ezrazuckermansivan.bsky.social Profile picture
Aug 6, 2021 20 tweets 10 min read Read on X
Question: What's with the odd omissions in Deuteronomy 16's presentation of the the 3 pilgrimage holidays?

** A "Dvar Torah" thread in honor of my father Alan Zuckerman z'l's 12th yahrzeit (30th of Av) for Parashat Re'eh (Deut 11:27-16:17) &***
The holidays are v familiar by this point in the Torah.

Q: What's new here?

A: Pilgrimage is important!

So for each holiday (incl an extra one for Paschal lamb), Moses says celebration must be "at the place God will choose to establish His name there" ImageImageImageImage
Moses even concludes with emphasizing this pilgrimage to this mysterious place (understood later to mean the Temple in Jerusalem) one more time.

OK we get the idea! Image
That this is the point of this presentation is reflected in the fact that the preceding chapters also present familiar laws (e.g., sacrifice, dietary laws) with this point of emphasis.

OK so when you get to the Land, the Central holy place will be key! ImageImageImageImage
Here's the thing though. If all Moses was doing was emphasizing this aspect of the pilgrimage festivals, why does he also seem to be *subtracting* aspects of these holidays?

Each holiday is missing something important!

Check it out:sefaria.org/Deuteronomy.16…
Ok, here's what's missing:

1. Passover/Matzot holiday

The Torah has been consistent (cf Ex 13) that there is a special day ("shabbaton" or "mikra kodesh" or "atseret") on the 1st as well as the 7th days.

But here (Deut 16:8) only the 7th day is mentioned! ImageImageImageImage
2. Shavuot/Pentecost

This one is subtle bc *each* presentation of this holiday is tantalizingly vague about *when* it occurs

But look closely & you'll see no holiday is in fact mentioned- just a sacrifice after the 7x7 day counting. Compare Deut 16:10 with Lev & Num! ImageImageImage
3. Sukkot/Booths

Ok this one is the most obvious:

Whereas earlier presentations of this holiday mention an 8th day holiday as well as a first day (with the 8th day sort of being it's own holiday & sort of being a continuation), Deut 16 is silent on what we call Shmini Atseret! ImageImageImage
So here's my theory about what's going on:

Moses is sending a subtle message about the importance of Shabbat!

He's saying:

Yes pilgrimage to these holy places is important. But but but but... make no mistake! Holiness of time (independent of place) is still paramount!
This message-- that Shabbat is the proverbial sun from which Israel's experience of holiness radiates-- is discernable in earlier places in the Torah as well.

E.g., Ex 31:13, when Moses instructs Israel that the construction of the tabernacle must stop every Shabbat. Image
And here in Deut 16, each of the odd omissions serves to accentuate the "Shabbatness" of the holiday:

a. Passover/Matzot now appears Shabbat-like in the emphasis on six days +1 special day (with language that in Hebrew sounds very Shabbat-like!) Image
b. Shavuot/Pentecost's "Shabbat-ness" is accentuated by omitting the holiday, i.e., day 50. What's left is 7x7. And did you notice that seven weeks (which in Hebrew reads 'seven seven-sets') is mentioned an extraneous time in the verse?

It's all about that 7!! Image
c. Sukkot/Booths

You can fill in this one. It's obvious why day 8 isn't mentioned. It would disrupt the seven/Shabbat-ness of the presentation!
Of course one can't know for sure that this is what's going on. But at least 3 additional pieces of evidence back it up:

A. The word sheva (seven) or shvi'i (seventh) occurs-- yep, you guessed it-- 7 times in Deut 16 (a very common biblical strategy to emphasize a theme) Image
B. Both Passover & Shavuot seem to be referencing Moses's earlier presentation of the Shabbat as recalling the Exodus. ImageImageImage
C. Both Shavuot and Sukkot seem to be referencing Moses's earlier presentation of the Shabbat as about caring for the lowly/weak in society. ImageImageImage
So the evidence seems strong I think, no?

The most obvious takeaway here is just to marvel at the beautiful way the Torah weaves themes such that potential tensions (holiness of place vs. time) emerge as resonant fusions.
The second obvious takeaway is that we should embrace Moses's invitation to enjoy our Shabbat/weekend!

(More reading on this here: blogs.timesofisrael.com/social-distanc…)

Shabbat Shalom!/Happy Weekend!
P.S. If you liked this thread, that's a credit to my dad who (together with my mom) built a household that revolved around the Shabbat & who inculcated in me a love of Torah (& of social science & the Yankees)

Here's more on what I've learned from him:

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with ezrazuckermansivan.bsky.social

ezrazuckermansivan.bsky.social Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @ewzucker

Nov 17, 2023
1/ A literary Bible🧵 in honor of my friends @AriLamm & @zugzwanged

(Leaving for @bluesky so last one 😢)

Features surprising link btwn seemingly unrelated characters
& reminds us not to use Bible as “comfort food” & but appreciate how it pushes us beyond moral comfort zone
2/ Our focus is the tragic, fraught scene in Gen 21 that is sometimes described as the “Binding of Ishmael” due to the many parallels between this story & the binding of Isaac (Gen 22) Image
3/ Strikingly, these parallels suggest remarkable equivalences:

between Israel’s 1st patriarch Abraham & a cast-out, foreign maidservant (whose name ha-gar can also be read ha-ger, or “the foreigner”)

&
between the 2nd patriarch Isaac & his erstwhile rival Ishmael Image
Read 31 tweets
Nov 13, 2023
1/ @RetsefL: the only person who's been "abusing" & "attacking" you is me. & you know it. I've wasted countless hours trying to get you to correct the record
Thx for beginning to do so

Journalists (@MaltzJudy, @havivrettiggur) & biz leaders (@ackman, @mikeeisenberg) take note
2/ There are really horrific incidents of antisemitism on Am campuses these days. I know of many that are *not* being publicized

I feel terribly for students, faculty, & staff in those universities

I also don't know what I'd do if I had colleagues in my departments who signed+
3/ 10/7-denalist statements, as many in my discipline of sociology have-- to our great shame

It's also simply horrific (esp if you're Jewish or Israeli) to have 10/7-denialists chanting massacre-friendly slogans all over campus, & interrupting classes- at @MIT & elsewhere
Read 13 tweets
Nov 10, 2023
I've learned more about moral panics in the last 36 hours than I ever learned reading about them

I'd like to propose that we're all living through a

*dual moral panic*

Quick/raw🧵 on what this means

(& see for classic cite on moral panics)jstor.org/stable/2083363
Start with analogies to financial market bubbles
(see & search "moral panic")

1 Like bubbles, moral panics are rooted in real facts & a compelling theory of what's behind those facts. The panickers usaually have very good reasons for their panic!!sociologicalscience.com/so-you-think-y…
2 Also like bubbles, they're fueled by strong social validation for papering over gaps between theory & fact, as well as biased interpretation of facts

If you might otherwise doubt what's going on, you have plenty of peers (in markets) or friends (in a panic) to support you
Read 13 tweets
Nov 9, 2023
🧵On the incredibly difficult moral dilemma we face viz the Israel-Hamas war

TLdr: The choices are bad bc moral clarity is everywhere demanded but “moral flexibility” (see linked paper) is pretty much all we see

osf.io/preprints/soca…
Begin with five observations:

1. The global left has destroyed its moral standing as critic of 🇮🇱 over its response (deny, diminish, deflect, justify, celebrate) to mass-murder, torture, & kidnapping of civilians
2. As in any just war war & especially one against an enemy that’s using a civilian population as a shield, the party fighting the just war must necessarily put civilian lives at risk without their consent
Read 24 tweets
Nov 1, 2023
At the heart of what’s making diaspora Jews viscerally afraid right now is simply the fact that we’re taking up so much space in people’s heads & emotional lives right now

That’s why Jews are often as uncomfortable with philo-semitism as with antisemitism

We know we’re+
just regular people, with the same array of faults & sins as everyone else. We constantly disappoint & outrage *one another* (as family members do!), & so we’re going to do that to you too if you follow us closely

Therein lies the danger

Which is familiar to us from cases of+
celebrities who disappoint us with their moral failures. We’re resentful of them that they ‘took’ so much of our emotional lives from us only to make us feel like schmucks

I don’t have a solution to this

It’s an age old problem (you can see it in the Greco-Roman antisemitism+
Read 11 tweets
Oct 31, 2023
A lot of heated debate about whether the slogan

“🇵🇸 will be free from the river to the sea” is genocidal or not

Fair question

But as Jamal & Yarhi-Millo point out, it’s a distraction from key Q whether this sloganeering is *productive*

🧵 on why not

nytimes.com/2023/10/30/opi…
Two main issues:

1. Downside of left “language of activism”

2. Dangerous ignorance
1. RememberTrump’s slogan “Build the Wall & Mexico will pay for it!” ?

It was infuriating to Democrats like me

But it worked to rally Trump supporters who insisted it was serious but not literal

theatlantic.com/politics/archi…
Read 16 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(