Sierkovitz Profile picture
Jul 2, 2021 11 tweets 5 min read Read on X
New D&D expansion #MTGDND brings d20 rolls toMagic. Here is how to look at these random effects and my thoughts on some of the cards. Firstly, majority of the cards have 1-9 as baseline effect, 10-19 as bonus and 20 as a large success leading to these percentages: 1/x
Good Magic players tend to maximise deterministic outcomes, and even with die rolls, it is to some extent possible. To get there, Pixie Guide lets you roll more dice and chose the highest outcome: 2/x
How does it change outcomes? By quite a lot. Having a Pixie Guide more than halves the probability of lowest outcome, and nearly doubles the probability of rolling a 20, which usually comes with large bonus. The 10-19 outcome increases to 70% - which is much more reliable. 3/x
Having two Guides means you are MORE likely to roll a 20 than rolling the 1-9. and your odds of rolling 10 or more reach 91%. At the level of 2 Guides you can sort of start treating the 10-19 effect or better as deterministic with a small fail rate. 4/x
The uncertainty of die rolls can be offset by bonuses from die rolling payoffs. There are 4 spoiled so far. Some unconditional, some result oriented. Unconditional are pure value, especially Feywild Trickster looks great to me. Dwarf may be good if a 1/3 body is relevant. 5/x
Farideh has a mix of unconditional effect (flying menace) and a conditional draw. Here are the odds of drawing a card based on the Pixie Guide count - with 2x Guide you draw 9/10 times.
(btw - thx to @MTGGoldfish
for those translated versions, very useful at this stage)
6/x
@MTGGoldfish Critical Hit on the other hand, gets back to your hand from the graveyard whenever you roll a 20. It is not a realistically reproducible effect with no support, but a bonus happening once very 20 roll spells you play, but with some guides you can make the bonus every 7 spells 7/x
@MTGGoldfish Maybe I should have mentioned earlier: I am not a fan of random effects in magic. Games should not be determined on a coin flip if I can avoid it. But I think the design team managed to navigate the cards really well. The low rolls still fulfil the cards main role. 8/x
@MTGGoldfish You still get 1 life rolling 1 with Sylvan Shepherd, triggering life gain synergies, Lightfoot Rogue is still a deathtouch creature, etc. So I will start by treating the low roll result as a baseline and everything above it as a bonus, I am not expecting, but happy to get 9/x
@MTGGoldfish There are few cards I do have doubts: Scion of Stygia being one, and Power of Persuasion the other. Tapping a creature is very different from tapping and not making it untap. And I have a suspicion sometimes rolling 20 with Power of Persuasion is worse than rolling 19 10/x
The mechanic seems balanced, not prone to some big swings based on one roll and very on theme for the set. I hope the support is sufficient to make it draftable, but with a 3/3 Flying Menace Edgewall Innkeeper that seems likely.

Note - in tweet 6 60% should be 55%.

11/11

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Sierkovitz

Sierkovitz Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @Sierkovitz

Jun 14
Early data can be misleading. And in MH3 we have a great case study for that.

Dimir.

On the face of it, it has a middling 54% win rate. In the middle of the pack of 6 lowest win rate archetypes. But scratch the surface and you might have a diamond in there.

1/6 Image
Firstly, despite the decks winning only 54% of the games, individual cards do well. 8 commons have a GiH WR >59%.

Pairs with similar WR don’t reach this level. UG has 5 such commons. BR - 2. UR, BG and WB only 1. That is a significant difference.

2/6 Image
And some of those commons have impressive win rates. Deem Inferior is at 62.5% , Sneaky Snacker, Accursed Marauder and Serum Visionary are over 60%. Those are solid numbers for cards that go late in draft. Kind of numbers that suggest a well drafted UB deck is competitive.

3/6
Read 6 tweets
Oct 16, 2023
WotC announced a new type of product that will combine Set Boosters and Draft Boosters. We don't have 100% info, but there is a significant chunk we do know. How will the new product impact draft? Not by much at first sight. 1/12 Image
Firstly, WotC focused on the fact that you could potentially open up to 4 rares in a pack. Yes, theoretically it is true. But realistically - it probably is a once several boxes experience. To look at it, we need to see what would need to happen. 2/12
One rare/mythic slot is a given. You also have the common/list slot. It is a regular common 87.5% of the time - 7 times per 8 packs. So on average in 3 packs per draft you will open something else. But even in those cases, you will still open mostly commons.

Why?

3/12
Read 12 tweets
Oct 12, 2023
Main complaint about data in Magic are absolute opinions. "This card is busted because it has a high wr". You hear such arguments all the time. Using data as a hammer to quench any discussion annoys me too. This thread aims to look at win rate with a bit more subtlety. 1/19 Image
First - let's rethink what a win rate is. In its simplified view it will frequently look like this: Titanic Growth has a good Game in Hand Win Rate in RG decks. It is the 4th best common in those decks so I guess it is just a good RG card. 2/19 Image
This simplified view will sometimes be true. Some cards are just good and you should always play them. But sometimes it is not. And that is where the problems start arising. In order to avoid falling into this trap, what helps me is to reimagine what win rate is. 3/19
Read 18 tweets
Apr 17, 2023
March of the Machine is arguable a set with the most complex booster pack architecture. No dedicated rare slot, instead a double sided slot, single sided slot, Battle slot, land slot and a multiverse legend. How can this impact draft? 🧵 1/11 Image
Thanks to the infinite kindness of @17Lands team I got some early access data to try and figure out what is the impact of the pack collation on the card frequency. Firstly let's look at how packs look like in a regular set: Simple 1 rare/mythic, 3 uncommons and 10 commons. 2/11
@17Lands But in MOM things get a bit more complicated. There are more than 1 rares/mythic per pack on average, over 4 uncommons and only 8.4 commons. And the basic land/gain land slot. Even on a small dataset I worked on that split was almost a perfect 50:50. 3/11 Image
Read 11 tweets
Mar 22, 2023
Often people claim to have a signature build, something others don't do in a Limited format. And often they are right. But such "special builds", sub-archetypes are notoriously hard to find using data. For many reasons. In Magic Numbers #69 I try to find such builds in ONE 🧵 1/x
First difficulty is to find those builds. But over time I developed a toolbox to do it. And weirdly, I use methods from my day job to do so.

I am a microbial ecologist, studying how microbial communities function and which species make them tick. 2/x
To do so, I need to often compare different ecosystems. And to be able to do that, I convert the list of species and their quantities in my ecosystems into numbers and plot them in 2-dimensional space.

Decks are similar to ecosystems, only instead of microbial, 3/x
Read 11 tweets
Feb 14, 2023
If you wanted a worrying graph about ONE draft - here is one.

Most color pairs don't have commons that perform OK. I usually use a 56% GiH WR cut off to measure OK cards. In ONE 6 color pairs have <10 commons that have that WR. In BRO it was 0, DMU - 1, NEO - 2. 1/x
Yes, part of it is because some archetypes have an appalling win rate. But that is a problem in itself. Bottom 4 color pairs in this dataset are all from ONE. It would be easy to blame it on players who just didn't figure out the right builds, and in part it is probably true. 2/x
In large part imho the fault is on the side of players for getting stuck in drafting poor colors (black) and leaving red mostly uncontested. In fact when you look at top 10 commons in each color and relation of their win rate and ALSA it is a mad house. x/3
Read 8 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(