Keith Hornberger Profile picture
Jul 20, 2021 9 tweets 3 min read Read on X
I support our group with early human dose prediction. Not the fancy, need-tons-of-software and a DMPK pro kind. Just the kind that uses some basic algebra. HDP is a unifying concept for med chemists. It’s the master optimization parameter, and it can’t be easily cheated. 1/
Here’s a wonderful paper from AstraZeneca that speaks to this conceptual framework - this isn’t something I invented. The concept has been around for years. Required reading! 2/
pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/mp…
At my own shop, I’ve built a suite of tools 🛠 in Excel to assist with allometric scaling of Cl/Vss and modeling common HDP scenarios. Playing with input parameters in real time in these sheets is a great way to grasp how they impact dose. 4/
Beyond the beginnings you can get from Excel, for projects that are in full-on lead optimization, I’ve also built workflows in @knime that can automate this process for many compounds at once. 5/
None of this replaces expert input from your friendly neighborhood DMPK person. But I’m repeatedly astonished how close to the final mark you can get with basic modeling. Medicinal chemists need to claim and own and normalize routine basic HDP. 6/
The biggest barrier is, I think, fear of the math. But you only need some basic algebra to manipulate the equations (and a smidge of calculus if you want to do the derivations). Plus some time invested by one person in a group in learning Excel functions and KNIME pipelining. 7/
Big shoutout to my ex-BI colleague Rob Hughes (also ex-Pfizer) who was WAY ahead of most of us on this stuff. He more than anyone showed me the way and had a huge impact on my own thinking. 8/
Lastly, yes, this is me reclaiming some math after yesterday’s depressing realization that I no longer know quantum chemistry. I make no apologies for boosting my own confidence. 😂 /end

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Keith Hornberger

Keith Hornberger Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @KRHornberger

Jan 18
Jensen Huang’s comments from JPM24 are now summarized in a Nvidia blog post. He doubles down on exactly the kinds of things that I’ve been cautioning are wildly optimistic. More below. 👇🏽 1/ Image
Usual disclaimer: it’s op-ed time again. My opinions alone, not my employer’s or anyone else’s. 1.5/
For reference, here’s the summary. 2/
blogs.nvidia.com/blog/nvidia-ce…
Read 16 tweets
Sep 10, 2023
Time for another pharmacology tweetorial (X-torial?), this time on the subject of receptor occupancy and how it relates to selectivity. 1/ Brain awake meme: Remember that selectivity data you got on your compound? Yep all good It’s not telling you what you think it is *eyes open*
Usual disclaimer: all of this thread is my own thoughts and opinions on the subject, and does not necessarily reflect the views of my employer. Your mileage may vary. Some restrictions may apply. 2/
References first. For an excellent primer on pharmacology in general, which also covers the concept of occupancy extensively, you’ll want to check out this book by my old GSK colleague Terry Kenakin. Chapter X is especially relevant. 3/
sciencedirect.com/book/978032399…
Read 41 tweets
Mar 17, 2023
Continuing the occasional Friday pharma #EarlyCareer series. Last time we talked about site interviews. This time let’s talk about negotiating job offers. (Next time we’ll deal with the inevitable rejections.) 🧵 1/
Usual disclaimer: everything in this thread is my observations based on 20+ years of personal experience at pharmas big and small, and should not be construed as reflecting the opinions and practices of, nor an endorsement by, my employer. 1.5/
After a site interview, it’s typical for a job offer or “no thanks” to follow within a few weeks. Allow some time here as more than one person is often being interviewed for a position. If you have time pressure (competing offers), the sooner you tell the company, the better. 2/
Read 26 tweets
Feb 24, 2023
Continuing the Friday pharma industry #EarlyCareer tip series. Last time we talked about phone interviews. This time let’s talk about the next step, a really big one: on-site interviews. 🧵 1/ The Most Interesting Man in the World: I don’t always go o
If your phone interview goes well, the hiring manager will usually invite you for a site interview. Pre-pandemic, that almost always meant traveling to the pharma R&D site for the interview. These days, it may also be done virtually on Zoom or Teams instead. 2/
If you require accommodations for any reason, give the hiring manager or HR person a heads-up before the interview. Most companies are happy to work with you on this if they know. If they won’t, that’s a red flag. Consider then whether or not it’s worth going forward. 3/
Read 30 tweets
Feb 10, 2023
Since we’re all watching The Last of Us, is it really true that we have nothing (other than bombs) for the coming fungal pandemic? Time to review what we’ve got in the pharmacopeia for fungal infections. Lest we all turn into zombies. 🧵 1/
Broadly, antifungals are woefully under-researched, even among anti-infectives. Fungi are more similar to animals than plants or bacteria. That relative same-ness means finding drugs that target fungi without targeting ourselves is tough. And resistance is ever on the rise. 2/
There are three big main classes of antifungal (or anti-mycotic) agents. Two of those three lean on the fact that fungi make use of ergosterol as the main sterol in their cell membranes rather than the cholesterol typically found in animals. 3/ Chemical structure of ergosterol, (1R,3aR,7S,9aR,9bS,11aR)-1
Read 20 tweets
Jan 20, 2023
I’m going to offer some more regular industry #EarlyCareer tips on Fridays. Keeping this focused on chemistry in pharma since that’s what I know about.

Let’s start with applying for the job! 🧵 👇 1/
First off, unlike many other lines of industry work, in pharma chemistry we usually ask for a comprehensive academic-style curriculum vitae (CV) rather than a shorter résumé. Sometimes these terms get used interchangeably in the US, but they’re not the same. 2/
This removes some pressure to compress your professional life into a page or two. A CV typically includes: contact info, work history (most recent first), educational history (most recent first), complete publications & presentations, and possibly other optional sections. 3/
Read 11 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(