Toby Harnden Profile picture
Sep 12, 2021 23 tweets 15 min read Read on X
THREAD: Every author stands on shoulders of those who've gone b4. I'm no exception. I’d like to highlight books I drew on for “First Casualty: The Untold Story of the CIA Mission to Avenge 9/11." Select Bibliography includes 136 books + 150 more here tobyharnden.com/bibliography-f… - 1
For “First Casualty,” I interviewed every surviving member of Team Alpha, 93 people on record, many others off, & logged 327 hours of interviews. + diaries, emails, documents (some classified). BUT published books + articles were huge resource. As my chaotic shelves attest - 2
I owe particular debt to five foundational books: @DougStantonBook's Horse Soldiers, an outstanding account of the Green Berets in N.Afghanistan; @SteveCollNY's Ghost Wars & Directorate S, magisterial works on @CIA in Afghanistan & Pakistan -3
4 & 5 foundational -
.@BrianGlynWillms’s The Last Warlord, the definitive biography of Abdul Rashid Dostum; & Charles Briscoe, Richard Kiper, James Schroder, & Kalev Sepp’s Weapon of Choice, the official history of US Army Special Operations Forces in Afghanistan - 4
Memoirs were invaluable – “First In” by Gary Schroen, “Jawbreaker” by Gary Berntsen, “Foxtrot in Kandahar” by Duane Evans, “At the Center of the Storm” by George Tenet, “The Art of Intelligence,” by Hank Crumpton. These books are coffee stained and full of scrawled notes - 5
More invaluable memoirs: @CIA - 88 Days to Kandahar” by Bob Grenier, “The Great War of Our Time” by @MichaelJMorell, DoD - American Soldier” by Tommy Franks, “Known & Unknown” by Donald Rumsfeld, “War & Decision” by Doug Feith; "Inside CENTCOM" by Mike DeLong - 6
Important works for me were: “Bloody Heroes,” by @authordlewism, on the SBS; “My Heart Became Attached” by Mark Kukis, on John Walker Lindh; and Richard Mahoney’s “Getting Away with Murder.” The research and writings of Bill Knarr were an essential resource. - 7
I drew on work of dozens of journalists who braved Afghanistan in fall 2001 while I reported from comfort of US. Among outstanding accounts were those by @lukeharding1968, @carlottagall, @PerryAlexJ, @RYP__ , @Mcinparis, @justinhuggler, @CMSennott Some wrote books - 8
Which author thinking about & researching Afghanistan could do without the work of Ahmed Rashid, my former @Telegraph colleague? Not me - 9
As well as his war reporting for @nytimes - among very best of last 20 years - @cjchivers wrote two great books “The Gun” & “The Fighters.” The latter gave me poignant material on Capt. Paul Syverson KIA Iraq 2004 - 10
Getting into broader influences now, but fantastic books from @tomricks1 - building on his @washingtonpost reporting, & buttressing his ongoing fearless analyses of & insights into what US has done wrong. “The Generals” & esp. “Fiasco,” on Iraq, were groundbreaking - 11
Staying broad, I was heavily influenced by the late George Crile’s “Charlie Wilson’s War” - incredible characters - & @MarkBowdenwrite’s seminal “Black Hawk Down” - unmatchable accounts of combat - 12
I’ve always felt that the story of Flight 93 was an inspiration to so many of post 9/11 generation, including Team Alpha. Paul Greengrass movie incredible - also, these books “Among the Heroes” by Jere Longman & “Let’s Roll” by Todd Beamer’s widow Lisa Beamer - 13
Bob Woodward’s reporting has been incredible for decades. His access gets him stuff few can dream of - & he uses it. “Bush at War” - amazing. But have you heard of “102 Days of War” by Yaniv Barzilay? It’s fantastic, & so useful to me for “First Casualty” - 14
Broad again. “The Good Soldiers” by David Finkel & “”The Forever War” by Dexter Filkins. How could these two books be bettered? What’s their secret? Maybe a hint for authors is that neither appears to be on Twitter! - 15
Other great Iraq war books - “To Start a War” by @DraperRobert, just brilliant on how it happened (& covers period of “First Casualty), “In a Time of War” by @BillMurphyJr & “Black Hearts” - the dark underbelly of war - by the late Jim Frederick. Please excuse dog intruding - 15
It’s nerve-racking when great books come out just before yours. I really benefited from reading The Hardest Place” (clever, connects so many dots) by @wesleysmorgan & “Eagle Down” by @jessdonati (brill on SF) before “First Casualty” went to print - 16
Other great books on Afghanistan that provided material and/or made me think more deeply - “Our Man” by George Packer, “No Good Men…” by @Anand_Gopal_ , “The Spy Masters” by @ccwhip, “Only Thing Worth Dying For” by @EricBlehm & “How We Missed The Story” by @Roy_Gutman - 17
Amazing thing abt being @littlebrown author is u find yourself in company like this. “The Outpost” by @jaketapper - one of standout war books of mod. times -“Surprise, Kill, Vanish” by @AnnieJacobsen - startling material - “War on Peace” by @RonanFarrow - deep dive on Dostum - 18
This could go on forever. I’m sure I’ve missed important books out - there are nearly 300 in “First Casualty” bibliography + more in endnotes. Here’s a shelf of espionage books downstairs - 19
Another @littlebrown author is Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. It’s essential reading. David Tyson, Team Alpha member, who killed many AQ at close quarters & is haunted, has read his works - 20
A trilogy of 9/11 books I drew on for “First Casualty” - the still essential Commission report (so well written), “Inside 9-11” by @derspiegel reporters, & @vermontgmg’s superb, peerless “The Only Plane in the Sky” - 21
So many books, so much reporting. Hope this a reminder that no author is an island. Alm. every book contains something valuable. I learned so much fm reading broadly & deeply when researching “First Casualty.” Final pic shows some of my shelves are neat - ish! - 22 ENDS THREAD

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Toby Harnden

Toby Harnden Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @tobyharnden

Sep 11, 2023
THREAD on 22nd anniversary of 9/11 attacks about experiences that day of the Americans who’d fight back against al-Qaeda. Page numbers from HC of my book “First Casualty: The Untold Story of the CIA Mission to Avenge 9/11” (PB w new Epilogue available) - 1 amazon.com/First-Casualty…
4:45pm (GMT+5) Sep 11, 2001, @CIA officer David Tyson’s Tashkent-London flight took off. He was preoccupied by 9/9 Al-Qaeda assassination of Ahmad Shah Massoud (he’d met him in Panjshir). Same moment 6,000 miles & 9 time zones away, Mohammed Atta was boarding a plane (p. 3) - 2 Image
@CIA 8 a.m. (GMT-4), Trumbo Point, Fleming Key, Florida. Capt Justin Sapp, 29, Green Beret in 5th SF Group, entered water to swim to shore during his SF diver qualifying course. He was beneath the waves as 9/11 attacks unfolded. Later, Sapp was assigned to @CIA Team Alpha (p. 24) - 3 Image
Read 32 tweets
Nov 25, 2022
THREAD: Remembering Mike Spann today, the 21st anniversary of his death during Al-Qaeda prisoner uprising at Qala-i Jangi near Mazar-i Sharif. CIA officer, Marine, husband, father. He went down fighting, engaging the enemy at close quarters with his Kalashnikov & Glock 17. 1/14 Image
Mike had inserted into Afghanistan with @CIA’s Team Alpha on Oct 17, 2001, in a Black Hawk from K2 base in Uzbekistan. He is represented by 79th star on @CIA’s Memorial Wall & remembered in the hearts of his family and comrades. There are now 139 stars on the wall. 2/14 Image
From my book First Casualty. Page 42: There was never any question in Mike Spann’s mind that he would be part of America’s response to the Al-Qaeda attack on 9/11. 3/14 amazon.com/First-Casualty…
Read 14 tweets
Oct 17, 2021
THREAD - 20 years ago today 8 men became first Americans behind enemy lines after 9/11 - @CIA’s Team Alpha. Landed in Darya Suf Valley 2 a.m. local after flight in 2 Black Hawks from K2 base. Only 7 returned. Their story is told in my book “First Casualty” by @littlebrown - 1
There had been four days
of delays due to poor weather and debates among Task Force Dagger
staff over different routes to get the CIA into the Darya Suf Valley to
link up with General Abdul Rashid Dostum - “First Casualty” p. 71 - 2
Before settling on Black Hawks, crossing into Afghanistan on foot had been considered. Team Alpha had been told they might be parachuted from plane launched from aircraft carrier in Arabian Sea. “You might have to wear a burqa,” Tm Alpha’s Capt. Justin Sapp had been informed. - 3
Read 29 tweets
Oct 15, 2021
THREAD: One of joys of being an author is choosing chapter titles. I spend lots of time on them - they help shape a book’s character. Often I work them out literally on the back of an envelope (one of these was chosen). Here are the chapter titles in First Casualty, and why - 1 Image
Chap. 1 - ZERO HOUR. Book opens on 9/11, with members of @CIA’s Team Alpha in air, underwater, & on land. On 9/12, an Arabic conversation in Afghanistan that took place on 9/10 was translated by NSA - “tomorrow is zero hour” - 2 Image
Chap 2. - BLUE SKY. This is ref. to the Blue Sky Memo, drawn up at end of Clinton admin., outlying what was to become @CIA plan to pursue AQ in Afghanistan after 9/11. Is also a nod to the azure blue skies we saw on east coast on 9/11. Version by NSC later declassified - 3 Image
Read 24 tweets
Sep 26, 2021
THREAD: 20 years ago 9/26, the first Americans to infiltrate Afghanistan after 9/11 flew fm Tashkent via Dushanbe in an @CIA Mi-17 & landed in Panjshir Valley, which was controlled by Northern Alliance. Their codename was JAWBREAKER (First Casualty p. 53). Who were these men? - 1
There were initially seven men in JAWBREAKER (as time went on, the team had a shifting & expanding cast), led by Gary Schroen, an SIS-3 (Lt. Gen. equiv.) case officer, 59 & about to retire. A former Islamabad station chief, he’d worked with mujahideen agst. Soviets in 1980s - 2
JAWBREAKER (official name was NALT - Northern Alliance Liaison Team) deputy was Phil Reilly, a paramilitary officer & former Army SOF soldier destined for highest ranks of @CIA. He later became chief of Special Activities Division & London station chief - 3
Read 16 tweets
Sep 15, 2021
THREAD: 20 years ago today. From “First Casualty” p. 56. President George W. Bush articulated U.S. policy toward Afghanistan & the Taliban to two @CIA officers at Camp David: “Fuck diplomacy. We are going to war.” - 1
The two @CIA officers were Cofer Black & @MichaelJMorell, Bush’s PDB briefer. It was a Saturday & Bush had convened his war council. Half a world away, in Quetta. @CIA Islamabad station chief Bob Grenier was meeting with the Taliban’s Mullah Osmani (p. 55) - 2
A major subject four days after 9/11 was Iraq. Not a typo - IRAQ. Also at this Camp David meeting were VP Dick Cheney, Condoleezza Rice, Steve Hadley, Colin Powell, Rich Armitage, Don Rumsfeld & Paul Wolfowitz, John Ashcroft, FBI’s Robert Mueller, @ CIA director George Tenet - 3
Read 17 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(