Rich Villodas Profile picture
Jul 16, 2021 6 tweets 2 min read Read on X
Here a thread of my #Loki preaching points over the course of this first season.

Absolutely loved it.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Rich Villodas

Rich Villodas Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @richvillodas

Sep 4, 2023
Like many others, I’ve read this article about a pastor stepping away from vocational pastoral ministry due to a number of reasons.

I certainly feel many of the pressures he outlines, yet, there seems to be a question that has not been explored.

restorativefaith.org/post/departure…
To what degree is the crisis he experienced due to internalized expectations and assumptions about what pastoral ministry entails, versus the larger institutional expectations and assumptions from his congregation and the larger culture of pastoring in this day and age?
This is important for me to ask because some of the reasons for the problems we carry require a new way of being.

There is certainly a massive cultural and systemic crisis as it relates to pastoral ministry, but I hope it can be addressed, individually and institutionally.
Read 4 tweets
Dec 5, 2022
I regularly get asked how to structure a 10-15 minute time of prayer.

For those trying to establish a life of prayer, here’s 3 elements to consider (each time of prayer may or may not include all 3 elements).
1) Enjoy the simple presence of God in silence, without the need to offer words.

2) Listen for God’s word to me in scripture for this particular moment.

3) Thoughtfully express to God the thoughts & feelings of my mind and heart.
For me:

• I begin with 2 minutes of silence.

• I then read 1-3 psalms, followed by a Gospel reading or a few verses in an Epistle.

• I often write a prayer (or simply offer what’s in my heart) in my journal.

• I close by slowly praying the Our Father.
Read 5 tweets
Nov 22, 2022
Thinking about my journey of preaching over 23 years. My early formative preaching years were in Black churches in Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx.

Preaching in these communities was a gift because the preaching moment was communal—in at least 4 ways:
Black preaching flourishes inside of a culture of:

affirmation
anticipation
participation
celebration

The Black Church has much to teach regarding the collaborative nature of preaching.
Anticipation: the congregation patiently anticipates the unfolding of thought and proclamation. There is trust in the Word of God, that it will do what it’s meant to.
Read 8 tweets
Nov 8, 2022
May the Church see politics through the lens of Jesus and not Jesus through the lens of politics.
What does this *not* mean?

1. Political indifference.
2. Social callousness.
3. Heaven-centric discipleship.
4. Refusal to listen to my conscience, values, and convictions.
What does this mean? Minimally that:

1. Our social imagination finds its starting point in Jesus’s teachings, and in the prophetic teachings in the Hebrew Scriptures that he’s in the tradition of.
Read 7 tweets
Sep 5, 2022
Labor Day is a good time to sharpen our theology of work. Some introductory reflections:

• Scripture reveals God “at work.”

• Work is introduced prior to Sin, not after.

• We are called by God to labor, not just for a paycheck, but to make something beautiful of the world.
• The call to labor is not to be demonized. Neither is it to be divinized. It’s not to be a necessary evil, or an idol.

• Our labor is one of the ways we image God. We are called to create, not be reduced to consuming.
• The best work we do is fueled by patient nurture, not quick efficiency.

• We put a boundary on work by keeping Sabbath. We rest from our work, in order to work from a place of rest.
Read 6 tweets
Jul 9, 2022
8 reasons why our lead pastor transition went well:

1) It was a slow, 4-year thoughtful process. We brought in outside help to help us get clear about lines of authority as @petescazzero’s role shifted.
2) Pete modeled a healthy “letting go,” going to therapy, seeing a spiritual director, & talking to others who have done succession.

3) The elders had me lead the church (behind the scenes) for a year of "testing.”
4) During the 4-year process, Pete went on sabbatical for 4 months, giving me space to lead w/out him in the room.

5) We met every week to talk about the process and how we were feeling.

6) We had clear measurable goals for transition for each of the 4 years.
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(