Jay Willis Profile picture
Sep 12, 2021 9 tweets 2 min read Read on X
You guys think I should do a little book review, or what 😉
I kid you not, Stephen Breyer’s “the law isn’t political” book is 100 pages long and its list price is $19.95. I am in awe.
12 pages in and he just finished his summary of the undergrad Intro to Constitutional Law lecture on Marbury v. Madison and I want to die
I laughed out loud
[me sending back editor’s notes] AH HI STEVE YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO PROVE ASSERTIONS YOU MAKE IN HERE. THAT IS KIND OF THE WHOLE POINT. PLEASE STRIKE AND REFILE WITH SOMETHING YOU CAN PROVE THX
Perhaps I can help here: “Popular perception” is correct and you and other judges who think like you are not. Okay are we done yet [checks] holy shit I still have 49 pages to go???
Oh my god dude no way this can’t be real you can’t seriously think this
Here is a real sentence from Stephen Breyer’s book’s conclusion: “Of course, others have written at length about the social cost of too much time spent surfing the Internet, engaging in activities that separate you from public life.”
Fine, I'm going to do an actual review of this stupid book, because I love and appreciate all of you as much as I enjoy poisoning my brain by reading dumb things that I hate

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Jay Willis

Jay Willis Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @jaywillis

Sep 29, 2023
Fondly remembering my tenure as an unpaid intern in Dianne Feinstein’s office, when we were all like uhhh look I’m not a doctor but this person doesn’t seem like she’s in super great shape? To be one of 100 U.S. senators? Anyway this was 2010
Politicians are not your favorite athletes you root for on TV. They are stewards of power who are responsible for representing real people, and when they exercise that power carelessly, that’s as much a part of their legacy as anything they did in office. Sometimes even more so.
Confirming Biden’s judicial nominees has to be Senate Democrats’ top priority between now and the 2024 election. Feinstein’s death will make it a lot harder for them to do so. I don’t like it any of this any more than you do, but here we are. ballsandstrikes.org/law-politics/d…
Read 4 tweets
May 25, 2023
“Some say ‘wetlands’ are ‘waters’ because ‘water’ is ‘wet.’ However, this overlooks the critical distinction between ‘water’ and ‘waters,’” this is the stupidest shit I’ve ever read, do not let anyone ever tell you that law is real or coherent supremecourt.gov/opinions/22pdf… ImageImageImageImage
Wild how much of Alito’s reasoning for rewriting “waters” to mean something different boils down to “this is simply too expensive for landowners, in my view” Image
Alito’s principle concern in Sackett is not parsing the dictionary definition of “waters,” it’s his profound concern for the bottom lines of developers who are getting “crushed” by the weight of having to not poison your drinking water. The rest is just noise. Image
Read 5 tweets
May 24, 2023
Legacy Supreme Court reporters have spent decades doing their jobs all wrong. Fortunately for them, I wrote a little how-to guide for my pals at @Slate that should fix everything slate.com/news-and-polit…
I'll be talking with @ElieNYC and @Dahlialithwick and @mjs_DC about all this and lots more tonight in D.C., come through or at least come have a drink slate.com/live/amicus-li…
Read 4 tweets
May 12, 2023
The reason you know conservative media outlets don’t employ editors is that any editor is immediately returning this to the writer with a note that’s like “source??? you uhhh need evidence for statements like this and a little list of adjectives can’t do the work” Image
Obviously the ideas at the National Review are dogshit but don’t let that distract you from the fact that the writing at the National Review is dogshit, too
“Conservatives assert that originalism is coherent, defensible, and comprehensive. In fact, it is incoherent, indefensible, and dumb as shit,” there I just refuted this blog post’s argument in two sentences, guy is in shambles right now
Read 4 tweets
May 10, 2023
I love the Warriors and want them to win and am sad when they lose, and I am also very close to kinda just wanting this season’s team to be put out of its misery
The season started with the team’s emotional leader punching one of its best young players in the face and somehow the vibes have gotten WORSE since then??
We’ll always have Steph putting up 50 on the road in Game 7, that absolutely ruled, maybe we just end the movie there
Read 4 tweets
May 4, 2023
Simply incredible that Dick Durbin, literally the Chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee, keeps talking about Supreme Court corruption like he has as much power to do anything about it as I do
“Chief Justice Roberts must act,” sir what would you say it is that you “do” around here
This is MARGINALLY better in that it acknowledges the Senate’s agency, but again Durbin is making the same mistake Democrats have been making my entire adult life: treating Republicans as colleagues they can persuade, not as opponents they have to defeat
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(