Solarchitect | Sunbeam carpenter Profile picture
Jun 24, 2021 11 tweets 3 min read Read on X
7 lessons I learned in

7 years of practice as an architect & builder.

☀️thread☀️

VVV

1. Architecture & construction is a trust based business... Image
Architecture & construction is a trust based business so...

Every promise and handshake has its weight.

Homebuilding is intensely personal therefore very emotional business.

It is only understandable when someone trusts you with their lifetime of savings or mortgage payments.
2. Everyone underestimates costs, time & complexity.

Clients always wish for more, builders want to simplify and architects create with ambition.

95% of my builds ended up bigger, flashier and more expensive despite all efforts because the Ego is fed & Soul not nurtured.
3. We lost connection to Nature and the outside world.

We sweat to build the most high-tech, sophisticated buildings, and disregard surroundings like we're on Mars,

to be confined all the time in comfort-incubators, while we'd only need an outdoor kitchen with a chill garden. Image
4. Aesthetics are not subjective - they are defined by the local context.

The cheapest, most durable and beautiful home in any given place

is the one which responds the best to the challenges of the climate, the swing of the seasons and the lay of the land. Image
5. There is always a hidden challenge which wrecks everyone's mind. Be it a leaking winter garden, a door with wrong opening direction or a crooked step of stairs,

when it appears, tension reaches critical mass and everything blows up. Image
6. The XXth century created a broken system with damaging incentives and we don't have a solution yet.

Why? Because life is so radically different than 100 years ago that we can't just go back to the old ways...
We have to establish new traditions and styles of living which don't just mimick the old but embrace everything what's good about the progress of the last 100 years. Image
7. Enduring quality is low time preference.

Don't rush it, let the land and teach you, you will only be content with what you've created if you enjoy every decision, every minor detail and resonate fully with your surroundings. Image
If you read this far I'll express my gratitude with this quote:

"There is a myth, sometimes widespread, that a person need only do inner work...that a man is entirely responsible for his own problems; and that to cure himself, he need only change himself….
The fact is, a person is so formed by his surroundings, that his state of harmony depends entirely on his harmony with his surroundings."

~ Christopher Alexander

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Solarchitect | Sunbeam carpenter

Solarchitect | Sunbeam carpenter Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @Solarchitects

Jun 29, 2023
7 tricks I use to make houses feel bigger - thread

Let's see them work in my latest project for a sustainable village, the first & most important:

1. Windows on multiple walls:

This pattern alone helps make spaces at least 20% bigger, it evens out light both in space & time.

2. Walking towards light

If you look closely, almost every circulation direction faces a window.

Sometimes just a small nieche for a flower and a sliver of light, but makes a big impact in how do we perceive space.

3. Ceiling height variety

This pattern gives a dynamic to any home, and especially lifts the feel and value of the living spaces. However it is easy to overdo or botch the proportions.

Higher ceilings lead to clearer thoughts.
Read 7 tweets
Mar 19, 2023
Self-building or managing building your own home with a design of your choice or completely custom has many advantages over buying a home on the market:

- customisation
- cost control/savings
- quality control
- health & energy efficiency
- pride of ownership

- a short thread
1. By self-building you can customise

- size of home
- exterior design, materials, style
- window sizes and orientation
- degrees of intimacy
- interior finishes
- equipments
- cabinetry
- phasing out different stages on the timeline
- cashflow
- and everything else
2. You can control costs by

- tailoring the size of the home specifically to your needs or finding a design that suits you
- you can do some work yourself or source materials directly
- can defer some phases for later (finishing some rooms later, landscaping etc.)
Read 7 tweets
Mar 18, 2023
How to build better with the most conventional & affordable structure?

Timber Frame megathread is here!

I'll present you traditional framing ideas, the popular stick built and some cool evolutions that can be used especially in solar timber frame builds.

Let's dive in

1. Post n beam

- the simple classic timber framing style that uses thick timber posts, beams and rafters held together primarily through mortise & tennon joints fastened with wooden pins.

It grants an air of timeless stability and safety.

Source: Hand hewn by Jack Sobon.
2. Cruck frame

-is a unique evolution of post and beam that uses curved timber beams to create high ceilings, wider spans, all in harmony with gravity.

It conveys an atmosphere of both grace and resilience, you feel these can weather out history.

My favorite framing pattern!
Read 15 tweets
Jan 21, 2023
13. Farmhouse kitchen

The kitchen is the most important public space of any home, the true family room, the center of activity.

Must the bright, spacious, fully equipped to handle all cooking, not separated from the rest of the house but in the center of it.
14. Spa bathroom

Cleaning up is only a small part of bathing, bathing involves a whole host of other activities we forgot in our quest for modernity.

Those pleasurable, therapeutic activities that clean our mind and senses can only be enjoyed in a proper bathing room.
15. Kid's nooks and common realms

Designing cookie cutter individual rooms for children is harmful. In their early years it is much better to create a large common learn and playroom & some small sleeping nooks at either end.

This arrangement is much healthier for youngsters.
Read 8 tweets
Jan 21, 2023
A framework to create buildings that are alive.

The most important evolution for my practice was discovering Christopher Alexander & his work, specially his Timeless Way of Building & A Pattern Language books.

Here are my favourite patterns defined by him:

{29th thread of 30}
1. A thousand independent regions

"Wherever possible, work toward the evolution of independent regions in the world; each with a population between 2 and 10M; each with its own natural and geographic boundaries; each with its own economy each one autonomous and self-governing"
This is the very first principle laid out by Ch.A., basically his call for a decentralised world of a thousand collaborating regions,

something akin to how Switzerland and Austria still manage to operate today as small but independent and resilient countries.
Read 17 tweets
Jan 16, 2023
You live up north and want to build your energy-independent eskimo hut for the 21st century?

Buckle up 'cause here's my thread for better buildings in cold & arctic climates.

28th thread of 30.

Here's a map with climate zones so you can identify where you belong:

Cold - light blue
Arctic - pale blue.

Temperatures are determined by many factors, but it is very important to know your latitude because it determines the travel of the sun in winter & potential heat gains.
Solar principle - The norther you go the more important is to orient the home to the exact south because the sun has a narrower travel in the winter - from southeast to southwest.
Read 24 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(