Anders Sandberg Profile picture
Jul 26, 2021 5 tweets 2 min read Read on X
Got the idea of using sentences from @qntm's "Fine Structure" qntm.org/structure as input to VQGAN+CLIP. "It's like billion-voice music. The cities here are woven from constantly singing superstrings." Image
"A skyscraper whose ground floor is a human being but every other floor is filled with oozing alien organs and weird multidimensional sensors and wriggling feely things scraping against the metaphorical glass." Image
"'Oul' is the closest approximation in human language of the name of a cosmic eighty-plus-six-dimensional hyperweapon which fell out of the control of its creators." Image
"An automated network of space stations distributed over an oblate hemihyperspheroid of 4-space centred on Earth +1, eight light years in diameter and fourteen universes tall." Image
"There are pan-stellar civilisations. There are pan-universal civilisations. There are uplifted humanities crawling up the pillars of the Structure towards Upsilon layer, for whom Multiverse One was just the cradle." Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Anders Sandberg

Anders Sandberg Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @anderssandberg

Sep 3, 2023
Here is a plot of putative "richest person in the world" wealth as a fraction of US GDP over 200 years. It is not a large fraction. Image
Data from , GDP data from , US GDP estimated as average of decade, everything deflated.lovemoney.com/galleries/7453…
measuringworth.com/datasets/usgdp/
My main takeaway is that the richest do not dominate the economy as much as many assume, nor is there any post WWII trend towards them becoming much more powerful relative to the state.
Read 11 tweets
Mar 11, 2023
Two days ago I (like most people) had never heard of SVB. That we tend to discover systemically essential points of failure by them failing is deeply disturbing, especially if we want to make a more resilient world. Image
In 1993 the world discovered the hard way that a speciality resin used to affix integrated circuits was mostly produced in a single chemical plant. That had an explosion destroying production and stores. apnews.com/article/8fe292…
Something similar happened in January when the main US supplier of potassium permanganate had a fire, causing big problems for water treatment plants. cen.acs.org/environment/wa…
Read 8 tweets
Feb 21, 2023
Saying LLMs are just glorified autocomplete forgets that most human thought, action and speech is also glorified autocomplete.
Maybe the fraction that isn't autocomplete is the truly valuable part, but I suspect it is not a major fraction of everyday useful action.
I am pretty serious about this: the basal ganglia action pattern generators look like they are selected by softmax influenced by cortical stimulus fit. They get made/updated by RL rather than backprop, but very much a stimulus-response chain. med.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Ph…
This involves cognitive action selection: much of our thinking is also generating tokens in sequence, affected by other active tokens in the frontal-parietal working memory/attention system.
Read 5 tweets
Jan 11, 2023
Forwarding this on behalf of Nick Bostrom since he’s not active on Twitter. He wants to explain his views and publicly apologize for an old email that somebody might put out to damage him. nickbostrom.com/oldemail.pdf
The context is a thread on a mailing list in 1995 talking about offensive communication styles where he did the classic freshman philosophy student trick of writing something deliberately offensive to make a point. It didn’t turn out well (it never does): he promptly apologized.
I can see why he would want to retrospectively apologize for the whole thing. It actually does not represent his views and behavior as I have seen them over the 25 years I have known him.
Read 7 tweets
Jan 10, 2023
This is an important point. I *also* recall being super-skeptical about the JWST (I somewhat rudely asking John C. Mather if he could really get sigmas enough to handle the 344 single point failure - I owe him and the entire team an impressed apology). However...
So, clearly sometimes good planning and design can make things that are exceptionally reliable. This seem to happen mostly when (1) underlying physics and technology well understood, (2) designs optimized for reliability, (3) error correction mechanisms in production and use. Image
This does not bode well for AI or AGI at present. We do not have a great grasp of why many things happen (no 1). The product is not just due to design but also training (reducing 2). While error correction is key to training, it is less about reliability and more about function. Image
Read 9 tweets
Dec 16, 2022
#FridayPhysicsFun – “Launch him/it into the sun!” My husband was griping over breakfast about the expression: surely this is not a good way of disposing of anything?
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.…
Is it actually possible to make something that will hit the “surface” of the sun?
The first problem of throwing something into the sun is that you need to hit it. Earth is moving 30 km/s, so you need to give the object this velocity in the opposite direction to make it fall straight in. That is a lot more than Earth escape velocity.
Read 21 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(