Sarah Phillimore Profile picture
Sep 7, 2021 9 tweets 4 min read Read on X
Of course Sonia Appleby had ‘an agenda’. It was child safeguarding. This is where ludicrous accusations of ‘transphobia’ will get you. The deliberate abandonment of children’s welfare to serve an adult ideology.
So how did the usual suspects comment on this story? They didn’t. Here’s Mermaids and one of their patrons. How is upholding Gillick competence an attack on it?
Here’a David and John, and the burning issues of the day
Katy wants your validation and your money. But no comment on such a significant development about a failure in child safeguarding.
I would have like to ask Annie Wallace what on Earth she thinks she is blathering on about re Gillick competence - but predictably.
But there are other ways of making contact
And I can see I have been unfair to Ms Wallace. She did in fact comment. But not on the clear failures to safeguard young children. Because, I suggest, for this group, medical transition from 10 years is seen as an ambition, not a medical negligence action in waiting.
We have to be aware of this. It’s a dangerous false equivalence, pushed by Jolyon Maugham among others. A 15 year girl taking birth control to avoid pregnancy is nothing like a 12 year old girl taking testosterone.
The latter will cause immediate and irreversible consequences to the child’s body and put her future fertility at risk. I do not see how any 12 year old is able to consent to this. But for some reason, a group of adults thinks it’s essential to THEIR validation.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Sarah Phillimore

Sarah Phillimore Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @SVPhillimore

May 20
In a truly shocking judgment in the Edinburgh Rape Crisis Centre para 57 stands out for me - the response to a warm, empathetic email looking for a way forward

“Your email was humiliating, so I feel humiliated. I don’t want to have
any conversations about this with you.”

We have given power to the thin skinned, the narcissistic and the actively dangerous. How many judgements like this will it take to restore sanity? It should not have required ANY.

4102236 - Judgment - 14.05.2024 (redacted).pdf - Google Drive
Para 75 - the point about giving primacy to one minority group inevitably means that others will suffer. Rights ARE a pie.

"There was a staff meeting on 7th July which the claimant attended which was about trans inclusion. There was no space for discussion about getting to the
heart of any of the issues but instead the meeting was essentially based on two questions around “how can we be better at being trans inclusive.” The meeting was very tightly controlled."
Again, para 114, those in charge of disciplinary proceedings did not know of the Forstater case, could not name it. WHO IS ADVISING THESE PEOPLE? Will they ever be held to account?
Read 18 tweets
Mar 16
Gender identity ideology is a virus that eats the brain.

Nothing proves that assertion more neatly than this complaint and subsequent suspension from the @TheGreenParty of yet another member of @GreenPartyWomen. Image
Remember ladies - the Green Party denies that your sex exists. Any plea for protection of same sex female spaces is a ‘transphobic dog whistle’. Image
The Green Party encourages unlawful discrimination and defamatory, dehumanising slurs against those with protected belief. Image
Read 4 tweets
Feb 25
This for me is the key quote from the GMN response to the proposed 'Conversion Practices' Bill, and why I think it such enormous folly to direct attention and vitriol to individual trans identifying men. This is an attempt to capture the entire criminal justice system.

I really hope people will use their finite energies and resources to tackle this, rather than just trade insults on line. This is most definitely not a drill.

"In requiring a court to embrace a politically contested concept where one side of the debate believes in the existence of that concept and one does not, the court becomes, in effect a religious court siding with those who have such a belief."
While some are frothing about 'perverts' THIS is what actual politicians want to see made LAW.

"By way of example, a private counsellor who told a young patient to their professional view was that they were suffering internalised homophobia and manifesting a transgender identity as a result could in theory be prosecuted for a single activity intended and having the purpose of supressing a transgender identity. Given the interim Cass report[15] emphasises the importance of multi-disciplinary intervention, counselling and therapy, it is surprising that such services are placed in jeopardy of criminal prosecution."
I have already criticised the legally illiterate approach to parental responsibility, which then slides into talking about 'treating the child's welfare as paramount concern' . As the GMN point out, this is borrowing the statutory compulsion on COURTS to make decisions with the child's welfare as paramount. It doesn't apply to parents. All they have to do is not subject the children to significant harm or the risk of it. Any higher obligation is impermissible social engineering. If this Bill is made law then the criminal and family courts will diverge in ways that are potentially irreconcilable.

Also, I fail to see why or how PR is relevant for a Gillick competent child. As GMN say

"As children get older, they become more and more competent at law to look after themselves and parental responsibility is thus exercised less. It follows from this that not all Defendants who have parental responsibility under the relevant legislation will necessarily be exercising it."
Read 5 tweets
Dec 30, 2023
As I go further down the rabbit hole with regard to how children are treated by those who insist that gender identity is the preferred organising category, I come across this interesting book from 2017. Image
It’s basic premise is that trans children have always existed and denial of this is - of course - genocide. I had not realised this word had begun to misused as early as 2017, or that we could have such a thing as ‘procedural genocide’. Image
But what is fundamentally alarming is the constant repetition that to deny children agency is to ‘infantalise’ them, and to muddy the waters by including those over 18 as children. This points to a crucial misdirection that Mermaids also relied upon heavily - if a child says they are trans, they are trans - thus lumping together the 3 year old and the 17 year old who are worlds apart in their ability to process information and understand it.Image
Read 12 tweets
Dec 11, 2023
A ratio for the ages. And a further interesting evolution of the word ‘transphobia’. It seems to be evolving from a word that could have ended a career even a year ago, to a word that now provokes mockery or proud declaration.

Can you think of any other self-identifying civil rights movement that followed this trajectory? I can’t.

But behind the justified anger something darker lurks. This man is not ‘trans’. He is part of a minority fetish called ‘sissy’. Image
This is a public site, in his own - male - name. He posts things like this. Image
Read 9 tweets
Jul 5, 2023
Shout out to the Telecom Tower who saved my life in 1990 - guiding me back to Charlotte Street from Camden.
Under His/Her/Their Eye
Arrived!

Read 24 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(