Magdi Jacobs Profile picture
Oct 4, 2021 9 tweets 5 min read Read on X
For @damemagazine, I interviewed people in journalism/media criticism about how the press covers different current events, from Afghanistan, to covid, to climate change, & the insurrection. Here are a few quotes that are salient this week. . . . damemagazine.com/2021/09/27/wha…
Greg Sargent, on attacks on American democracy: "This gets to the essence of one of the big problems here. That flagrantly anti-democratic combat is sometimes treated as sort of partisan warfare as usual. And it really isn’t that. . . ." damemagazine.com/2021/09/27/wha…
Sargent, continued: ". . . I think a lot of Americans are really being treated to a kind of mode of coverage that obscures this very profound imbalance between the two parties on really the fundamentals of democracy." damemagazine.com/2021/09/27/wha…
.@drvolts on climate: "We know the number of people who are going to suffer is unfathomable. We know, objectively, the consequences are going to be horrific. . .And I ask you, why, given those circumstances, which are so clear, why isn’t the media upset?" damemagazine.com/2021/09/27/wha…
.@beyerstein on Covid: "There are people who are doing the right thing and people who are doing the wrong thing. Officials who have abandoned their people & officials who are serving their people. I don’t get that narrative consistently from the coverage" damemagazine.com/2021/09/27/wha…
I don't want to overly editorialize, but one general impression I came away w/ was this: there is a strong desire for reporting on current events to contain "a sense of urgency, a willingness to assign responsibility to political leaders, and a strong focus on human welfare. . ."
Comparing Afghanistan coverage to coverage of other events is a very sensitive task. I think such an exploration can lead to insight about journalism, but I also want to be clear: no one I spoke to minimized the dire humanitarian crisis in Afghanistan. damemagazine.com/2021/09/27/wha…
Indeed, many pointed to the passionate humanitarian focus as a real strength of the coverage of Afghanistan. Which is why, again, I came away with the impression that perhaps there is a desire for coverage of other events to convey human agents & human victims w/ greater urgency
I came back to all of this today because of reporting on the debt ceiling. Republicans are *objectively* putting our entire economy at risk. They are also *objectively* hypocritical. Further, their motivations for this potentially catastrophic behavior have been left unclear.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Magdi Jacobs

Magdi Jacobs Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @magi_jay

Aug 31
This video should make it abundantly clear that JD Vance would ban IVF, if given the chance. It makes it clear that he has a detailed ideology that IVF violates, just as much as abortion does. Women should be impregnated when they are under the age of 35. Others put to pasture.
No, I am not saying that *only* women over the age of 35 receive or require IVF. I'm describing how Vance views the process. He describes, in detail, how women who can't have children have delayed too long. To Vance, we made bad choices. We should be punished, not rewarded w/ IVF
JD Vance not only wants to take away every choice we have, as women, he wants to punish us for these choices. If you are a liberal woman who delayed pregnancy for your career, you should be denied IVF. Just as a younger woman seeking an abortion should be forced to give birth.
Read 11 tweets
Aug 29
I could be wrong, but I'm sensing a possible shift: From the Arlington scandal to Trump's social media content, the press appears to be actually reporting on Trump's malfeasance for the first time in a very long time. Why? My guess is that Democrats have deprived them of content.
Another possible, & more generous, explanation is that the media is actually listening to evidence-based criticism. As all things are, this media shift, if it continues, is likely multiply determined, but I really do think a driving factor is Dem discipline on social media.
There's a couple of things to untangle, here.

First of all, there's the fact that the media, and we, both as human beings and media consumers, are all subject to negativity bias. The media is drawn to reporting negative things; we are drawn to discussing negative things. This is an old & well-documented dynamic.

Then, you add social media on top of that, which we know, from research, not only functions on negativity, but also *amplifies* negativity. We divide ourselves into groups and then we get a dopamine fix from one-up-manship, within-group-confirmation or even praise, &, of course, the artfulness of our negative attacks on other groups.

That's just the reality of journalism, social media, and, ultimately, how individuals respond to information and interact with one another. . . . .
Read 12 tweets
Aug 28
Something to put on everyone's radar, including Democrats campaigning in swing states: Schools in Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, & Ohio are having to close this week due to excessive heat. These schools didn't need air conditioning before; now they're over-heating.

This is a crisis that families in several states are facing. I'll give the example of Pittsburgh, where I live with my two stepchildren. Older child went to the 1st day of school on Monday. We then found out school would be let out early today, due to excessive heat.
37 schools across the PBurgh Metro area are closed today. The districts' relatively new rule is this: If the temp exceeds 85 degrees, non-air-conditioned schools must close. The first day of Kindergarten for my younger stepchild is supposed to be tomorrow. Here's the forecast: Image
Read 9 tweets
Aug 22
Republican men do not think Ella Emhoff is ugly; they think she is attractive. They simultaneously see that she lives her life & her identity without any reference to their opinions. This is how they always are w/ liberal/leftist women. In a constant state of raging blue balls.
I don't know if I would have seen this so clearly if I hadn't spent so much time in rural PA. The conservative men there: I've never felt a kind of hatred like that. The hatred of a men who find me attractive, but otherwise hated me. There was a powerlessness beneath their hatred
I'm not even saying I'm a particularly attractive woman. It's just that. . . .I did experience this. They saw me, they checked me out, they thought I was an "other," they thought I was attractive, they saw I didn't care for them or have respect for them, & they hated me for it.
Read 5 tweets
Aug 9
I have never felt anything so deeply in my bones as I do this. We're done. That doesn't mean we're done caring about issues, whether it's universal healthcare or M.E. conflict; rather, we're done being bullied & misrepresented. We're done letting that dynamic hurt good causes all while Fascism is rising.
Not agreeing w/ your tactics does not mean we don't agree w/ the ostensible cause. Let's be clear about that. You want to discuss the best tactics to bring about public awareness to a give cause you're passionate about? Let's discuss those tactics.
Don't confuse disagreement about tactics w/ disagreement or lack of caring about a cause, ok? Let's be frank about this. If you insist that agreement on a tactic is necessary for agreement about a cause, you're a bad community organizer. That's just. . . true.
Read 18 tweets
Aug 9
I think there are many things going on with Trump. I also think it's revealing that very few of us have considered that one factor (among many factors) might be trauma from being shot at. The press hasn't considered it. I didn't consider it until yesterday. I'm not advocating for sympathy for the man. I'm pointing out something about the press's default-beliefs about Trump.

The press is likely somewhat driven by "He's so Big and Invincible" bias. There's something else here too: an implicit, unexamined recognition that Trump is a monster. A psychopath. Psychopaths can be "traumatized" by near-death experiences just like the rest of us. Psychopaths want to live; Psychopaths don't like being shot at. But the rest of us are not moved to imagine their trauma. To sympathize with it. To empathize with it.

I'm certainly not arguing for us to change our emotional response. Trump deserves neither our sympathy or our empathy precisely because he is an abusive monster.
But I think it's of genuine interest that the press seems to have defaulted to the idea that an attempted assassination wouldn't affect the man, either because he is All Powerful or because they have accepted he is soulless.

In any case, Trump's campaigning behavior is genuinely bizarre. The press should consider figuring out why. The first step might be to examine their own examined beliefs about Who Donald Trump Is. Why have they not asked how his psychological recovery is going? They did this with Fetterman post-stroke. What is it about the press's beliefs about Who Trump Is that removes such questions from the realm of their interest?

Perhaps Trump is too traumatized to campaign. The press would ask this about any other person who was shot at & then disappeared. They don't ask it about Trump. Why?
To be abundantly clear: I do not care how Trump is feeling. I do care that the press seems to treat him differently than all other politicians. I do care that a lot of this differential "treatment" seems to stem from 1. normalization of just how monstrous the man is & 2. acceptance of his I'm All Powerful fascistic message.
The press does this *a lot*. They asked questions for years about whether he was a racist. They don't ask those questions anymore because they decided the answer was "yes." But it was an implicit, unexamined decision. They neglected to tell the rest of us they had made it. They do not write, "Donald Trump, who is a known racist, said. . . " They've just stopped talking about his racism entirely.
Read 6 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(