Gareth Dennis Profile picture
Sep 5, 2021 32 tweets 12 min read Read on X
The last leg! Paris to York! 😭

(terrible PTI of course, as with all high speed European trains)
So little left of our 4000km epic from south east to north west Europe...
Well, this is true... I'm already getting giddy about passing through it, as I always do.
We got up to some stuff in our half-day here...
Genuinely forgot we'd booked Standard Premier, and I have to say I'm glad of it... Not least for the (now eaten and definitely tasty) grub! Thanks @Eurostar!
Though @Eurostar - can you please fix the overhead screens (they are stuck on this) as I'd like to know how fast we are going and these e320s are Faraday cages for GPS!
Lovely sliding table action though, @SiemensMobility... No expense spared here! 🏆
oh oh oh oH OH OH OH OOOOOH 🚇 #chunnel
To my mind the Channel Tunnel is one of Europe’s greatest engineering achievements. So passing through it always gets me excited.

I picked out a beefy selection of highlights about its construction, history and current operations for @RAIL back in 2019:
garethdennis.medium.com/channel-tunnel…
(Shame about the fash fencing that we wouldn't need if we just provided unlimited legal routes for people who want to live in the UK to get into our country without risking their lives.)
Oh, and I threaded a TV show about it if that's the sort of thing you fancy (lots of nice archive footage):
le BIG BOI
So there's no overheads (incidentally the first heavy rail running lines without overheads I'm seeing for this whole trip) but the trains are still electric? How confusing.
This view is definitely more fun in the other direction...
(we've probably already arrived by the time these post, I'll continue shortly)
Having been on quite a few miles of high speed line over the last week, I've just realised that a major constituent cost element of new UK rail alignments must be that WE BURY THEM ALL IN MASSIVE CUTTINGS that cost the earth (literally)... 😖
(Ed: check this)
IT'S THE EYE OF THE NEEDLE!
(or would be if there wasn't a sound barrier)
Here's a bad picture of the Thurrock Viaduct working its way under and over the Queen Elizabeth crossing and the Dartford Tunnel respectively (not sure if in that order though):
We've arrived (at 6pm, only two hours after leaving Paris)... And what an arrival it is! 😍
Thanks @Eurostar and @StPancrasInt for welcoming us back after the better part of 4000km of travel... And in pretty decent style, too 🤩
From one glorious place to another, and this one does feel a bit more like home... Also this thread is catching up with real time again ⏳
This thread is back in real-time again, and whilst this @LNER #Azuma isn't reaching 186mph, we are travelling at a higher average speed than we were on the Frecciarossa...

125mph plus tight timetabling plus rapid station passes makes a lot of difference!
See!

(This thread covered our Rome to Paris leg.)
The ride quality is *much* worse here though, it has to be said. Sorry everyone at Hitachi/Network Rail, but my bum (and this glass of orange juice) doesn't lie.
Also: masks just aren't a thing here anymore, I see 😔
Frecciarossa 1000 loo doors!
Worth pointing out that the ride quality isn't a safety issue - there's a fifty-times increase in track tolerance requirements at the 200km/h threshold which will account for a lot of the difference.

(though I'd love to compare the East and West Coast Main Lines 😈)
We're nearly in York, which means I obviously have to dedicate all of this to my wonderful, wise and unwearying travelling companion, who has been dealing with my irrepressible and chaotic nonsense not just over the last three weeks, but for 6 years now.

Thanks, @JankovicDina 😘
It's (a very busy) York station! Long time, no see!
Finally, after much adventuring, we end both today and the whole holiday just as we started it... On @tierscooters to our corner of York 🛴💨

Time for bed. Thanks for following!

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Gareth Dennis

Gareth Dennis Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @GarethDennis

Nov 12, 2022
I don't know who needs to hear it, but giving public sector workers a decent above-inflation pay rise is probably one of the quickest ways to turn the UK economy around.
(I do know who needs to hear it, it's Labour shadow cabinet members.)
All the people replying to this saying this will increase inflation: you are wrong and your ignorance is very dangerous. Parrot your Friedman propaganda elsewhere.
theconversation.com/why-wages-shou…
Read 5 tweets
Nov 12, 2022
Apropos of nothing, here are two maps showing where Britain's high speed rail network should be... Not for the high speed trains, but for the capacity they'd release on heavily congested existing railway lines. #whyHS2 ImageImage
What are those maps? They show average daily road flows (the second one is for HGVs).

This is straight out of @safemyth's excellent report on HS2's carbon benefits: #whyHS2
The sooner we paint a permanent, long-term picture of what our transport systems should look like, the sooner we can build them. Yet only one major party in the UK has attempted to even get close to doing this (the @scottishgreens).

Nothing is stopping @UKLabour doing this NOW.
Read 4 tweets
Sep 17, 2022
Let's talk about this #Gadgetbahn: the Padova t̶r̶a̶m̶ guided bus.
Firstly, let's get the important question out of the way... What is it?

If the branding of the system is to be believed, it's a tram. Spoiler alert: it isn't.
Because a glance under the sideskirts and at the roadway reveals that the branding is fibbing: the vehicles are supported on rubber tyres, and the single steel rail only acts as a guideway.
Read 22 tweets
Sep 16, 2022
I seem to be seeing a lot of these ex-@EddieStobartCom (?) boxes at the moment... Plus these wagons are German, so these will have done a long trip at some point.

Also: retrofitted side-loading ISO boxes? Clever if so!
From the top...
Never let anyone tell you the railway isn't green, etc... ImageImage
Read 6 tweets
Jun 30, 2022
There's easily a full #RailNatter episode covering how wrong everything in this tweet is...
For starters, the ECML was resignalled in the 1950s with one of the most sophisticated power signalling systems in the world, and then again in the 1990s with genuinely world-leading solid state interlocking (SSI). Since then, further incremental upgrades have continued. Image
For the most part, this is why ETCS offers little in the way of capacity benefits on the ECML - four aspect signalling already provides minimal headways between trains.

Only new tracks (HS2's eastern leg) can provide a real capacity uplift - and @grantshapps cancelled it. Image
Read 7 tweets
Nov 18, 2021
Well, the #IntegratedRailPlan (a.k.a. #RailBetrayal) has landed. And immediately we can see that their plans are just a re-announcement of things that have already been planned (or indeed cancelled):
Actually, the proposals precisely mimic the NIC's Rail Needs Assessment from last year, despite government decrying it loudly after its publication.

If you want to understand why those plans were bad, I wrote about it in reasonable detail: #RailBetrayal
garethdennis.medium.com/the-nic-have-f…
Good god. You know what? It isn't possible for me to thread this document as I'd planned to as it is genuine top-to-bottom bullshit. #RailBetrayal

This paragraph, for example, is completely untrue. How on earth did the HS2 plans prevent electrification? This is fiction!
Read 25 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(