Jim Zub 🎲 Profile picture
Jul 10, 2021 5 tweets 3 min read Read on X
Going to BBQ this afternoon, so I'm pulling together fresh potato salad this morning. So much better than pre-made and really easy.

- Boil a batch of potatoes for 20 min.

Waxy/harder potatoes like red ones work better than russets or others you'd use for baked/mashed potatoes. Image
- Include an egg or two with the potatoes and boil them at the same time, but take the eggs out after the first 10 min.

- Cut the potatoes into chunks to cool, adding a bit of salt, pepper and other spices to season them. If you have malt vinegar, a dash or three here is great. Image
This is where you can customise the heck out of it to your taste-

How big the chunks are.
Whether you include the potato skins or not.
How much mayo you use.
All variable.

For me egg, cucumber, and dill is a must. You can add red onion, pickles, even cubed up cheddar cheese. ImageImageImage
Salt, pepper, mustard with peppercorns, garlic powder, relish, sometimes a touch of cayenne. Again, all of it will vary with your taste.

Mix with mayonnaise, shape to fit your container and top with a light sprinkling of paprika (using a fine strainer to spread it out evenly). ImageImage
Give the potato salad at least 3-4 hours in the fridge for the taste to really come together. Making it the day before works great.

It's so easy, super customizable and tastes great. No more watery/bland stuff from the grocery store. ImageImage

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Jim Zub 🎲

Jim Zub 🎲 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @JimZub

Apr 23
Short version: Submitted my grades. My teaching sabbatical starts TODAY.

Long version: In 2018, I was co-writing Avengers, writing Champions and Dungeons & Dragons, and wrapping up Wayward.

Quite a few industry friends told me I should quit my full-time gig at the college...
I was writing Avengers as the Infinity War movie hit theaters. There were project opportunities and conventions aplenty.

And yet, I couldn't help but keep going with the pragmatic approach that got me to that point.
Juggling full-time teaching with a full-time writing slate has been stressful.

Most evenings after school I have dinner with Stacy and then write until late at night. Most weekends are writing days instead of social time.
Read 14 tweets
Dec 9, 2022
Another perspective drawing lesson:
How to quickly check scale and proportion without a grid!

After critiquing a student's rough room construction I asked if they were okay with me using it as a demonstration since the error they made is a common one. ImageImageImage
Once you establish scale with a standing figure, you can quickly compare relative size to everything nearby.

How tall should the object/feature be compared to the height of the figure's ankles, knees, waist, torso, shoulders, chin, or top of the head?

Quick to build and check. ImageImage
I go through this perspective drawing technique in more detail with more extensive examples here:
Read 4 tweets
Dec 3, 2022
There's a tendency for students using perspective to start a drawing with vanishing points, randomly putting things in and hoping it works.

In my latest lecture, I stressed the importance of starting with a well-staged focal point first, then finding the perspective to match it. ImageImageImageImage
Once you understand how to draw things that look solid and consistent you need to learn where to put those things in your scene to organize visual information for the viewer. ImageImageImageImage
The initial thumbnail sketch took between 5-10 minutes.
The tighter build up another 20-25 minutes.
The detailed ready for clean up version probably another 30 minutes.
Read 7 tweets
Oct 13, 2022
*Guy on the subway sees my Dungeons & Dragons jacket*

G: Heeeey~! D&D!
D&D is the best!

Me: Yeah!

G: I had the craziest D&D thing happen to me...

(I assume we're going to talk about hus current campaign or playing when he was younger.)
G: I got in a bar brawl for real.

Me: Like, in real life?

G: Yeah, yeah, YEAH! A for real bar fight and, as it was happening, all I could think was "Aw shit, this is just like D&D!!"
Me: Okaay~

G: So I've got two dudes ready to kick my ass and I'm strategizing like it's all a game. Y'know, improve my armor class or disarm 'em or just anything!

Me: How'd that go?

G: HAHAHA, that's the craziest part!
Read 12 tweets
Jun 21, 2022
I spoke to Adam Chapman at Comic Shenanigans all about Thunderbolts, Life of Wolverine, and Conan the Barbarian.

We cover a lot of great ground on these projects, talking about development, drama, continuity and more.

Give it a listen!
Oh yeah, and Avengers Tech-On too!
We cover the influences and fun that @theCHAMBA and I had on that mini-series as well.
At the 1 hr 8 min part of the podcast I talk about Marvel continuity and why it's important for writers to play well in the shared sandbox:

"I don't think it's selfish to say I want others to acknowledge that brick in the wall of the House of Ideas."
jimzub.com/comic-shenanig…
Read 5 tweets
Jun 20, 2022
I've been teaching Layout + Design and Animation History at Seneca College since 2004. I've taught a bunch of other courses, but those two have been constant.

Today is my last Animation History lecture and that feels so strange.
Seneca's Animation program is undergoing a major curriculum overhaul in September.

The new streams look amazing and will keep our grads on top of the changing industry but within that new structure Animation History as its own course is being phased out.

senecacollege.ca/programs/fullt…
Concepts and examples from Animation History will be incorporated into drawing and design courses where relevant, but it'll be different from filling a lecture hall, watching each era of film and analyzing them.
Read 10 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(