Alexandros Marinos 🏴‍☠️ Profile picture
Jul 21, 2021 14 tweets 7 min read Read on X
Is Elon Musk founder of Tesla? Let's answer this question together. But before we answer this one, we must answer whether @elonmusk is the founder of PayPal, for reasons that will soon become apparent. Two contentious topics, probably enough for a...🧵!
In '99, Paypal launched as a digital wallet by a company named Confinity, founded by Peter Thiel, Max Levchin, and Luke Nosek. Their main competitor was x.com, founded by one Elon Musk. They both soon realized that they could bleed to death or join forces.
In an acquisition in which x.com technically acquired confinity, but was more a merger of equals, x.com took ownership of PayPal, with Musk as CEO and largest single shareholder. 6 months later, in a board coup, Thiel took over as CEO.
Thiel renamed the combined company PayPal in 2001, took it public in 2002. Shortly after, PayPal was acquired by Ebay for $1.5b. Is Elon a founder of PayPal? Well, the legal vehicle that IPOed was literally the same company as x.com which Elon founded solo.
At the same time, Elon was not the originator of the PayPal product, and he only led the combined company for about 20% of its existence. Most people call Elon a founder of PayPal. Is Peter Thiel a founder of PayPal? Not the legal entity, but Confinity started the PayPal product.
Most people also call Thiel, Levchin and Nosek founders of PayPal. In my mind, all four had founder DNA in the end result and including the one team but not the other doesn't make much sense. They all seeded a culture that created the PayPal mafia.
After PayPal sold, Elon started SpaceX, but he was also talking to JB Straubel about turning the TZero prototype by AC Propulsion into a product. When he approached AC, they got introduced to another team that wanted to do the same.
That team, named Tesla, was comprised of Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpening, two entrepreneurs who had just sold an e-reader startup, and were looking to get into cars. Tesla didn't have so much as a logo at the time. Elon and JB agreed to join forces with Tarpening and Eberhard.
Musk funded Tesla and became Chairman, JB joined as CTO, Eberhard stayed on as CEO. After years of struggling to produce their Roadster, Elon booted Eberhard and eventually took over as CEO. The rest, as they say, is history. In this case the shoe is on the other foot.
Elon did not create the original legal entity. At the same time, had he demanded it, Eberhard and Tarpenning would have changed the company's name/entity. Is the name the reason he isn't a founder? It doesn't make much sense.
Courts also decided that Eberhard and Tarpening can't stop Musk and Straubel from being recognized as founders. tesla.com/blog/judge-str…
Essentially in this case Elon Musk and JB Straubel were responsible for the product that made Tesla a serious competitor and brought it all the way to today. JB's battery pack approach connecting many laptop cells is standard in any serious EV even today.
If JB is a founder, then so is Elon. And Eberhard and Tarpening also have their claim unchallenged. The only reasonable answer, however little some people are able to handle it, is that Tesla, like PayPal has four founders. And in each case one of them is @elonmusk.
If you liked this, you may like some of my other Tesla & Elon threads -

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Alexandros Marinos 🏴‍☠️

Alexandros Marinos 🏴‍☠️ Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @alexandrosM

May 1
In trying to keep up with the vast pace of developments across many fronts, I have started to hypothesize something. Perhaps it is oversimplified. Perhaps it is just wrong. I am open to all eventualities, I'm sharing this to get feedback.

When Mike Johnson did his complete turnaround, I started to wonder what he could possibly have been told that changed his view so drastically. It is tempting to think it was some personal threat to his reputation or family. But that is a low-context explanation that could apply to anything, and as such is not very informative, imo.

What if, what he was told, is that what is going on is pretty much the opening moves for WW3? See the map below and think about what was recently approved with the help of Mike Johnson:

- Warrantless wiretapping
- TikTok forced sale or banning
- Funding for Ukraine
- Funding for Israel
- Funding for Taiwan
- No funding for strenghtening the border (and actually perhaps some funding to get *more* people into the US)

Basically, infowar funding for the internals of the empire, and actual war funding to support the borderlands (Taiwan, Israel, Ukraine) against the rising BRICS powers. And an entry to the US of cheap workforce that will be needed to set up a new industrial base. At best we end up with a new Cold War. If we're lucky.

Maybe I'm giving people in power more credit than they're worth. Perhaps I refuse to believe they're simply arrogant and incompetent. But for better or worse, I can't stop thinking about this map, and what it means for the world.

I may have classified some countries wrong, by the way, I'm open to suggestions on specifics. In particular, It's likely that Hungary and Serbia should be at the very least a kind of greyzone. Also, US influence in south Asia probably goes further than I marked. And of course Africa is a competition zone, with Russia and China making inroads and France/EU losing ground, but nothing yet completely settled.

Anyway, hopefully this is interesting to others as it was to me. (runs away and hides in bunker)Image
Was about to mention that the poles are about to become a zone of intense competition between the blocks.
Remember everyone, I'm a rando who has been watching way too many geopolitics podcasts recently. I could totally be hallucinating this.

THIS IS NOT INVESTMENT ADVICE BUT IF IT WORKS OUT I EXPECT YOU SCOUNDRELS TO SEND ME AT LEAST A THANK YOU NOTE
Read 4 tweets
Mar 30
A beautiful teaching moment here.

This Ben Shapiro/Dave Rubin clip is one of the most important recorded interactions for people who care about hypocrisy in the public sphere.

Thread 🧵 with some thoughts below.
First, Shapiro makes the argument that Daily Wire is a publisher (like a magazine or a newspaper) not a platform (like locals).

Interestingly, he implies that the Daily Wire was *subsidizing* Candace Owens. This would imply they were taking a financial loss to have her there.
Shapiro and Rubin, however, have also been massive critics of cancel culture. How did cancel culture get its name? From a campaign to cancel The Colbert Report over a tweet. Much of cancel culture is about inflicting professional harm for bad opinions.
newyorker.com/news/news-desk…
Read 16 tweets
Mar 28
At this point I treat Scott Alexander's writing as an infohazzard. Unless you are willing to check his facts and citations, it is probably inadvisable to read his material, as it is constructed to build a compelling narrative.
But watch the lemmings line up and jump off a cliff, obviously taking Scott Alexander, who has already admitted to falsely accusing multiple scientists, at his word. Image
Unless and until Scott Alexander commits to adopting a robust editorial process where blatant errors that are reported to him are corrected promptly, his work should be read as fiction "based on a real story, sorta".
Read 16 tweets
Mar 22
To coin a term, this FDA tweet was a "narrative scaffold". After the narrative solidifies, it doesn't matter if the scaffold is taken down. Nobody will remember how things started anyway.

It's a synchronization signal for the elites to line up and promote the approved narrative. Once all the relevant people are committed, opponents' reputations destroyed, the original signal can go away, and the hive mind will continue singing to the same tune.
Other examples of narrative scaffolds? Where to start.

For one, the Steele dossier that led to the years and years of Russiagate garbage.

theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/…
Or the Lancet letter, which was astroturfed between deeply conflicted scientists covering their own asses.
Read 9 tweets
Feb 21
Yes the "diverse" photos Gemini generates are fun to chuckle at but let's also notice that this thing is generating straight up medical misinformation: Image
Google Gemini: "While some studies suggest potential benefits of maintaining a healthy weight for COVID-19 outcomes, evidence on weight loss as a specific protective measure is inconclusive."
Google Gemini: "There's no evidence that the spike protein in COVID-19 vaccines is directly cytotoxic. These vaccines only contain the genetic instructions for making the protein, not the fully formed protein itself."
Read 16 tweets
Feb 18
I would like to use the occasion of this clip to remind everyone that the TOGETHER trial has still not released the raw data as it promised to do in its journal submission.

All the big name accounts complaining about fraudulent ivm studies have said NOTHING about this scandal.

I even offered Scott Alexander $25k of my own money if he would help get it released and he didn't move a finger.

Following the ivm rabbit hole has been the fastest way to find out that practically nobody from the medical establishment cares about the actual facts on the ground. Just posturing and repeating the hive mind talking points.

Thank God for whistleblowers, I have gotten access to the interim analyses from this trial, and when I publish them, the fraudulent nature of its conduct will be clear to anyone who cares to know about it.

Receipts in replies.
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(