Whyvert Profile picture
12 Oct, 4 tweets, 1 min read
Head of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences: the Nobel Prize will not have gender or ethnic quotas.

"In the end, we will give the prize to those who are found the most worthy, those who have made the most important contributions."

He used the q word

bbc.com/news/world-eur…
Affirmative action Nobels delayed a little longer.
He should have reiterated Larry Summers' point: in scientific ability there is greater male variability Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh
 

Keep Current with Whyvert

Whyvert Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

  2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @whyvert

6 Oct
Vietnam is a country built on demographic expansion (or, "settler-colonialism").
Vietnamese (Kinh) expanded from the Red River southwards over the past several hundred years.
They are 85%, the other 15% are various "indigenous" groups in peripheral areas, called Montagnards.
I doubt the Vietnamese think of themselves as "colonial-settlers".
Maybe that will arrive one day.
Taiwan is now one of the few countries that have apologized to their indigenous peoples for colonization.
And the distinction between Vietnamese and Montagnards was NOT invented, imagined, or socially constructed into existence by French colonial officials.
These groups have genetically different ancestries.
academic.oup.com/mbe/article/37…
Read 5 tweets
30 Sep
The genetic lottery:
Version 1: you have good luck in genes so you are obliged to pay higher taxes to fund more social programs.
Version 2: you have good luck in genes so you are obliged to have more children to assist future generations.
Which?
I'm subtweeting Paige Harden's idea.
(Maybe I should have had an option for both)
In version 1, the obligation is enforced by the state. Version 2, it is a voluntary noblesse oblige.
Version 1 is oriented to the present. Version 2 is oriented to the future.
Read 4 tweets
15 Sep
New paper on current natural selection.
Correlation between 33 polygenic scores and each person's number of children across two generations (in 400k Britons from UKBiobank).
Modern society is selecting for bad traits and selecting against good traits. Sad!
Source: Human capital mediates natural selection in contemporary humans ideas.repec.org/p/uea/ueaeco/2…
The Left ought to pay more attention to this because the selection is concentrated in lower income groups. This will increase inequality. There will be lower health and less cognitive ability at the lower levels of society.
Read 4 tweets
13 Sep
Genetic enhancement for health is popular (majorities approve), but genetic enhancement for intelligence is unpopular (big majorities disapprove, see below).
So, why not rebrand intelligence as "brain health"? Image
Pew Research: median 70% say genetic enhancement for health is OK, but only median 14% say it's OK for intelligence pewresearch.org/science/2020/1… Image
I don't know how popular is genetic enhancement for morality (or altruism). But that's one I would be against. Too many altruists in a population make it vulnerable to cheaters.
Read 4 tweets
6 Sep
How much of the African megafauna can survive expanding human population?
Lions, elephants and cheetahs endangered in Kenya.
"the recent census was the first time Kenya counted animals systematically in all parts of the country."
Read 4 tweets
29 Aug
The Vietnam War discredited Modernization theory.
That's a standard historical judgment.
e.g. Nils Gilman, Mandarins of the Future: Modernization Theory in Cold War America:
Change a couple of words and
The Afghan War discredited progressive global social constructionism
The "us" that Modernization wanted to make the world like was modern.
The "us" that progressive global social constructionism wants to make the world like is feminist, democratic, pro-gay, etc.
Same underlying idea.
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!


This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Too expensive? Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal Become our Patreon

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us on Twitter!

:(