Amanda Knox Profile picture
Jul 7, 2021 27 tweets 14 min read Read on X
I live in two overlapping worlds. In one, I’m seen as a monster. In the other, people value my work.

/ A thread.
One of these worlds is based in reality. The other is not, and yet that false world often feels stronger, ineradicable.
The day I was acquitted and released from prison, I thought I had escaped the labyrinth.
I thought I would return to the life that had been stolen from me…I quickly realized that life didn’t exist anymore.
I was no longer just me, a language nerd who liked poetry and rock climbing. I was the girl who was accused of murder.
And in millions of minds, I was not just accused, but guilty. I was redefined as a killer. My innocence didn’t change that.
When I was definitively acquitted by Italy’s highest court, I was freed from a physical prison...
...but not from the prison of infamy, not from the false identity as a drug-addled whore and killer.
The accusations and hate didn’t stop.
It’s been 4,993 days since I was first arrested. 4,993 consecutive days of hate.
For a while, I felt so, so lost. Entering freedom, I had landed in an entirely new labyrinth.
And inside, I had to discover who I was.

podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/its…
What I’ve gone through is unique, but also...
...not unique at all. Plenty of people have been wrongfully convicted - mostly poor, disenfranchised men.

podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/exo…
And I’m not the first to be globally slut-shamed (shout out to @monicalewinsky)
I never asked for attention, for scrutiny, to be cast as a cardboard character in a morality play for tabloid readers and true crime junkies.
But here I am. Trying to figure out how to play the strange hand I’ve been dealt...

podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the…
...to make the best of a bad situation, and put to work everything I’ve learned along the way...
...to practice the nuance and compassion and empathy that was denied me by those eager to vilify and punish.
So I’ve been building bridges, talking to victims and vilified men and women, advocating for criminal justice reform.
But the thing I’m most proud of is Labyrinths, the podcast I created with my novelist husband @manunderbridge. I’m grateful for the opportunity to do this work and meet other survivors along the way.
And nothing gives me greater satisfaction than to know that I’ve reached someone.

podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/its…
That someone else feels less alone in their own labyrinth.

podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/mon…
It helps me shrug the hate off. To remember that it doesn’t define me.
I define me.
Season 2 of Labyrinths premieres today with episode 1 of a 5-part miniseries on infertility. In today’s episode, I bare my soul about my recent miscarriage.

podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/inf…
I hope you’ll listen. And if you like the podcast, please consider supporting us! We’re independent and ad-free. If we had one supporter for every hundred cruel messages that come in, that would more than balance out the hate.

patreon.com/knoxrobinson

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Amanda Knox

Amanda Knox Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @amandaknox

May 2
I'd been avoiding my friend Jens Söring for months. Whenever his emails arrived, I’d open a reply window and stare with dread at the blinking cursor. I no longer knew what to say to him, this man who'd spent 33 years in prison for a double homicide he swore he didn’t commit. /🧵
Jens had been convicted of murder in 1990. I had been convicted of murder nearly 20 years later. But the parallels between our cases were striking.
While studying abroad in Italy in 2007, I had been accused of killing my roommate Meredith Kercher with the help of a man I’d been dating for just a week.
Read 10 tweets
Jan 13
One of the most unexpected blessings of having spent time in prison, and being at the center of a such a public scandal, is that so many people have reached out to me to share their own stories. And I've learned there are so many ways to feel trapped in your own life...
/thread
Some people are trapped by poverty, some by chronic illness, some by abusive family or romantic partners, some by the expectations of their community, some by their very own vision of who they are supposed to be, a vision handed down from their parents, or of their own making.
And of course, there are so many ways to be falsely accused or perceived, and a lot of people reach out to me to share stories about that. Being falsely perceived is so destabilizing because it disrupts our narrative sense of self.
Read 10 tweets
Dec 28, 2023
What's your favorite episode of Star Trek?

Here's mine:

TNG Season 5, Episode 24, "The Next Phase." It has everything: mindbending sci-fi plot, political intrigue, character growth, and an unmatched bromance between @levarburton and @BrentSpiner. Allow me to explain... Image
A mishap from a Romulan science vessel causes Ensign Ro and Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge to become out of phase with the Enterprise. (Don't ask me how that works.) They become essentially like ghosts. No one can see or hear them. They think they might be dead.
They can walk through walls and solid objects (but not the floor...ehhh, don't worry about that!)
Read 14 tweets
Dec 27, 2023
Remeber this poster? It hangs in Fox Mulder's office. Now I love Fox Mulder, and the X-Files, but this is a problem. Our beliefs should be divorced from our desires. Otherwise, we end up burning witches. And yet, I find myself wanting to believe in aliens... Image
The universe is so large that statistically, intelligent life is very likely out there somewhere. Perhaps a lot of it! But if so, where is everybody? This is, of course, the Fermi Paradox.
waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-…
There are many proposed solutions, but the one proffered by the X-Files is that they're already here, they've been here, and the evidence has just been covered up (Damn Smoking Man!) Recent Navy videos and goverment statements have reignited the "UFOs are Here!" belief.
Read 12 tweets
Dec 19, 2023
16 years after my arrest, I'm still on trial in Italy, still fighting to clear my name. Meanwhile, the man who murdered my roommate is free from prison, still accusing me, and still, it seems, harming young women. Are we living in a simulation?
As you might imagine, I've received a lot of interview requests to talk about these recent developments. What will my new trial focus on? Will I have to testify in Italy? (hint: yes). What do I think about Rudy Guede facing new charges of sexual assualt?
I decided to unpack all this in a long-form, intimate conversation with @manunderbridge on our podcast Labyrinths.
podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/79-…
Read 9 tweets
Dec 13, 2023
If you were to ask my family to describe me, they’d likely say that I’m a nerd, that I like to dance and sing. They’d say that I'm kind, sometimes naive, and that I go dead possum when I’m scared. What they wouldn't say is: girl gone wild, drug addled femme fatale. And yet...
/🧵
that was the image of me painted by the prosecution and the tabloid media: Foxy Knoxy, the cunning seductress. And while I saw myself so grossly misrepresented, I also got to know the other women I shared cells with in Capanne prison.
Before prison, I’d naively assumed that crimes were committed by bad people. I hadn’t questioned that received narrative. But living alongside these women, who’d committed crimes ranging from theft to filicide, I saw their more complicated context and humanity.
Read 14 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(