The Spaceshipper 🚀 Profile picture
Sep 24, 2021 31 tweets 16 min read Read on X
[Thread] ISAAC ASIMOV'S #FOUNDATION (Sep 24, AppleTV +) REVIEW! (without spoilers)

Praised be the psychohistory: I enjoyed the first two-thirds of this season (I'll do an overall spoiler-free review later).

It's such a relief.

1/X
I would even say that my beloved sci-fi series of novels might join my favorite audiovisual space fiction works one day.

It is of course too early to tell. It's just the 1st season, with a whole universe to explain.

But it is possible, and I am the first to be surprised.
A quick note first for the eternal detractors of David S. Goyer (who also wrote The Dark Knight and Dark City): you are free to not watch the series, no need to repeat again and again under my tweets that you don't like him. XD

Please? <3
And for the Foundation novels fans like me: seeking literal adaptation of the books is a monumental mistake. If you like them, you know it. You can't expect this show to replicate every line, that would be complete nonsense. But it's up to you.

Free your mind and try it.
This series is extremely ambitious, narratively as well as visually. More than what you think.

The work done by the team of designers and the visual effects studios, @dneg in particular, is formidable. No complaints.

It's beautiful. Peak sci-fi.
@dneg They tried to don't make Star Wars or Trek again.

Because it was the trap: Foundation inspired many works that we love, and they had to be able to differentiate it from its heirs.
Overall it's successful, although sci-fi enthusiasts will regularly think of other known planets.
@dneg Production design: a master stroke.

From sets to costumes to ships to VFX, it's a home run, or almost.
@dneg Narratively, it was necessary to succeed in adapting a story deemed unsuitable for the screen.

Goyer and his team of writers did exactly what I hoped for: use the novels as a template, a skeleton, to write another Foundation. The same Foundation story, but the 2021 TV series.
@dneg The novels had a lot of exposure and off-frame events, which are shown here (show, don't tell) and which help to feed the story of characters who take on new dimensions.
@dneg Gaal Dornick (a great Lou Llobell) thus becomes our point-of-view character, ourintroduction to an immense and sprawling Empire which is however about to fall. A wise idea, and it guides us in this first season and this complex universe.

I love her.
@dneg Other characters take on thickness, and even humanity. Foundation was full of ideas but here the characters are the common thread. Some are invented from scratch, or almost, but bring real added value to the era.
@dneg I am thinking in particular of the Emperors (whose history is however very ... Asimov), who embody the challenges that Hari Seldon (masterful Jared Harris, as usual) must take up.

The less you know, the better.
@dneg By mixing the great ideas of the books with characters that we see evolve, the series has become a good (just good) adaptation, corresponding to its medium.

Time jumps also begin to show the scale of a story that will hopefully unfold over 8 seasons / 80 episodes. I hope, now.
@dneg For a first season of such an ambitious project, it's really an unexpected success.

I'm not saying it's perfect, especially in terms of pacing. Some storylines fall a little flat too. All the stories don't mix well.

It's not AMAZING. It's good - and better than I hoped, by far.
@dneg The qualities have overshadowed the flaws in my eyes, and I will have to revisit and look at the season with hindsight.

Still, it's only the 1st season. First seasons are always hard to do.
@dneg I have high hopes for Foundation. A successful second season will immediately put it next to my favorites like Star Wars, Trek, The Expanse or BSG.

The future of space fiction is on the move. Unless the end of the season is disappointing, but I will find out in a few hours. ;)
@dneg So far, that's a big thumbs up.

You can count on me for many ships threads and behind the scenes stuff, as usual. Maybe for a decade, who knows.

In any case, Apple TV + wanted its big saga capable of attracting subscribers, and it now has it.
@dneg Reminder; it's available on AppleTV+, a streaming service like Netflix/Prime/etc. (there is a free week)(there is FOR ALL MANKIND too, don't miss it dammit)

It begins with 2 episodes, then one episode weekly starting next week.
@dneg Hope it will work out, so that SW and Trek have some competition. Science fiction can be so many things!

For those who like numbers, my rating would be like 7.4589/10.

I need an art of/making of.

And I need to sleep, time to wake up in 4 hours. Cheers!
@dneg They liked it "but" ;)

variety.com/2021/tv/review…
@dneg Can't say they liked it lol

hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-reviews/…
@dneg They really don't liked it.
gizmodo.com/they-said-foun…
@dneg I really agree with:
"It's easy to imagine a tighter season, a more disciplined structure, that tightens the water-treading. It's ironic that the core storyline is the one that sometimes drags, while the subplots and asides are the ones that resonate."
slashfilm.com/614615/foundat…
@dneg Like I said It's not perfect. There is a lot to learn. But as a start, it's better than I hoped.

They liked it:
mashable.com/article/founda…
@dneg Oh well, a last one.
cnet.com/news/foundatio…
@dneg I read myself again and I find myself a little enthusiastic. Because the series deserves it, for a first season of an adaptation of an infilmable novel.
I enjoyed what I saw, but they'll have to learn from mistakes to join my favorites. It's a good start, better than I expected.
“Foundation is more consistent than Raised by Wolves, but less magnetic because of its concessions to sci-fi expectations. It could have been better, if only, like Hari Seldon’s disciples, it had faith in the plan."

nytimes.com/2021/09/23/art…
"It’s by chasing a more high-concept Star Trek feel that Foundation takes liberties with the source material that might turn off long time fans of the book. But these changes really work to make an engrossing work of science fiction for television."

denofgeek.com/tv/foundation-…

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with The Spaceshipper 🚀

The Spaceshipper 🚀 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @TheSpaceshipper

Sep 18
What would Battlestar Galactica (2003) look like if it were launched today?

Showrunner @RonDMoore : “I would still try to approach it with the same attitude that I had when I approached the original, which was I wanted to preserve the framework of what the original was." 1/4 Image
"I want it to be recognizable as Battlestar Galactica. It’s still a warship and an aircraft carrier in space, guiding a ragtag civilian fleet running from the Cylons after an apocalyptic attack. It’s about their society. What are the pieces of their civilization they..." 2/4 Image
"...chose to carry with them? What’s important to them? What does it mean to be a democracy? Then I would have to get down into the weeds and then it would be different because it would have to be informed by the last 20 years of what we have gone through." 3/4 Image
Read 4 tweets
Sep 15
It's not for nothing that I treasure my archives on several hard drives. At least I know what I've collected is true.

It's all about avoiding inadvertently sharing art by Ralph McQuarrIA.
But the future of the Internet promises to be a gigantic lie rather than the finest library in the galaxy, and it's sadly a tragedy worthy of a great sci-fi novel.
Cherish your old (art)books. Protect your bookshelves.
Read 7 tweets
Aug 26
[Thread] So I've been playing #StarWarsOutlaws since last Wednesday. I managed to play it for 15 hours (despite a wedding this weekend 😅).

I quickly realized that this game is MUCH more massive than I thought, and I'm still far from measuring the scope of this game.

I'll give you my first impressions in this thread.
First you have to know where I come from. I loved open worlds in the 2000s, but after the incredible Black Flag I lost the desire to devote dozens of hours to a single game. Since then, I've only played Mad Max and Red Dead Redemption 2 this winter.

Suffice to say, I started Outlaws from a very high starting point!
Unsurprisingly, Outlaws is no RDR2 masterpiece. I wasn't asking for so much. I was asking for fun. I was asking for Star Wars.

Given that, after 15 hours (which is already my ideal length for a game lol), I'm dying to get back to Kay & Nix for a heist, that's a pretty good sign.😌
Read 36 tweets
Aug 15
[Thread] You've seen or are about to see Alien Romulus, and you want to take this opportunity to revisit the history of sci-fi. 👋

Here are some of the films that inspired the writers of the 1979 film... #AlienMonth

1/18
You should start with Dark Star (1974).

In this film co-written by Alien (1979) co-writer Dan O'Bannon (where he also appears↙️), one of the story beats should ring a bell.

Alien would never have existed without Dark Star.

2/18

Beyond Alien, Dark Star is a milestone in the history of science fiction, as it launched Carpenter's career, which is no mean feat! The film was not a success, but Carpenter went on to make Assault on Precinct 13 (1976). The rest is history.🤗

3/18
Read 21 tweets
Jul 28
With two weeks to go before the release of Alien Romulus, I'm starting my Alien rewatch.

And for the first time, I'm starting in the chronological order of this universe.

Welcome to 2093, on LV-223. Image
Iceland, I love you.

Love this shot.

(Ha yes, I don't know if I'll make the live tweet last, but the idea is to highlight stuff I like. I'm not in the habit of wasting my time on stuff I don't like 😌) Image
Read 47 tweets
May 6
Please note that Star Trek Prodigy did not invent the concept of "lost kids on a spaceship".

There was The Astronauts (2020). There was Space Cases (1996), with Firefly's Jewel Staite (ans appearances of George Takei & Mark Hamill). There was SpaceCamp (1986).

And these are the ones that come to me from memory, without looking at my notes. There must be other stories, including lots of novels.

Because it's a solid basis for a story in space. What's important is how it's told.

We're building on what's gone before, and.... Image
...that's a good thing.

SpaceCamp, Space Cases, The Astronauts and Prodigy are distinct, and Skeleton Crew probably will be.

Plus, I don't understand why it seems like we learned about it yesterday when we've known about the synopsis for 2 years.

Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(