Magdi Jacobs Profile picture
Sep 16, 2021 18 tweets 7 min read Read on X
In my new piece for @johnastoehr, I write about the most subtle & pernicious form of anti-vaxx propaganda: the manipulation of scientific information & the appropriation of scientific authority editorialboard.com/to-fight-vacci…
Case #1: Anti-vaxxers have latched onto a preprint wherein the authors report results suggesting "natural immunity" is more robust than vaccine-induced immunity. Anti-vaxxers are now arguing this scientific evidence entails it is *preferable* to become naturally immune
Conservatives have reported on "natural immunity" without stipulating all of the risks of contracting COVID. They are using natural immunity to argue against mandates, as well as to claim Democrats are the real enemies of science. Searches for "natural immunity" have sky-rocketed
"Natural immunity" has gotten a heavy boost from a Harvard Medical Professor. The professor fails to correct the anti-vaxxers in his mentions. And, when he has been challenged to be more cautious by other experts, some respond, "he's a Harvard scientist."
Case #2: anti-vaxxers have used scientific info about viral loads to argue that *all* vaccinated people are just as likely to be carrying infectious levels of virus as *all* unvaccinated people. They do not mention vaccinated people are less likely to be infected in the 1st place
This misinfo has found a happy home on conservative media; however, mainstream media also played a role here, albeit unintentionally. For example, this tweet & other headlines neglected to mention that the research pertained to vaccinated people *who had progressed to infection*
(Plz note: The CDC was fully justified in adopting increased caution in light of the viral load/spread research. However, this is different than the claim that science has proven all vaccinated people are equally likely to spread infectious levels of virus as unvaccinated people)
Why does all of this matter? It’s different to hear, “science says . . .” than it is to hear a rant about microchips. “Just asking questions” goes hand in hand with “science says” and “the science is complicated” to subtly undermine the urgency of mass vaccination.
This abuse of science also has particular power b/c it plays against a backdrop of low personal risk perception. Vaccine rates lag in younger people. Now, what happens when, as a young person, you perceive your risk as low, and then you hear about the power of natural immunity?
“Infectiousness of the vaccinated” has been specifically used to undercut public health messaging about protecting your community. What’s the point in getting vaccinated to protect those around you if you're just as infectious? Here's Tucker Carlson manipulating this information:
Now, you might say: “who cares? Unvaccinated people are all fanatics.” This isn’t true. Though many are extremists, there are still unvaccinated people who are hesitant or merely complacent. Extremism cannot account for the gap in vaccination rates between young & older people
Extremism also cannot account for the fact that only *25%* of pregnant women are vaccinated. This group was likely very influenced by a combination of low personal risk perception & fear-mongering about uterine changes & fertility.
Moving beyond unvaccinated adults, there is a looming new battle ahead of us: getting children vaccinated. Polling shows that even adults who are vaccinated themselves are not committed to vaccinating their children. This gap exists even for Democrats, tho it is less large.
So what happens when these parents, who have been told childhood risk from COVID infection is low, now hear about “natural immunity” or viral spread among vaccinated people? Will this make them more or less likely to vaccinate their children?
Conservatives are already seizing on this opportunity, going so far as to argue that, given natural immunity + “low childhood risk from COVID”, childhood vaccinations are evil.

Again, all with the veneer of scientific authority.
One final point: there are age gaps in vaccination for both Dems & Republicans. But, for Republicans, this gap is enormous. Here, again, we see the interplay of personal risk & anti-vaxxing info. Younger & older Republicans have the same bad info, but are behaving differently
You can read more here. And, if you appreciate my research, please consider supporting @johnastoehr and the Editorial Board! editorialboard.com/to-fight-vacci…
Here are the same data w/out goofy Y axis shenanigans

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Magdi Jacobs

Magdi Jacobs Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @magi_jay

May 7
@agraybee Gentile here. Have done a lot of reflection since 10/7. "It's not antisemitism it's antizionism" is officially a dead argument to me, coming from gentiles. Come back to me when you've stopped acting out your rage thru Protocol-of-Zion-level scapegoating.
@agraybee I am so done with this bullshit. How the fuck did fucking *Jews* become the scapegoats--yes the scapegoats--for the sins of the West? Like all the sins. Colonialism. Racism. All the rage: Direct it at Jews. Oopsie I mean ~Zionists.~ Or only ~Israeli Jews~. It's fucking bullshit.
@agraybee Oh, & while I'm here: Yes the Holocaust is fucking unique b/c it is in part the entirety of the history of Europe & the Middle East just culminating in the worst kind of thing a human could possibly contemplate. Oh, but if you bring THAT up. . . ~manipulation~. AHEM.
Read 4 tweets
May 6
I was reading @TimothyDSnyder's "Road to Unfreedom" a few weeks ago & came across this passage. His description of Russian Active Measures' influence on Western audiences in 2014 felt eerily familiar to many online conversations happening now. Ukraine in one case; I/P in another.
Western Media in 2014: "Those who spoke so freely of conspiracies, coups, juntas, camps, & genocides shied from contact w/ the real world. From a distance, they used their talents to drown a country in unreality; in so doing, they submerged their own countries & themselves . . ." Image
This really struck me: "Enormous amounts of time were wasted in Britain, the United States, and Europe in 2014 and 2015 on discussions about whether Ukraine existed and whether Russia had invaded it. That triumph of informational warfare was instructive for Russian leaders." Image
Read 6 tweets
May 3
Some people are frustrated w/ me bc I am critical of the campus protests. I'm not sure I understand. There have been many antisemitic incidents at these protests, across several sites. Such bigotry is deserving of strong criticism. It should be weeded out for the good of everyone
To be critical of the protesters is not the same as endorsing the Universities' responses or the Police's responses. I think this needs to be done on a case by case basis. I think we all need to be a bit more frank about how we balance Campus Speech vs. Bigotry.
I don't have the perfect answer. Neither do you. When it comes to Speech, there are always concessions to be made in one direction or another. We should have honest conversations about maintaining academic freedom while also minimizing hate. We're not having these conversations.
Read 14 tweets
May 2
Not to be an old fart, but one of the things that we had to do in 2003 was to learn how to cogently oppose Bush's Iraq War while also acknowledging that Saddam Hussein was a bad person who did bad things to civilians. We didn't lie about Hussain. We still opposed the war.
A very common form of pro-War argumentation--designed to disarm or persuade liberals--was that Hussain was a Monster. That he had gassed the Kurds. Did we argue these things were false? No. We argued, instead, that the true facts did not justify a violation of Iraq's Sovereignty.
Now, if Hussein had been intending to gas the Kurds at that moment in time, perhaps we should have intervened to save the Kurds. But that's not what was happening. But then, again, we knew he was repressive, so what was the threshold, exactly, for intervention?
Read 6 tweets
May 2
I attended a w/ a former U.S. Diplomat, this year. Very respected fellow. He spoke firmly throughout regarding the major foreign policy threat: The Global South. I said, at the end, I did not understand the common interest of what he referred to. He said, "Anti-Westernism."
I fear, given the land of bad entailments we now occupy, that I will be seen as championing Western ideals over the ideals of the "Global South," etc. That is not what I am doing. I am simply relaying the information & asking people to start paying attention.
Please note also that I am not referring to all of the citizens in all of the countries contained w/in the reference to "The Global South." I am referring to the construct, as the diplomat was. Start making reference to how this rather vague phrase is used in activist rhetoric.
Read 9 tweets
Apr 15
My primary concern is w/ the antisemitism. I am also increasingly concerned that people are not going to take social justice seriously anyone after all . . . this Image
It's up to the rest of us to continue to frame "social justice" in a humanitarian, pro-equality, non-zealous way. We are pro-civilian, pro-Truth, & anti-harm. This stuff is dangerous to its closest targets: Jews. It also risks making people tune out "justice" language in general
There's a term in linguistics for when a word's meaning becomes eroded--often less "intense" or precise--over time: "semantic bleaching." Something similar has happened, I believe, in online discourse over "indigenity." As well as how it's been erroneously connected to "justice."
Read 14 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(