VICE News Profile picture
Aug 25, 2021 9 tweets 4 min read Read on X
NEW: We 3D-printed a glock to see how far homemade guns have come. trib.al/GcdOa9A
We even ended up taking third place in the 3D-printed pistol category at the “Gun Maker’s Match” in Florida, the first-ever shooting competition exclusively for home-assembled firearms. trib.al/GcdOa9A
3D-printed guns have advanced radically since the first ones were printed in 2013, becoming easier to make and more reliable.

Now, the sudden proliferation of ghost guns is prompting alarm among law enforcement nationwide. trib.al/GcdOa9A
Nearly 24,000 “privately-made firearms” were recovered at crime scenes from 2016-2020, according to a DOJ report obtained by The Trace, and the number of cases where felons and other “prohibited persons” were found with such guns doubled in a single year. trib.al/GcdOa9A
Ghost guns have also turned up in the hands of white supremacists and far-right extremists, including a self-proclaimed Boogaloo Boi who pleaded guilty last month to possession of 3D-printed machine gun parts and a homemade silencer. trib.al/GcdOa9A
Building our ghost glock was a lot of work—it took around 22 hours from start to finish. Making a fully-functioning semi-auto handgun from plastic and a few metal parts, it turns out, is totally legal (at least in Florida). trib.al/GcdOa9A
The most common and controversial ghost guns cost a few hundred dollars online and come “80 percent” finished in a box with all the necessary tools. The Biden administration is moving to regulate these kits. trib.al/GcdOa9A
But even if “80 percent” kits are regulated, anyone with access to a printer, a few hundred dollars, and some free time will still be able to crank out a semi-auto pistol, one with no paper trail to identify the owner. trib.al/GcdOa9A
Read our full story: trib.al/GcdOa9A

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with VICE News

VICE News Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @VICENews

Dec 1, 2023
EXCLUSIVE: A network of neo-Nazi fight clubs has been growing across Canada.

VICE News has discovered the identity of a young man at the center: 🧵1/5 Image
The Active Clubs are the fastest-growing neo-Nazi movement in Canada. They meet up regularly to train martial arts, put up racist posters, and recruit young, easily manipulated white men to their cause. 🧵2/5 Image
The man behind the group’s growth was formerly connected to Atomwaffen, a group that’s been declared a terrorist organization in his home country. Since the death of the terror group, he’s been focusing on growing a more subtle but just as insidious form of hate. 🧵3/5 Image
Read 5 tweets
Nov 1, 2023
Neo-Nazis are showing up at pro-Palestine protests in an attempt to push anti-Jewish conspiracy theories and tropes into the mainstream. Here’s what you need to know about them. 🧵1/6
The presence of these groups, like the white nationalist and antisemitic National Justice Party, at protests shouldn’t be seen as an indication that there is some ideological kinship between them and the wider pro-Palestine movement. 🧵2/6
Neo-Nazis have used growing anger against the Israeli government as an opportunity to spew antisemitic and anti-immigrant conspiracy theories, launder them into the mainstream, and drive recruitment. 🧵3/6
Read 6 tweets
Apr 26, 2023
After he was outed as a teen, Tony's evangelical parents told him he was “going to hell.”

An LGBTQ rights group gave him hope, but then his mom withdrew permission for counseling—based on advice from a group called Moms of Liberty. trib.al/rOQk82T
Moms for Liberty, an organization that calls itself a “parental rights group,” had persuaded Tony’s mom Carolyn that the Rainbow Youth Project was trying to “convince Tony to have his private parts removed and changed.”
“They were trying to indoctrinate me to be a foot soldier for their cause, to hold bake sales and raise money, go to the school boards and stand up and fight against them,” Carolyn told VICE News. “Looking back, it was never about Tony. It was about them.”
Read 8 tweets
Dec 15, 2022
Gabriela was 17, pregnant, and out of options. The much-older father of the baby insisted she keep it a secret. She was sent to the Rosa Maria House—a Christian shelter where she’d learn to become a mother. (1/9) trib.al/MVTtb3X
Paraguay is arguably South America’s most conservative and religious country. Children and teens who become pregnant see little option beyond giving birth, whether they want to be mothers or not. (2/9) vice.com/en/article/bvm…
“I even tried to commit suicide, I wanted to have an abortion. My life was a disaster back then,” said Gabriela. (3/9) vice.com/en/article/bvm…
Read 9 tweets
Nov 30, 2022
In a suicide note, Danny Elliot wrote, “there are millions of chronic pain patients suffering just like me because of the DEA. Nobody cares.”

He and his wife died one week after the DEA raided a doctor’s office in California. (1/9) trib.al/N2RLcsN
The DEA suspended the ability of Danny’s doctor to prescribe powerful opioids, including fentanyl. For pain clinic patients like Danny, the drug was a necessary part of life. (2/9) vice.com/en/article/wxn…
Danny Elliott, 61, had lived with debilitating pain since an electrical accident in 1991. Once a class president and basketball star in high school, he found himself spending days on end in a darkened bedroom. (3/9) vice.com/en/article/wxn…
Read 9 tweets
Oct 17, 2022
“I felt like I was going to die. Then I decided I was never going to do this again.”

Jessica figured it would be one of those nights where she’d be up until dawn doing cocaine—but she didn’t expect the experience to be terrifying. (1/9) trib.al/C6RpBAn
The Toronto-based journalist was sharing a gram of coke with friends one night in March but within an hour, she said her heart was pounding. She tried to calm down and take deep breaths. Nothing worked. (2/9) vice.com/en/article/z34…
“It started feeling more like a hallucinogen. I looked at the ceiling and I just panicked ‘cause it felt like the ceiling was caving in on me.” (3/9) vice.com/en/article/z34…
Read 9 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(