Nicole Perlroth Profile picture
Jul 19, 2021 5 tweets 3 min read Read on X
A few call outs from this morning’s blitz on Chinese cyber espionage. 1.We’ve known China’s Ministry of State Security contracts out some of its sensitive operations to a satellite network of hackers, now USG is calling them out by name (Yes!) and detailing the connections.
2. It’s not just front companies, USG is accusing Chinese universities of playing a critical role in MSS’ recruitment. We’ve reported on these connections before, but China is particularly sensitive about coverage that outs its universities.
3. My personal favorite! USG addresses zero day hoarding in its comments, noting that in this case, the NSA turned over additional Exchange zero days to Microsoft. I would like to buy the bureaucrat who inserted this phrase a beer: “Rather than withholding them...”
4. Expect more of this: MSS has been leading PRC’s most sensitive cyber espionage ops since 2009, but the exact connections between the agency and its contractors were not always clear. Now USG (and allies) are spelling them out in detail and calling out their extracurriculars.
5. Here’s the context on USG’s difficulty attributing MSS directed hacking from my book thisishowtheytellmetheworldends.com

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Nicole Perlroth

Nicole Perlroth Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @nicoleperlroth

Mar 17, 2023
SVB’s crisis was precipitated by poor investment decisions, but the postmortems of the run itself show the very prominent role played by social media, a few VCs and amplification from suspicious accounts.
Alethea Group: Associates of Peter Thiel [including David Sacks] were at least partially responsible for the initial online panic related to SVB: Image
Following that initial panic wave, Chinese and Russian state media, as well as @zerohedge played a major amplification role: Image
Read 10 tweets
Dec 16, 2022
Once again, Elon’s scribes are connecting dots to sell you a salacious tale with zero context.

The FBI and DHS role in flagging social media content and accounts has been well documented. Here are examples of the kinds of content they were flagging for companies like Twitter…
Here’s another that entailed a takedown of CCP controlled fake accounts that were amplifying anti-Uighur narratives. blog.twitter.com/en_us/topics/c…
Read 9 tweets
Nov 6, 2022
Twitter does not even enforce MFA. Last stats were that >3% of verified accounts have MFA switched on (@sriramk please correct me with updated stats). As long as this is the case, everything in this thread falls apart.
Now, if Twitter’s new verification system forces verified users into MFA by default, it will be a welcome improvement.
*<3%
Read 4 tweets
Nov 6, 2022
Agree. Would add: Putin’s strategy has always been to tie the US up in our own culture wars and drag out US wars in the Middle East. So long as US was distracted, he could maneuver as he wished.

By supporting Ukraine, we are sucking up Putin’s bandwidth to maneuver elsewhere.
See:
1. Moscow pulling its air defense system out of Syria. nytimes.com/2022/10/19/wor…

2. Russia’s unraveling in Central Asia + Caucasus. nytimes.com/2022/10/08/wor…

3. The jury is still out, but anecdotally @RGB_Lights and others have noted sanctions have made it difficult for Russian ransomware groups to collect ransom payments here. zdnet.com/article/ransom…
Read 5 tweets
Oct 26, 2022
If you saw a blondish woman in a dark suit violently ill on 280 near the El Monte exit the other day, that was me.

Consider this my pregnancy announcement. If you’ve noticed I’ve been more outspoken here, it’s because I’ve never been so angry at the hypocrisy of “pro-lifers.”
1. ICYMI: Covid, even mild cases, is causing stillborns for unvaccinated mothers. propublica.org/article/covid-… And yet, see @Jim_Jordan today blasting the “government mandated vaccine.” He isn’t for the “unborn.” He is for the “stillborn” and it’s sickening.
2. Imminent Covid strains share little genetic overlap with any of the Covid strains we’ve seen since 2020. My cardiologist told me yesterday that the delta between the coming strains is as high as the 2020 Covid virus delta was to the SARS virus 20 years ago…
Read 8 tweets
Oct 23, 2022
I have not, and will not, download TikTok. Why? Because the Snowden leaks made crystal clear that the CCP has (in many cases without the company’s direct knowledge) used Chinese tech platforms as staging grounds for espionage/surveillance. (1/6)
This story I did ages ago detailed how China, disliking content on GitHub, took incoming traffic to Baidu, turned it into a “Great Cannon” and fired it at internet content the CCP did not approve of, essentially the largest DDOS attack of its kind. nytimes.com/2015/04/11/tec…
At the time, Baidu said they had no knowledge of the effort. In the background, executives admitted they were essentially powerless to stop the state from doing whatever it wanted with their traffic. You think TikTok is different?
Read 6 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(