Fake History Hunter Profile picture
Oct 19, 2021 10 tweets 7 min read Read on X
Today I'm reviewing another @MagellanTVDocs documentary; 'War on Witches'.
Watch it for free for 7 days here:
magellantv.com/video/war-on-w…
Get a one month free membership here:
try.magellantv.com/fakehistoryhun…
#magellantv, #freedocumentary
The documentary is about the witch hunt fever of the 16th century, so not Medieval.
Although, like so often, the middle ages seem to be connected to the subject and gets blamed for the burning of witches a lot.
But it was the modern era lot who are to blame! Image
It is fascinating to hear individual stories of the healers and local wise folk who had been part of life for centuries.

As rational and down to earth as I like to think I am, I will try this curse, draw an eye, stab it & the thief you're looking for will have eye pain! Image
Some of the objects in the Boscastle Witchcraft museum @witchmuseum are truly terrifying, so much inspiration for horror movies. ImageImageImageImage
It is amazing how King James himself became so obsessed he interrogated Agnes Sampson the healer himself.
Putting staged re-enactments in documentaries is a risky thing to do, after all it only works when done really well.
I think the scenes here look pretty good. Image
It's still insane to me that people believed for such a long time that torture for confession worked, sadly some still do.

Scotland executed 2500 people for witchcraft, a higher proportion of its population than almost any other European country!
This graph is pretty shocking; Image
This King James fellow, has he been cancelled yet?
What a nasty piece of work.

The story of Alison Device, of the Pendle witches, is pretty horrific, her poor sister Jennet, 9 years old, giving evidence that resulted in the hanging of her family.
Whatever became of her? Image
There's a bit about a recent archaeological dig in Cornwall is very exciting.
They've found pits with what appear to be ritual offerings.
That white bit, that's a skinned swan...
This is how scary films begin... ImageImage
Pins, fabric, human finger nails...
More than 40 of these pits have been found so far, often lined with animal skin.
One is lined with a skinned cat.
The last one dates to... the 1970s... ImageImage
So it seems that witches have survived all the horrors of their persecution, good for them.

Watch it for free for 7 days here:
magellantv.com/video/war-on-w…
Get a one month free membership here:
try.magellantv.com/fakehistoryhun…
#magellantv, #freedocumentary Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Fake History Hunter

Fake History Hunter Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @fakehistoryhunt

Jun 1
A few days ago I complained about a Guardian article using a bad photo from a film in an article about Joan Clarke, a Bletchley Park code breaker, but... something much worse might have happened...
I don't think this photo they used is of Joan... Image
@TeaKayB pointed this out to me and I was stunned, surely not, that would be extraordinary sloppy.
So I looked into it, of course. Image
For starters the image they used is flipped, here's the full picture as it should look: Image
Read 14 tweets
May 18
Game review!

I tried 'Aviators', a short game about the Polish air crews in the RAF during WW2.
A subject I care a lot about and I think deserves more attention.

Oh btw, the game is FREE on steam!
store.steampowered.com/app/2626910/Av…
For starters, I love the illustrations & art of this game, the cut scenes are gorgeous, like graphic novels.
Read 25 tweets
May 11
Time to look at another photo album in my collection, a tiny one this time with one picture on each page, showing us the adventures of some Dutch girl scouts in the early 1930s. Image
Croenssen ? Winter '32.
No idea what that means. Image
Wolfhezen, Pentecost '33
"Awaiting the flag parade."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfheze
Read 16 tweets
Apr 25
This Friday the game 'Manor Lord' is coming out, it's a medieval city builder that I've made a modest contribution to as a historical consultant and beta tester for.
I've been very excited about it for a long time and I'm not the only one, it's creating quite a buzz and has ended up on a lot of wishlists.
What I love about it most is that it tries to depict the middle ages in an accurate way, behind the scenes historians, experts & history addicts have been debating the tiniest details.
I think the result is one of the most historically accurate medieval games I've ever played.

#ManorlordsImage
So let's have a sneak peek at it shall we?

First, here's an official video:
Before you start you set up your profile and design your own family crest, look familiar?
This bit alone is SUCH fun, you can fiddle and play with this editor for ages till you get exactly what you want and then you'll see it on the banners in the game!
SUCH FUN! Image
Read 26 tweets
Apr 6
Sigh.
An account with half a million followers just tweeted that long debunked 'life in the 1500s' nonsense, 2.2 million people have seen it.
So here we go again...

These phrases are much more recent:
wordorigins.org/big-list-entri…
Facts she says. Image
People washed, used soap, had regular baths and winter weddings were more popular back then, when there are few flowers but full store houses.

thoughtco.com/weddings-and-h…
fakehistoryhunter.net/2019/09/10/med…
Read 14 tweets
Feb 14
Thread of some of the countless fun illustrations in this amazing medieval copy of 'Romance of Alexander'.
Full book here:

We start with this naked chap with nuns in a wheelbarrow.
Don't ask me what it means. digital.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/objects/ae9f6c…
Nuns & monks playing baseball?
Put everyone in a habit, that would make sports more interesting to watch. Image
Well that's no fun. Image
Read 77 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(