Dr Rachel Clarke Profile picture
Aug 13, 2021 13 tweets 6 min read Read on X
The quiet heroism of the @RNLI - whose lifeboat crews & lifeguards have saved nearly 150k lives since its foundation in 1824 – deserves our total respect, not the hate of late.

Take this week in St Agnes, North Cornwall, one over-excited dog, & this 300 foot cliff... 😱 (1/n) Image
On Wed evening, the waves were high & the atmosphere wild.

Kids and adults alike were shrieking with delight in the surf.

Rupert the dog, a golden retriever, was pretty intoxicated himself as he chased a ball along the coastal footpath... (2/n) Image
Owners Katie & James watched in horror as Rupert chased his ball straight over the cliff edge.

“We shouted for him to stop but before we knew it, he went for it and tumbled head over tail down the cliff face," said Katie. (3/n)

😱😱😱 Image
Local @RNLI area manager Steve Instance, here on the beach, told me there have been many casualties over this clifftop - none have survived the drop.

Rupert had almost certainly perished. (4/n) Image
The St Agnes @RNLI lifeboat was scrambled at 8.33pm and launched just 8 minutes later.

Volunteer lifeboat helm, Tom Forehead, said, “With a fall of that nature, it’s fair to say we were expecting the worst."

But... (5/n) Image
The hapless hound, who had just plummeted 300 feet into the sea, was alive!

"We were delighted to find Rupert frightened but OK. He was tucked in the back of the small cave on the beach, so two of our crew waded over to him and brought him back to the lifeboat." (6/n) Image
This story is shared with permission & @RNLI are keen to stress that dog owners should keep dogs on leads on cliff paths (& that, if your dog falls, don't attempt to reach it but call 999 & ask for the Coastguard). (7/n) Image
But the point for me is this.

Every day, on our coastlines and inland, *thousands* of volunteers are doing their bit to keep our waters safe for people in peril and even, occasionally, the odd kamikaze dog.

People like Jill here, in St Agnes (8/n) Image
Or like Steve, whose Cornish parents were both volunteer lifeguards, and who became one himself when aged only 16.

You don't do this for fame or riches or glory. You do it because you want to help people in need & in danger. (9/n) Image
The @RNLI, in short - this remarkable network of volunteers, fundraisers, unpaid lifeguards & lifeboat crews who risk their lives to save others - are the absolute best of us. The kindest, most decent, most admirable best of us.

So thank you, @RNLI 🙏🐶🌊

And... (10/n) Image
If anyone felt like supporting true bravery not keyboard warriors, proper kindness not Twitter cynicism, decency not racism, love not hate.... you can donate to the @RNLI here.

92% of their donations comes from ordinary members of the public 💙 (ends)

rnli.org/support-us/giv…
Last comment - the official @RNLI verdict on Rupert is that he is clearly not a normal dog, he's a cat dog.
Last, last comment.

During WW2, my dear granddad was a doctor on a Royal Naval destroyer defending the North Atlantic convoys. His ship once rescued the crew of a torpedoed German U-boat.

I still remember him telling me, as a child: "They were souls in the sea. So we helped."

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Dr Rachel Clarke

Dr Rachel Clarke Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @doctor_oxford

May 13
Astonished to see @timspector doubling down on his reckless comments re: boosting 'cancer immunity' by stopping using SPF year round.

The study on which he bases his claim is in mice, not humans - & one of the study's own authors has publicly disputed Spector's conclusions. 1/3 Image
As a doctor, how can he possibly imply we should use less sunscreen in order to reduce cancer risk?

Vit D deficiency from lack of sunshine can be addressed by diet.

But fatal skin cancers, as I know all too well in palliative medicine, cannot. 2/3 Image
Why did he not provide in his post the vital, balancing context that SPF use in general demonstrably lowers your risk of skin cancers?

All doctors have a duty to be provide the public with accurate, impartial health information.

This was grossly irresponsible. 3/3
Read 4 tweets
Mar 30
🧵 Whatever your views on assisted dying, one thing I’d hoped we’d all agree on is that the topic is ethically fraught & complex.

Not so Matthew Parris.

For him, it’s simple. Old & frail people *should* be killed - to save society the cost of looking after them. 1/n Image
In no sense am I twisting Parris’s words.

Here he rehearses an argument often used by opponents of AD to fight legal change - that with time, it will lead to people feeling pressured to end their lives prematurely (for it would be socially irresponsible of them not to). 2/n Image
Parris, you’ll have noted, takes that argument to a chilling extreme. He imagines compulsion/coercion being used - a world in which AD would be “urged upon” people.

And far from rejecting that world, he positively embraces it. 3/n Image
Read 15 tweets
Mar 21
Dear 🇬🇧,

The current state of UK medicine - a brief 🧵

Exactly 1 week ago, I felt I had no choice but to resign from giving a keynote speech at this year's @RCPhysicians annual conference.

The behaviour of the College leadership left me no choice. 1/n

The @RCPhysicians had been forced by its Fellows to hold an Extraordinary General Meeting - the third ever held in its >500 year history.

Fellows were appalled at the College's key role in driving through the government's plans to replace doctors with cheaper substitutes. 2/n
@RCPhysicians Doctors like me are deeply concerned about the risks to patient safety of replacing doctors with physician associates.

Here's one heartbreaking example. A young woman who died from a blood clot, missed by a PA.

Emily believed she'd seen a doctor. 3/n

Read 15 tweets
Mar 20
Dear UK public,

Yesterday, hot on the heels of widespread concern among doctors at the govt’s project of replacing NHS doctors with doctor substitutes, @gmcuk released a blog about its future intentions.

It left doctors like me reeling.

Here's why 🧵

gmcuk.wordpress.com/2024/03/12/dev…
@gmcuk First, a reminder of what the GMC is.

Founded 166 years ago, the GMC protects the public by maintaining a register of drs in the UK, controlling entry to the register & suspending or erasing members if necessary.

It sets standards for all UK doctors.

Weighty, vital stuff. 2/n Image
@gmcuk It’s raison d’être, in other words, is protecting you - the British public - by ensuring the highest standards of UK medicine.

So far so good.

I want a robust regulator as much as you do! I care deeply & seriously about keeping my patients safe.

But... 3/n
Read 16 tweets
Mar 18
Dear 🇬🇧,

Please read - this NHS scandal potentially affects you all.

🧵 Having studied the data, just released, from the @RCPhysicians members' survey on PAs, I couldn't be more disgusted by the lack of probity, honesty & fairness of those who lead my Royal College. 1/n Image
Last week, @RCPhysicians leaders were forced, against their will, by members & fellows to hold an extraordinary general meeting: only the 3rd in the Royal College's >500 year history. 2/n
@RCPhysicians We insisted on the #RCPEGM because we were so appalled by our College's role in enabling the government's project of replacing doctors with cheaper & less well-trained doctor substitutes (physician associates) in an extraordinary array of medical jobs across the NHS. 3/n
Read 17 tweets
Mar 9
🧵 Doctors are depressingly used to being smeared by govt ministers.

But likening us to intimidatory "drug dealers" is a new low from @JimBethell.

He's trying to delegitimise our genuine patient safety concerns about @DHSCgovuk's roll out of PAs as doctor substitutes. 1/n
The crux of the issue is this.

The government (reasonably enough) looked at ways of reducing the NHS staff bill.

Physicians assistants - less qualified & cheaper than doctors - would assist doctors in admin/straightforward tasks, freeing them up for more complex work. 2/n
So far so good.

But scope creep began. PAs were renamed physicians associates.

They started to do more & more of the work traditionally reserved for doctors (meaning our rigorous standards of training & regulatory oversight no longer applied). 3/n
Read 11 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(