Benedikt Ehinger Profile picture
Oct 7, 2021 6 tweets 3 min read Read on X
While preparing my #EyeTracking 👀Lectures, I learned a bunch of new #vision science things & updated my outdated knowledge.

If I got something wrong/incomplete, I'd be happy to know it before I tell my students ;-)

1/6
If you stabilize the image on the retina, it doesn't necessarily fade. It strongly depends on what exactly you are showing & often fades in & out - it often fades in "logical" structures.

Images from Pritchard 1961 - a good read is 10.1177/0301006615594957
Visual Tremor (high freq eyemovements, smaller than drift), might be too small for function. Using AOSLO (tracking the photoreceptors with lasers), Bowers et al 2019 found tiny tremor (<1 arcs), much smaller than photoreceptors (~30arcsec) - different to dualPurkinje data?!
You can see during saccades! Richard Schweitzer & @MartinRolfs have a bunch of very neat studies on this. It seems to be all about the speed of the retinal image whether something is surpressed or not.
You can see color in the periphery; if you'd account for the linear increase in cortical magnification, one could argue you can even see color better in the periphery (Tyler 2015)
Bell's effect (the eyeball rolling up when blinking), is not the whole story - it strongly depends on eye position, sometimes it rolls even down (Briggs 1987)

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Benedikt Ehinger

Benedikt Ehinger Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @BenediktEhinger

Nov 1, 2019
1/6 unfoldtoolbox.org paper out!

You have multiple events, eye movements, differences in RT or stimulus-features, use VR, mobile EEG? You might need to #unfold your potentials!

Paper: doi.org/10.7717/peerj.…
with @olafdimigen
2/6
In short: We solve overlap by deconvolution and at the same time model covariates using (non-)linear multiple regression.

See the full (detailed) explanation thread:
3/6 We want all the plots!! Unfold offers many different plotting functions to help you understand your model and results
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(