Andrew Levi Profile picture
Jul 19, 2021 10 tweets 2 min read Read on X
You really don’t need a body language expert to understand this.
The sequence …
The govt’s Director General for Europe reacting to Lord Frost complaining the EU is inflexible & purist in its requirement that agreements entered into are respected.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Andrew Levi

Andrew Levi Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @AndrewPRLevi

Sep 26
Donald Trump saying “Ukraine is finished” once again, starkly, highlights the question of what the world’s first & only (with the possible exception of Britain), & still remaining, hyper power would do geopolitically under his leadership.

But it isn’t just about Trump.

A 🧵/1.
I’ll be unashamedly Eurocentric.

There’s a broader & deeper story, of course. But Europe is a vital part of it.

The decision the USA has to make, as it did in the 1940s, & repeatedly at intervals after that, is whether it cares about Europe, & if so how much of it, & why. /2.
Does that include all of western Europe? Does it extend to central Europe? And eastern Europe? If so, should Ukraine be part of what the USA cares about (in the 40s that didn’t really play a role, given Ukraine’s status within the USSR)? And if so, how much of Ukraine? /3.
Read 17 tweets
Aug 23
.@timleunig in @FT is right about Brexit.

But it’s far worse.

Brexit ripped us out of our $19 trillion GDP domestic market & reduced us to one a 6th of it, thumped our economy, fractured the UK, threw our governance into chaos, & generated perilous geopolitical effects.

A🧵/1.
The EU (& the EEC/EC before it) has never been, was never intended to be, & was never claimed to be just another “trading partner”, however large.

Suggestions it was, or was claimed to be, are Brexiter mythology - sometimes cynically deliberate, sometimes plain ignorant. /2.
The EU is a common regulatory zone (the EU Single Market) & a common customs zone (the EU Customs Union).

It’s a continental scale domestic market - a massive economy similar in size to the USA - for everyone in it. /3.
Read 18 tweets
Aug 21
UK Government Debt - Wealth Beyond Imagination

Today’s headlines are again stoking debt panic.

We need to get a grip.

Strangling the economy to “balance the books” is as economically literate as burning down a factory to save on heating bills.

We need government debt.

A🧵/1. Image
💰in the 150 years to 1880 UK government debt rose over 10x, beyond $120B (it peaked around $150B c.1830 to 1850) [constant 2011 $)]

💰in the next 50-ish years, to the 1930s, it multiplied a further 5x to around $600B, (it was around $100B in the early 20th century) /2. Image
💰it was at a similar, $500B plus, level in the late 1960s, but with a peak of over $1,300B in 1947

💰in the 1970s, 80s & 90s it was around the $500B to $400B mark

💰by 2000 it was approaching $750B, by 2010 over double that, & in 2020 $2,800B

[Reminder: constant 2011 $] /3. Image
Read 20 tweets
Aug 11
Nice @prestonjbyrne.

Tendentious.

And (if you mean it seriously) wildly naive about what actually takes place, legally (although you’d say “in my opinion this is unconstitutional”: good luck!) in the USA.

Still, if we just look at England/UK: yes, there are many concerns. /1.
I never said or, I hope, implied (to a fair, reasonable reader) that there weren’t.

For example (not the subject of my already long 🧵which focused on the way criminal incitement & freedom of expression relate) I personally deeply dislike revocation of citizenship. /2.
But you know that’s a thing in the USA as well, including for natural born citizens.

Involuntary self-revocation (in the guise of “voluntary relinquishment”) of citizenship sounds about as Kafkaesque as it gets.

But there it is, lurking malignantly in the Land of the Free. /3.
Read 14 tweets
Aug 10
Twitter’s full of people trumpeting near zero understanding of English law or of the convictions in respect of the violence of the last 10 days or so.

Nor does the US 1st Amendment mean what many (often Americans) seem to think.

Frustrated? Maybe this will be some use.

A🧵/1.
“Incitement” was an offence under English common law pretty much forever.

In 2008 the Serious Crime Act 2007 replaced common law “incitement” with statutory offences of encouraging or assisting crime.

Incitement in respect of specific statutory offences remains. /2.
“Assisting” means roughly what you probably think it does. But, for clarity, it doesn’t require direct presence at the scene of the crime being “assisted”, or actions which are themselves part of that crime: if they assist the commission of it, that’s a criminal act itself. /3.
Read 44 tweets
Aug 7
Some say they’re the #FarageRiots.

Others say the #MuskRiots.

Some say neither.

I’m not sure we yet know the whole truth about these men’s possible involvement, potentially as inciters to or participants in violence or even terrorism.

There are legitimate questions.

A 🧵/1.
To be guilty of terrorism in England, you don’t have to be physically present (see CPS guidance ⬇️). Similar considerations apply to some other crimes relevant to the current violent disorder.

“I was only tweeting” or “I was just asking questions” are far from safe defences. /2. Image
For the likes of Mr Musk or Mr Farage one might think their respective, prominent positions could protect them from criminal charges and severe consequences.

One might.

If one thought the AG, DPP, courts, police etc in England to be corrupt, weak or both.

If not, not. /3.
Read 17 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(