Hilluminati Profile picture
Jun 25, 2021 8 tweets 3 min read Read on X
If you can find Tony Gilroy’s script for this, it’s amazing. It’s one of the scripts I always read before starting on an assignment. There are three scripts I re-read before every feature gig. MICHAEL CLAYTON by Tony Gilroy…
THE HUSTLER by Robert Rossen and Sydney Carroll.
ALIEN by Walter Hill, Ronald Shussett and Dan O’Bannon (but I think the draft I have is mostly Walter Hill).
Depending on the tone of what I’m writing, I’ll also read THELMA AND LOUISE by @CallieKhouri

So four.
Also in the rotation are THE BOURNE SUPREMACY, also by Tony Gilroy…
…and more recently, BLADE RUNNER 2049 by Hampton Fancher and @andmichaelgreen

This one especially for how to build a design heavy world in a script without stacking the page with needless description. It’s so efficient but equally evocative.
I believe most of the above are published. You can also find drafts online in various places.

Now, I’m not nearly as good as any of the people above, hahahaha, but I read them!
And don’t sleep on THE HUSTLER because it’s “an old movie.”

That script SLAPS like it was written tomorrow. It’s so contemporary. Really ahead of its time.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Hilluminati

Hilluminati Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @bryanedwardhill

Sep 27, 2023
Morning coffee art talk.

While SAG is still on strike (let's give them solidarity) this is an excellent time to study the craft of film acting so we can all work better with actors when the strike is over. Here are some great YouTube resources that can level up your game...
This older video by Michael Caine is fantastic. He's speaking actor to actor, but it's something anyone that WORKS with actors should watch. An hour of viewing and you'll be a full letter grade more prepare to direct actors --

This @IndieFilmHustle podcast with Judy Weston has bountiful insights about working through on set friction and how to empower a performer to sculpt a performance without getting in the way of their agency as actors.

Read 6 tweets
Jun 5, 2023
Been studying Adrian Lyne’s films, breaking down his “look.” He’s worked with multiple DP’s, but his aesthetics are common between his films, so I’ll attribute them to him.

Let’s use FLASHDANCE (1983, recently released in 4K) for some general aesthetic trademarks… Image
The vast majority of his films are “city films” and he likes to establish that in the opening credits (often red on black) with texture. So get those city shots up. Image
Especially wide shots with corridors of buildings. Wet reflections everywhere are a bonus. Also: don’t fear the grain. LOVE the grain. Image
Read 19 tweets
Jun 1, 2023
Just got off a zoom with a very talented young filmmaker I'm (sort of) mentoring -- and I shared an exercise that I find useful for storytelling. I'll share it here too in case it helps someone reading...
How I battle writer's block -- I use THESIS STATEMENTS. I often ask people what their story is about, and when they start telling me plot, I stop them...because that's just plot. It's not what the story is about in philosophical terms, and writers ARE philosophers.
A thesis statement is something you believe is true. Philosophically. It's a CORE belief that you can engage and prove in your writing. If you have a strong, personal thesis, you can generate endless stories from it. How I arrive at my own...
Read 11 tweets
May 23, 2023
I’m studying Nolan’s Batman films and I’m noticing all the effective “feed lines” in the scripts.

What’s a “feed line?” It’s my term for a line that’s there to set up a character for a zinger — often as a question. In THE DARK KNIGHT…
“What do you believe in?!”

“I believe whatever doesn’t kill you, makes you…stranger.”
In THE DARK KNIGHT RISES — the whole Bane/Plane scene has a BUNCH of them

“If I pull that off will you die?”

“It would be extremely painful.”

“You’re a big guy.”

“…for you.”
Read 10 tweets
Jan 24, 2023
Small thread about dealing with the dark times when you're building your creative career -- and most of us went through some dark times on the way.

If you're there now, maybe this will help?
About ten years ago, I was in a REALLY dark place. Had no idea if I could succeed, and life gave me a lot of evidence that I wouldn't succeed. All of the fun and excitement of a risky life choice left me and there was just a lot of fear in its place.

So how did I manage?
At first, terribly. I just sank and kept sinking. Got numb for a bit, then right back into sinking deeper.

I wrote something, not to sell, really, but just a story where I could get out all of the terrible, dark things I was feeling -- but a story that had a positive ending...
Read 11 tweets
Dec 29, 2022
Speaking to Noam’s comment in further detail…

For a first short, I’d suggest doing a “one shot film” — now, I don’t mean a complicated one take (although that’s a fine experiment) I mean just film a scripted conversation in a well composed two shot.
Steve McQueen is one of my favorite filmmakers, and there’s a brilliant example of this in his film HUNGER.
Eventually the scene breaks into shot/reverse shot — but the red meat of it lives in the two shot.

Something you can do with an iPhone and a well hidden microphone. Image
If you’re building voice, I suggest LIMITING the amount of things you have to manage so you can manage them in GREATER DETAIL. Especially in a short film.

If you’re chasing budget and conceding on every choice, you may learn less about yourself as an artist.
Read 6 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(