Kurt Phillips🧛‍♂️ Profile picture
Sep 25, 2021 38 tweets 12 min read Read on X
As the election unfolded and it became increasingly apparent that the Liberals would win a third mandate (and second minority) the online rhetoric turned inevitably to claiming the election was rigged. 1/
In fact the claim the election had been rigged preceded this election and had already been retconned to explain the Liberal win in 2019 and the majority it won in 2015. 2/
The "rigged election" mantra existed before in these circles but really took off in Canada in large part to the "Big Lie" that Donald Trump was cheated out the win in the 2020 presidential race. 3/
Canadians who accept Trump's "Big Lie" also embrace the belief that the same dark forces who opposed Trump are also at work in this country. 4/
For example, despite using paper ballots in every federal election, Dominion Voting machines have been claimed to have changed votes in this country. 5/
It also shouldn't be surprising that other populist authoritarians are going down this route as well. 6/

cnn.com/2021/08/06/ame…
It is then perhaps ironic that while the far-right continue to embrace the "Big Lie", it continues to be shown to be what it is. A lie.

The truth however continues to be denied. 7/

thehill.com/homenews/campa…
The phenomenon is of course worrisome for a variety of reasons, not the least being the danger that people who believe that unless their favoured candidate wins that the election is invalid thus damaging the very concept of democracy. 8/
And if democracy isn't a viable means to enact change, then the alternative is one where violence is perceived as being the only solution.

Which brings us now to Pat King. 9/
10/
On the night of the election when the media called the election for the Liberals, King did a livestream where he claimed that they new the election would be fixed. 11/
12/
The rationale is very much rooted in the Trump "Big Lie." 13/
More than embracing the big lie however is King's rather ominous pronouncements. 14/
"I'm asking for forgiveness for the things that I have to do." 15/
"We have been at this battle for a long time and I know what's coming and I know where we are about to go." 16/
"I'm about to do something tomorrow... that will hopefully put a stall or at least slow down what's about to come." 17/
What that "something" he planned to do was likely alluded to in these two clips. 18/
Something something CIA flag. 19/
He claims that he has to "drop something off" before returning to Alberta. 20/
Later, and though I haven't confirmed this, Chris Saccoccia's surety posted a video suggesting King had "filed papers" to make Alberta an independent country which isn't really a thing an unemployed grifter can do. 21/
FYI, being called a grifter seems to get under Pat's skin.

I'm sure that he is "done!" Like, "in all honesty!" and "100%!" 22/
The remainder of the video is a wink and a nod to armed insurrection.

And I mean that literally. 23/
Be sure to use codes. 24/
"Go hunting." 25/
He urges supporters to build an underground network... then realized that saying "build an underground" isn't really all that coded. 26/
They have a plan. They have always had a plan apparently.

While I'm not sure that is actually true, Pat does continue to go down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole. 27/
Pat implies, as he often does, that he is FAR more important than he actually is.

Given how insignificant most of these people are, it shouldn't be a surprise that Pat has convinced himself he is a central figure in a great struggle.

That belief makes him feel important. 28/
Yeah Pat, I'm not sure I would trust your heart OR your brain at this point. 29/
The next day King continued down the rabbit hole of conspiracy-based paranoia. Now he is asking for military movements because he has heard of military movements around military bases which, well, doesn't seem especially uncommon. 30/
31/
32/
Most alarming however is that Pat us urging his supporters to "monitor" hospitals suggesting that nefarious activities are occurring with in, evidence of which will come to light IF the nurses tell the truth. 33/
Finally, Pat thinks that Premier @jkenney will "pencil" Pat in for a meeting because Pat has documents to deliver to him and a message from "a friend." 34/
I'll address this "friend" in a later thread, but suffice it to say King is absolutely convinced that he has solved some sort of Gordian Knot. 35/
And he is really resentful and pouty when challenged as per usual. 36/
So, yes, we can laugh at Pat and his sense of self-importance. However we also have to recognize the dangers posed by people like King who have been in large part radicalized by unfiltered conspiracy woo on social media. 37/
cbc.ca/news/politics/…

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Kurt Phillips🧛‍♂️

Kurt Phillips🧛‍♂️ Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @ARCCollective

Aug 8
1. By now I'm guessing that most of my Twitter followers are aware of the most recent threats against Trudeau and the subsequent of a suspect. I think there is an even more important story though related to the poisonous influence of social media

toronto.ctvnews.ca/rcmp-arrest-ma…
2. Dawid Zalewski was arrested for making death threats against the Prime Minister. The following video was posted to his second Facebook profile. Be warned that it may be triggering as it promotes graphic violence against the PM and others.
3. Zalewski is clearly not well, but I think would be wrong to dismissively call him "crazy" move on without further examination. There is a reason why he got to this point and I believe we can learn a great deal from his social media footprint.
Read 36 tweets
Aug 2
1. I’ve been enjoying my summer break and have not been paying a lick of attention to the Olympics. Until today however since Twitter has collectively lost the plot.
2. Earlier boxer Imane Khelif defeated her Italian opponent in the first round when Angela Carini quit after 45 seconds stating that she had never been hit so hard.

To be fair, I don’t enjoy being punched in the face either so I can at least sympathize with Carini.
3. Now a preliminary fight would never be important enough to make international news under normal circumstances however we are, as the saying goes, living in interesting times.
Read 39 tweets
Jul 25
1. Given what is happening in Jasper, these all seem to be especially relevant.

pressprogress.ca/albertas-ucp-g…
Read 8 tweets
Jun 25
1. Stephen Yaxley-Lennon (aka Tommy Robinson) was arrested in Calgary on an immigration warrant apparently. He may have since been released, though he has to turn in his passport and remain in southern Alberta.

I'd prefer that he be kicked out immediately.
2. Despite claiming to have been a "political prisoner" many of Yaxley-Lennon's criminal convictions his Islamophobic "activism" and a number of convictions since have had nothing to do with his political views.
3. In 2005, he was convicted assaulting a police officer who intervened during an argument Yaxley-Lennon was having with his then girlfriend.
Read 12 tweets
May 15
1/ It's been a while since I've done a thread here, but the recent focus on Pat King got me to wondering what was up with his own Salacious Crumb, Tyson "Freedom George" Billings.

cbc.ca/news/canada/ot…
2/ Last time I looked at Billings he was a part of the efforts to set up a permenant camp outside Ottawa so there could be daily protests, though the original plan involved surrounding the police and arresting politicians.

Suffice to say it didn't go anywhere.
3/ Billings and Ron Clark soon headed home, but they both soon got involved in other protests including the anti-carbon tax protests occurring in the province. The numbers at these events have been small but that hasn't stopped from politicians from courting the fringes it seems. Image
Read 37 tweets
Mar 26
1/ Though I'm not especially active these days, I'm still sometimes gobsmacked by some of the ridiculous (though sadly effective) rage farming by some on the right. Harrison Faulkner of "True North" is just a recent example of that. Image
2/ So a bit of background. Musical artist Karan Aujla won the 2024 TikTok Juno Fan Choice Award at the award ceremony this past weekend.

I think it was this weekend. Truth be told I don't pay a lot of attention to awards shows.

3/ It should be noted that Aujla has been in Canada for years emigrating as an orphan. He graduated from high school in Canada. The album was produced by a Canadian on a Canadian label.

He has made his home here.
Read 23 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(