GeePaw Hill Profile picture
Sep 25, 2021 14 tweets 5 min read Read on X
Okay, gonna play some ONI Spaced Out. This is the variant where the starting world is still fairly large. Seed V-SNDST-C-68286727-0

Dunno how long I'll go, but what the hell, it's been quite a while. :) The starting biome of a game of Oxygen Not Included.
Plenty of water, and the temperate biome seems reasonably wide. I'm thinking of a central 16-column with two wider wings on either side, ultimate census 24. And away we go!
First stop, the starter bathroom, cuz some things never change. Once that's complete, I'll bounce to the west of it and toss in my generator and get some research going.
Now what? Good lord, I've forgotten how to play. Oh, yes. Research the planters, then the battery, then get the mealwood going and start working on getting all that water out of the damned way.
Okay, threw around some planters, made the tentative decision to develop the right side first. Digging wayyyyyy down to figure out what to do with the reservoir. There's even *more* water way down there. That's a lot of water.
Okay, well I guess this is the plan. Dig way deep and dump all 5 pools there. This is gonna take a while. Not thrilling, but working around that many pools is a no-go for me, and at least it'll be out of the way.
Okay, it's c12, and as you can see the reservoir's coming along but still ain't ready. Meanwhile, added the advanced research, the microbe musher, and started on making that computer room a rec room. My play feels really slow.
*Finally*. I'll drain the rest of these pools here in a minute. But at least now I feel like I can get to work designing my damned base. Food supplies are really low, that's gonna be a first priority. But something I learned from lifegrow, there's a *lot* of food in the starter.
c20, beds finally gonna go in, which feels really late, and the basic water supply for research & cooking will be up soon. Next stop, gotta do some internal base work to keep morale going. All we have now is the rec room and latrine. Need great hall & barracks, then bathroom.
Continuing on, here's c31. It's going okay, but I'm kinda grumpy. I don't *like* big bases. I always feel I have way too much dead space.
Current plans. Obviously, the bathroom loop is going in now, and I'm digging out the space west of the reservoir, thinking to grow shrooms there. Very soon, it's time to get the hell out into the world.
Okay, it's c36, dint play much today, bathroom loop is operational, please help me remember to check the reservoir from time to time so I come up with some answer when it's close to full. Shroom farm going in. It is time for coal, and then we break out into the world.
I'm gonna plant a couple of coal generators and transformers off to the left of the shrooms. Assuming I'll wind up needing insulation there anyway, cuz that blue off on the left is a damned cool steam vent. Gotta get that bricked up at first opportunity.
(So, @ AltTxtReminder is really cool. It dm's you when you post an image w/o. What should I do about alt-texting these dumb game screenshots? Couldn't reasonably describe them, I think, and not sure anyone would care. But I'm open to doing better, if someone overcalls me.)

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with GeePaw Hill

GeePaw Hill Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @GeePawHill

Nov 19, 2022
In today's episode of Stupid Geek Tricks, I just basically invented Smalltalk using Kotlin.

Before you get angry, please know that I don't approve of this. I don't approve of a lotta shit I do.
120 lines of code. A marker interface for messages, a one-API interface for objects. Any class can handle any message it chooses to. Didn't bother with doesNotUnderstand, but it'd be an easy add.

gist.github.com/GeePawHill/2d7…
Conceptually, it's straightforward: the Interactor wraps a Thing to give it a jump table that switches on the message subclass. It calls the Thing's register() to fill out that jump table. Any given Thing class can register any given Message+Handler pair.
Read 31 tweets
Nov 18, 2022
What is my favorite 20th c song from Broadway?

Oh my gosh, I'm so glad you asked.

[Editor's note: Nobody asxked this. No one. Not one. Nobody asked this.]
Well, of course, it's "At The Ballet" from _A Chorus Line_.

I grew up on stage, community and then semi-pro theatre. I worked 4-8 production a year from the time I was 7 until about 20 years old.

In *Kansas*, yo, in Kansas.
Read 13 tweets
Nov 18, 2022
Anyway, all and sundry, "geepawhill" is not a common moniker. Find me that way. I'm on mastodon, but I also have a whole website, geepawhill.org.
Backstory: "geepaw" means "grandfather", and now, to look at me, it seems obvious. Of *course* this bitter old fucker is a grandfather, just look at him. But "GeePaw" is actually a name I've had for over 30 years.
See, my wife is a little older than me, and when we first got to the bouncy-bouncy, her kids were already almost grown. I was present in the hospital room when my grandson was born. (It was gross.) And I became a grandfather at the ripe old age of 31.
Read 9 tweets
Nov 16, 2022
Please, I'm sorry, please, remember through all this Elon-is-evil-and-stupid shit, remember, please, I'm sorry, please.

This ass-clown *bought* this place where you made community, he didn't steal it. And he *bought* it from the people who sold it to him.
Baby, you were so sure you were the customer, all along, and so mad to discover you were product, all along.
*Fucking* mastodon. There's servers. There's CW's, and bitchy people on your server telling you to CW your random rage-tweets. There's no funded algo stuffing your timeline, just your server's locals and your follows and their follows.
Read 6 tweets
Nov 16, 2022
Jussi Bjorling, "Nessun Dorma".

I once did a bake-off. It was in the early days with spotify, and spotify is the king-hell site for bake-offs. Type in "nessun dorma" and get 500 takes.

So I listened to maybe 200 or so, and I put together a CD of about 20 of them.
And one night -- yes there were substances involved -- I played it for my wife, and we listened to all 20 takes, and we chose our top 3. No commentary. We just listened, and chose our favorites.
Read 6 tweets
Nov 16, 2022
Bob Marley & The Wailers, "Redemption Song". vimeo.com/390484832
Late at night, when no one's around, or they're all abed, or I'm drunk and I don't care, I sing this to the trees outside my house.
My range is very narrow, and it straddles right there, alto and tenor, and I'm old, a practioner of many vices, across many decades. But I sing it, and it fits in my range, and singing it makes me feel good.
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(