Sam Lowe Profile picture
Jul 21, 2021 12 tweets 3 min read Read on X
I'm afraid the eyerolling has begun.

"If only I had been a better negotiator ..."
Section one is genuinely one of the most embarrassing things I've ever read. Life is so unfair, if only I'd been listened to, if only the EU wasn't so mean.

Anyway, onto the substance.
Section 2 a fairly useful overview of what the UK has been doing to implement the protocol, and some of the challenges faced.
Although doesn't appear to mention that one of the reasons businesses struggled to prepare is that government wasted 6+ months pretending nothing to prepare for. (TSS not even put out to tender until the summer iirc).
Section 3 says the UK has every right to trigger Article 16 of the Protocol, but won't do it now. But might later.
Okay, onto the proposals. This is the one for customs, which seems ... a bit light on detail? (A constant EU criticism of UK proposals, fwiw.) It also kinda reads like ... a tweaked version of the existing TSS model?
Similar approach to food products, but with a few extras.
I suppose the argument here is that if the UK proposes absurdly maximalist solutions the eventual compromise will be closer to your preferred outcome? I dunno.
This is the proposal to deal with competing product standards. Labelling fixes all.
... and, let's have some more discussions.
I'm just slightly confused. I'm sympathetic to some of UK's arguments - and think further flexibilities on GB->NI border necessary (I've previously suggested extending "not at risk" approach into SPS sphere, medicines etc), but this proposal lacks both detail and realism.
But I also don't expect it to elicit a strong response from the EU side. See you all again in September, I guess.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Sam Lowe

Sam Lowe Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @SamuelMarcLowe

Jun 16, 2022
I was specifically going out of my way to ignore everything to do with this, but oh no I can’t have nice things.
Do you all want some background on this? Like. Do you really?
So last year the independent Trade Remedies Authority recommended that the UK remove a number of safeguard tariffs on Chinese steel.
Read 9 tweets
May 31, 2022
For those who missed it, I am reliably informed that this is a pretty accurate representation of what UK wants for the NI protocol.
As to whether an agreement is possible. I think there are viable solutions for many of the problems faced by businesses.

But how to frame it. Could the UK accept an agreement that gives it much of what it wants but sees no rewriting of the protocol?
Could the EU accept an agreement that sees small parts of the protocol rewritten but otherwise based on its own proposals?
Read 5 tweets
Apr 22, 2022
About to attempt the ol’ Stansted-Heathrow airport transfer
Friends, it is not going well.
I am now in a minicab and life is good again.
Read 4 tweets
Apr 9, 2022
Aha — excellent!

UK removing all tariffs on imports from Ukraine — hopefully other countries do the same.
For the people tweeting at me without checking, yes the EU and UK do already have a trade agreement with Ukraine, but it’s not fully duty and quota free.
To expand this further, for the list of items that still have tariffs applied, or are subject to a tariff-rate quota, despite the existing FTA (true for the EU association agreement too), please proceed to page 275 to 344.

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/upl…
Read 4 tweets
Mar 27, 2022
I currently find myself knowing far more about the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority's guidance on outsourcing involving cloud computers than I ever expected, or wanted, to know.
"Oh we don't require the onshoring of financial data."

Sure you don't, Australia. Sure you don't.
"You could store that financial data on a foreign cloud. We're not stopping you. It's just ... your life would be so much easier, less expensive, enjoyable, if you didn't. Y'know? But totally your choice. Honest."
Read 4 tweets
Feb 28, 2022
The UK-New Zealand FTA text has landed:

gov.uk/government/col…
And here is a side letter cementing the UK's recognition of Ngāti Toa Rangatira’s guardianship of the Haka Ka Mate

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/upl…
I know there’s more important things going on, but this is displacement activity for me.

This is, I believe, the first time New Zealand has made commitments covering contractual services suppliers in an FTA.

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/upl… Image
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(