Addison Del Mastro Profile picture
Jul 19, 2021 7 tweets 5 min read Read on X
My parking garage in Ballston is the "warehouse" level in a video game
But for something that sprang up out of nondescript sprawl in the 1980s (and much of it more recent) this is pretty convincing quickly built urban environment
However, because of its origin as a modern density corridor and not an actual urban neighborhood, the old highway through here is pretty much fully intact. Wide, fast, loud. Trucks. Heavily pedestrianized but still intimidating in many spots.
Driving home (mostly west on U.S. 29) is interesting. Here's Wilson Boulevard, on the way out of Arlington's dense area. Lot by lot, the area is changing. This immediate area isn't quite there yet.
A kind-of street area along 29. Interesting how the new developments have a more urbanist design, but are still just little pieces along a highway landscape.
And here is the Garden City Shopping Center, an early (50s) strip mall along U.S. 29. Very interesting building. Looks like an urban block. Packed parking lot and full of mostly immigrant-owned businesses.
The first "Marina" Safeway I've seen that's still a Safeway! Beautiful, well preserved piece of 1960s commercial architecture. A little off 29 in McLean

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Addison Del Mastro

Addison Del Mastro Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @ad_mastro

Jan 22, 2023
Sink in a $2 million dollar new-construction house in Fairfax County, VA
Oh, and Home Depot store brand finest for the toilets!
The kitchen has incredible commercial-grade stainless appliances. But the deck railing is cheap hollow plastic!
Read 7 tweets
Jan 21, 2023
Chives minced for dumplings tonight!
(My wife actually made them)
Ready for the steamer
Read 4 tweets
Jan 20, 2023
I was just writing about how some people appeal to the magic of the dancing flame to defend gas stoves, or to high-minded ideals about risk and human flourishing to defend doing nothing about COVID. This is a great entry in that genre.
There must be a name for this type of argument - appealing to something very abstract and seemingly unobjectionable to make a very specific and often self-interested point.
It reminds me of a quote by the late Justice Anthony Kennedy: “At the heart of liberty is the right to define one’s own concept of existence, of meaning, of the universe, and of the mystery of human life.”

Very interesting way to refer to abortion!
Read 8 tweets
Sep 28, 2022
"I suspect that some older homeowners and long commuters don’t quite relish being reminded that a good deal of the trouble and hardship they put up with for most of their lives was actually optional." thedeletedscenes.substack.com/p/apartments-o…
"To say renters or apartment dwellers lack virtues or values is like saying hotdogs are more virtuous than hamburgers. It just isn’t in the moral sphere."
Long thoughts on the errors of turning housing preferences into culture war. One of the first deep, long pieces I wrote at my newsletter. thedeletedscenes.substack.com/p/apartments-o…
Read 4 tweets
Sep 28, 2022
I tracked down the exact supermarket that Queen Elizabeth II visited in 1957, in Prince George's County, Maryland. I used it to tell a history of supermarket evolution over at @ggwash. Here, I wrote about how I track down things like this thedeletedscenes.substack.com/p/the-queens-g…
This one wasn't hard, but it did take a bit of research. You really have to *do history* to figure out stories even about things that happened fairly recently. I think, based on my research, that this is the only piece on the internet that assembles all of this in one place.
This was a similar, though much simpler, process to what I did for this article about a non-standard Pizza Hut, which ended up being one of my most-read pieces! It was a lot of fun, and it was a story that had simply never been told in one place. thedeletedscenes.substack.com/p/didnt-used-t…
Read 14 tweets
Sep 27, 2022
As a driver, I like right on red. But I also don't. Once you make an exception to "red means stop and wait," every time you actually do have to stop and wait feels like an unbearable imposition. Stable, simple rules are good. thedeletedscenes.substack.com/p/wrong-on-red
A few things inspired this piece. One, Washington, D.C. just banned right on red at most intersections, so it's been in the news. Two, a discussion I recently had. And three, a memory of a driving mistake I made a few years ago (and have made more than once.)
That mistake was turning *left* at a red light, after coming to a full stop. The road was empty, it was at night, it was safe. But after I did it, I realized what happened: My brain wanted to interpret “right on red” as “you can turn at a red light when it’s clear.”
Read 15 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(