Dr Penny Goodman Profile picture
Sep 30, 2021 9 tweets 3 min read Read on X
A few thoughts about the Nero exhibition, then. Overall I think it's better than the catalogue made me expect, with some nice design and layout decisions and great artefacts. But the source material sure sets up a problem which I don't think any exhibition on Nero can escape.
This is the opening question of the exhibition, right by the ticket desk before any artefacts. It gets to the nub of the issue - Nero's reputation as a 'bad emperor'. Any scholar will want to point out that the sources painting that picture clearly have a hostile agenda.
But because the 'good emperor, bad emperor' dichotomy is so strong, if you say the sources painting Nero as a monster are biased, it sounds like you're saying he was good after all. This is the closing Q of the exhibition, which shows it is literally framed by that dichotomy.
Because it's so baked into our sources, I don't think it can be escaped. Instead, you have to start from what 'everyone knows' about Nero - the cruelty and lust, the fiddling while Rome burnt. And so this exhibition does, with this reconstructed Baroque bust and Peter Ustinov.
One thing the exhibition tries to do is show him in context, as a product of a system. This is him as a child, with ghostly-looking statues of other Julio-Claudians seen through a curtain behind him. Because the exhibition focuses on Nero, though, it generates a sort of paradox.
This came across more in the catalogue than the exhibition, but putting Nero in context can end up sounding like you are saying, "Exen if he did these bad things, he was no worse than the rest." I feel a better approach would be a thematic exhibition on the principate as a whole.
That's the only real way to get out of the question of whether one particular emperor was 'good' or 'bad'. And there are so many great themes which could be used! E.g. succession and legitimacy, emperors seen from the provinces, imperial palaces (that's one's Mary Beard's idea).
(I should say, this is an unfinished thread as we've now been ushered back into the exhibition for the workshop bit. I've got lots of very complimentary things to say about the design and layout, as yet unwritten!)
Just adding this link to my later comments after our discussion workshop here, so I have one single thread I can link to elsewhere.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Dr Penny Goodman

Dr Penny Goodman Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @pjgoodman

Jan 14, 2022
Got my booze, got my snacks, I'm ready for the #CellarClub! I've seen this film twice before. The 1st time, I expected too much and was disappointed; the 2nd time I set my expectations at rock bottom and realised it had its merits. 3rd time for the happy medium? #TheFilmCrowd
See, these opening shots are fab! Monkey to Lee establishes fears about evolution, degeneracy, the beast within. Two-headed child in the jar establishes split personalities. There is plenty of thought and detail here. Just somehow less than the sum of its parts. #TheFilmCrowd
Then this conversation in the gentleman's club makes what the visuals were hinting at fully explicit, right down to a direct reference to Freud! #CellarClub #TheFilmCrowd
Read 21 tweets
Oct 1, 2021
Ahhhh.... Home, wine, The Devil Rides Out on the telly, and I see I'm just in time to catch my favourite line: "He didn't stay long, did he?" #thefilmcrowd #hammerhorror
Richard Eaton must be like the Duc de Richelieu in having so many cars they're neither here nor there to him. That one Rex just crashed into a ditch is never seen or mentioned again for the rest of the film. #TheFilmCrowd
I would so have loved to be an extra in this Satanic orgy scene! It looks like massive fun. James Bernard's driving, urgent music absolutely makes it. #TheFilmCrowd
Read 11 tweets
Sep 30, 2021
The discussion about this exhibition which I came down to take part in is finished now, ending very congenially over wine in the Great Court cafe. It was a new kind of event, put together by @wmarybeard in her role as trustee, bringing academics and museum curators into dialogue.
They wanted to know what we had got out of the exhibition, what an exhibition can do for us as academics, and we wanted to know about the decision-making process, the logistics shaping how it was put together, etc. I think both sides got a lot out of it.
Personally, I spend a lot of time trying to 'read' exhibitions about Augustus, mostly mounted by the long-dead, so it was fascinating to hear from a modern equivalent. E.g. they had to reduce all text in this exhibition by 20% to prevent people lingering too long due to COVID.
Read 23 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(