Magdi Jacobs Profile picture
Oct 4, 2021 9 tweets 5 min read Read on X
For @damemagazine, I interviewed people in journalism/media criticism about how the press covers different current events, from Afghanistan, to covid, to climate change, & the insurrection. Here are a few quotes that are salient this week. . . . damemagazine.com/2021/09/27/wha…
Greg Sargent, on attacks on American democracy: "This gets to the essence of one of the big problems here. That flagrantly anti-democratic combat is sometimes treated as sort of partisan warfare as usual. And it really isn’t that. . . ." damemagazine.com/2021/09/27/wha…
Sargent, continued: ". . . I think a lot of Americans are really being treated to a kind of mode of coverage that obscures this very profound imbalance between the two parties on really the fundamentals of democracy." damemagazine.com/2021/09/27/wha…
.@drvolts on climate: "We know the number of people who are going to suffer is unfathomable. We know, objectively, the consequences are going to be horrific. . .And I ask you, why, given those circumstances, which are so clear, why isn’t the media upset?" damemagazine.com/2021/09/27/wha…
.@beyerstein on Covid: "There are people who are doing the right thing and people who are doing the wrong thing. Officials who have abandoned their people & officials who are serving their people. I don’t get that narrative consistently from the coverage" damemagazine.com/2021/09/27/wha…
I don't want to overly editorialize, but one general impression I came away w/ was this: there is a strong desire for reporting on current events to contain "a sense of urgency, a willingness to assign responsibility to political leaders, and a strong focus on human welfare. . ."
Comparing Afghanistan coverage to coverage of other events is a very sensitive task. I think such an exploration can lead to insight about journalism, but I also want to be clear: no one I spoke to minimized the dire humanitarian crisis in Afghanistan. damemagazine.com/2021/09/27/wha…
Indeed, many pointed to the passionate humanitarian focus as a real strength of the coverage of Afghanistan. Which is why, again, I came away with the impression that perhaps there is a desire for coverage of other events to convey human agents & human victims w/ greater urgency
I came back to all of this today because of reporting on the debt ceiling. Republicans are *objectively* putting our entire economy at risk. They are also *objectively* hypocritical. Further, their motivations for this potentially catastrophic behavior have been left unclear.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Magdi Jacobs

Magdi Jacobs Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @magi_jay

Jun 4
The scientific consensus is that COVID19 is of zoonotic origin. We should ask why the @nytimes presents us w/ non-scientific arguments that run against this consensus, just as Fauci testifies in front of a clan of Republican witch-hunters in Congress. Image
The false equivalency of the press has gone on for so long that we seem to have almost exhausted our ability to respond to it. Whether it's the Republican party vs. The Democratic Party or, in this case, The Scientific Consensus vs. The Unfounded Conspiracy Theory.
Why are Republicans in Congress witch-hunting Fauci? Why do Republicans even care about the origins of COVID? What are their goals, here? Those are questions we should answer. We should then move on to ask questions about how the American press advances these Republican goals.
Read 5 tweets
May 23
I have been frequently mistaken for being Jewish—or even *accused* of being Jewish—throughout my life. This suggests that gentiles most certainly do have a 1)“Looks like a Jewish person” category in their brains & that 2) This category matters enough for them to comment on it.
I always hesitate to talk about these experiences b/c I fear claiming Jewish trauma as my own. I hope my Jewish friends will correct me if I unintentionally do this. I am not claiming trauma. My only aim here is to offer testimony, as a witness, to the totality of the evidence.
France: I was constantly asked if I was Jewish. I don't remember much overt antisemitism, but I was also pretty unaware, as well as confused by the constant focus on the "oddity" of my physical appearance. I was told I looked Jewish; Also that I looked uncategorizable/different.
Read 22 tweets
May 12
This is pretty key. Even if you supported Israeli's "right to war" on 10/7, that's different than supporting *this specific war* or a specific action w/in this war, such as the Rafah operation. In terms of this specific war, it's been strategically terrible w/ a high cost of life
It should have chilled everyone to their core when we learned that the Israeli military had abandoned strategic points, allowing Hamas to pop right back up again. I haven't seen any compelling arguments that Hamas can now be destroyed. Or that Netanyahu has a strategic end goal.
If you have heard compelling arguments, I'd love to hear them. Part of the awful part of this current discourse is that we can't have conversations about the costs/proposed benefits of a given military operation w/out being accused of being moral monsters.
Read 18 tweets
May 7
@agraybee Gentile here. Have done a lot of reflection since 10/7. "It's not antisemitism it's antizionism" is officially a dead argument to me, coming from gentiles. Come back to me when you've stopped acting out your rage thru Protocol-of-Zion-level scapegoating.
@agraybee I am so done with this bullshit. How the fuck did fucking *Jews* become the scapegoats--yes the scapegoats--for the sins of the West? Like all the sins. Colonialism. Racism. All the rage: Direct it at Jews. Oopsie I mean ~Zionists.~ Or only ~Israeli Jews~. It's fucking bullshit.
@agraybee Oh, & while I'm here: Yes the Holocaust is fucking unique b/c it is in part the entirety of the history of Europe & the Middle East just culminating in the worst kind of thing a human could possibly contemplate. Oh, but if you bring THAT up. . . ~manipulation~. AHEM.
Read 4 tweets
May 6
I was reading @TimothyDSnyder's "Road to Unfreedom" a few weeks ago & came across this passage. His description of Russian Active Measures' influence on Western audiences in 2014 felt eerily familiar to many online conversations happening now. Ukraine in one case; I/P in another.
Western Media in 2014: "Those who spoke so freely of conspiracies, coups, juntas, camps, & genocides shied from contact w/ the real world. From a distance, they used their talents to drown a country in unreality; in so doing, they submerged their own countries & themselves . . ." Image
This really struck me: "Enormous amounts of time were wasted in Britain, the United States, and Europe in 2014 and 2015 on discussions about whether Ukraine existed and whether Russia had invaded it. That triumph of informational warfare was instructive for Russian leaders." Image
Read 6 tweets
May 3
Some people are frustrated w/ me bc I am critical of the campus protests. I'm not sure I understand. There have been many antisemitic incidents at these protests, across several sites. Such bigotry is deserving of strong criticism. It should be weeded out for the good of everyone
To be critical of the protesters is not the same as endorsing the Universities' responses or the Police's responses. I think this needs to be done on a case by case basis. I think we all need to be a bit more frank about how we balance Campus Speech vs. Bigotry.
I don't have the perfect answer. Neither do you. When it comes to Speech, there are always concessions to be made in one direction or another. We should have honest conversations about maintaining academic freedom while also minimizing hate. We're not having these conversations.
Read 14 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(