually voted
74, 2500, it's all the same. Math, remember?
Also, you can't go around telling people "This definitely happened" when the best your "expert" can manage is "it's possible that this could have happened"
More fun with math and reality
Good God, Rudy really believed he was untouchable
Again, btw, ALL RUDY HAD TO DO to avoid this outcome was say "when I was doing my radio show, I wasn't representing a client. I was sharing my own views"

Why would he not just say that?
Next we have the Georgia "suitcases under tables" nonsense. As the court points out, it's false and Rudy knew it, because he admitted watching the whole video
But also, why is Rudy arguing that his conclusion was reasonable? The misconduct he's being charged with requires knowing falsehood. Even an unreasonable belief that the video showed misconduct would've saved him
Instead, he left that argument on the table ... and got hit with this
BTW, how many lies is that now?
1) Lying about the number of PA absentee ballots
2) Lying about Schrödinger's Fraud Claim
3) Lying about dead people voting in Philly
4) Lying about dead people voting in GA
5) Lying about felons voting in GA
6) Lying about teens voting in GA ...
7) Lying about the GA vote totals being manipulated
8) Lying about "suitcases under tables"

And we're not done?!
So this is an interesting one to me
Like, look, I'm obviously not a fan of Giuliani's. He's a stain on the profession and has no sympathy at all from me. But when someone says, in that context, "Do you think 10K illegal aliens voted ... we know they did" - he's not making a fact claim. He's making an argument
A stupid, ridiculous, unsupported argument, playing to bigotry, but an argument nonetheless. It's "come on, this must have happened, right?"

Now, maybe Rudy didn't make that point to the 1AD. But this is the one finding that seems on shaky ground. To me, anyway
Anyway, after all that, the Court points out that this isn't the full spectrum of Rudy's misconduct, and they expect to hear more when the Grievance Committee files formal charges. But it's *enough*
Um ...
Substantial. Permanent. Sanctions.
Folks, that is NOT what you want to hear from the Appellate Division on an interim order.

That's "turn in your bar card, you're done" stuff.
A model of self restraint, our Rudy is.
So yeah, discipline can't wait, because this stuff matters.
And this is just the pitch perfect ending to the decision, before the order
I spent most of November, December, and January being asked if the attorneys who were knowingly lying for President Trump & attacking our democracy would suffer any consequences.

I can't tell you how happy I am that the answer is - in at least this one case - a resounding "yes"

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Akiva Cohen

Akiva Cohen Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @AkivaMCohen

Jun 30, 2023
OK, time to get myself ratioed.

The SCOTUS affirmative action decision was legally wrong - poorly reasoned and legally silly. But in the long run, and if it spurs schools to use socioeconomic status and opportunity as the finger on the scales, it will be a net positive
Race is a blunt instrument, and I think we *all* agree that, for example, Willow Smith doesn't need or warrant any sort of bump on her college application. But Willow Smith is a WILD outlier and "but what about [insert rare exception]" isn't a useful policy framework
So yeah, it was perfectly reasonable for universities to use that blunt instrument.

As many of these university reaction statements are making clear, the burden will now be to find finer instruments that allow for the same intended benefit of taking into account the very real
Read 7 tweets
Jun 9, 2023
This thread from Yesh is a good example of a philosophical mistake I like to call "solutionism" - the belief that if a problem is bad enough then there must be a solution out there to resolve it, because "yeah, it sucks, it can't be solved for" is too unthinkable to bear
You see it a lot in the context of Israel/Palestine, with people convinced that the right mixture of fairy dust & button pushing can lead to a peaceful resolution that addresses all of the important and competing imperatives, it's just that nobody has found the right mixture yet
And we're seeing it with "a large portion of the population is willing to believe any prosecution of crimes by Trump is political"

Yes, that sucks. Yes, that's a potentially society-destroying problem.

No, there isn't a solution
Read 8 tweets
Jun 9, 2023
@yesh222 You don't worry about that, because it's not a solveable problem. You keep doing the right thing and hope that convictions and mounting evidence prevents more people from joining the conspiracy theorists, but that's all you can do
@yesh222 I said this 4 years ago, and it's proven true in every particular.

Read 4 tweets
May 19, 2023
That she was the one stealing the bike.

Literally nothing she did on the video is consistent with her new story. When her colleague came over and the kids said "that's his bike, he already paid for it" she didn't deny it, or look surprised by the claim.
Like ... how do you determine truth in a they-said-she-said situation? Watch human behavior. Throughout the video, the kids' tone is exactly what you'd expect for someone who believes their own story. Hers very much is not
And when her colleague comes and suggests that the kids get another bike, and they say "no, he paid for that bike, he unlocked it, it's his" there's exactly no reaction of "no, *I* paid for it" or "what the hell", which is what you'd expect if they were lying
Read 4 tweets
May 9, 2023
Hey, Twitter, and especially my #LitigationDisasterTourists, gather round. B/cwhile DM is focusing in on the court finding that selling videogame cheats is criminal copyright infringement and RICO, I'd like to tell you about something different. The CFAA, and @KathrynTewson
And don't get me wrong - that RICO stuff is big news that should be sending shockwaves through the cheat software industry. Cheatmakers often use resellers. Being found liable on a RICO violation means that every reseller could potentially be liable for 100% of the damage caused
by the cheat software.

And by 100%, of course, I mean 300%, since RICO comes with treble damages. Plus attorneys' fees. So that's a big deal.

As is the finding that it's criminal copyright infringement. Those are both new precedents in the area, and that's huge.
Read 21 tweets
Mar 8, 2023
I'm not inclined to forgive antisemitism, but this is more a learning opportunity than a defenestration opportunity. There are people who still legitimately don't understand that "Jew down" or "gyp" are slurs; it's just a phrase they've grown up around and use w/o thought
And yes, he doubled down when called out on it. That's almost always going to happen when someone who sincerely doesn't believe they're doing anything bigoted is called out for it in a public setting.

The real test will be whether he can learn (& apologize) as he gets more info
Also, HOLY FUCKING SHIT @pnj, you couldn't find an *actual* Jew to get a quote from, so you decided to go to a Christian LARPing as a Jew for missionizing purposes? What the absolute fuck? pnj.com/story/news/loc…
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(