ezrazuckermansivan.bsky.social Profile picture
Nov 3, 2021 15 tweets 6 min read Read on X
I was yesterday years old when I realized...

that the key term "mimetic" is used in opposing ways by two highly influential & great sociological analyses of importance to me:

DiMaggio & Powell (1983) & Soloveitchik (1994)

& that it's productive to think about *why*

<THREAD>
To be sure, the papers each use "mimetic" to describe when people (Soloveitchik) or organizations (D&P) model their behavior on others, even though (in each case) the person or organization has good reasons not to slavishly model their behavior on others.
Also, both see mimesis as something that is "taken-for-granted" to the point that it is essentially done nonstrategically & even unthinkingly.
There are two important differences though

1/
For D&P, mimesis is within-generation: organizations observe the dominant models of our bureaucratized, capitalist economy & conform with them

The title of the paper is take-off on Weber's description of modern forms as "iron cages"
For S, by contrast, mimesis is inter-generational & traditional/anti-modern:

Younger Jews would observe their parents' (& grandparents' & fellow villagers') *pre-modern* practices & beliefs & reproduce them.
2/

For D&P, mimesis is a form of "institutional isomorphism" (it's in the subtitle!)

It's driven by the codifiable knowledge held and spread by texts & actors who stand outside of local interaction/community-e.g., consultants!
For S, by contrast, this is the very opposite of mimesis. He bemoans the rise of intellectual/text-based sources of authority-- driven by rabbis!-- that undermine mimesis in families/communities
Ok, so hopefully, even though you'd probably never heard of both D&P & S (not a lot of people out there who, like me, care about the questions each one engages with...) you may now be interested in the similarities & differences & curious how they can be bridged.

Three points:
a) They're each basically talking about the same process-- what old-timey sociologists called "modernization"-- & effectively criticizing it.

They're each nostalgic for a world in which prevailing "global" practices & beliefs cd be more easily ignored in favor of "local" ones.
b) It's always key to read neo-institutionalist like D&P together w "old institutionalism," which emphasizes continuity/path-dependence whereby organizations reproduce their pasts.

Here are some of my favs-- all of which could be described as *intergenerationally mimetic*
And I highly recommend these B&B papers, which are about the tensions between intergenerational & intragenerational pressures for institutional isomorphism: tensions that resonate with those discussed by S.
c) The last plank of the bridge is provided by Turner (1976), who describes 2 opposing logics for claiming a "real" identity-- "impulse" vs. "institution."

I like to frame this tension as this fun question:

Are we our real selves when naked or when clothed?
I light of Turner, it makes sense for D&P to (implicitly) emphasize the institutional self: organizations are in the first instance *tools*-- like clothing.

& it makes sense for S to stress the impulse self: human beings enter the world naked & impulsive & we exit the same way
But reading the papers together also reminds us of the other sides of these coins:

Organizations (like our clothing!) often come to be "infused with value" (Selznick!) & are reproduced via intergenerational mimesis to be sources of great pride!
The other side is that we people are products of our times, often building great new things together-- including breathing new life (however fitfully) into old traditions in ways that would've been automatically rejected by our forbears
Example: myjewishlearning.com/article/orthod…

/FIN

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with ezrazuckermansivan.bsky.social

ezrazuckermansivan.bsky.social Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @ewzucker

Nov 17, 2023
1/ A literary Bible🧵 in honor of my friends @AriLamm & @zugzwanged

(Leaving for @bluesky so last one 😢)

Features surprising link btwn seemingly unrelated characters
& reminds us not to use Bible as “comfort food” & but appreciate how it pushes us beyond moral comfort zone
2/ Our focus is the tragic, fraught scene in Gen 21 that is sometimes described as the “Binding of Ishmael” due to the many parallels between this story & the binding of Isaac (Gen 22) Image
3/ Strikingly, these parallels suggest remarkable equivalences:

between Israel’s 1st patriarch Abraham & a cast-out, foreign maidservant (whose name ha-gar can also be read ha-ger, or “the foreigner”)

&
between the 2nd patriarch Isaac & his erstwhile rival Ishmael Image
Read 31 tweets
Nov 13, 2023
1/ @RetsefL: the only person who's been "abusing" & "attacking" you is me. & you know it. I've wasted countless hours trying to get you to correct the record
Thx for beginning to do so

Journalists (@MaltzJudy, @havivrettiggur) & biz leaders (@ackman, @mikeeisenberg) take note
2/ There are really horrific incidents of antisemitism on Am campuses these days. I know of many that are *not* being publicized

I feel terribly for students, faculty, & staff in those universities

I also don't know what I'd do if I had colleagues in my departments who signed+
3/ 10/7-denalist statements, as many in my discipline of sociology have-- to our great shame

It's also simply horrific (esp if you're Jewish or Israeli) to have 10/7-denialists chanting massacre-friendly slogans all over campus, & interrupting classes- at @MIT & elsewhere
Read 13 tweets
Nov 10, 2023
I've learned more about moral panics in the last 36 hours than I ever learned reading about them

I'd like to propose that we're all living through a

*dual moral panic*

Quick/raw🧵 on what this means

(& see for classic cite on moral panics)jstor.org/stable/2083363
Start with analogies to financial market bubbles
(see & search "moral panic")

1 Like bubbles, moral panics are rooted in real facts & a compelling theory of what's behind those facts. The panickers usaually have very good reasons for their panic!!sociologicalscience.com/so-you-think-y…
2 Also like bubbles, they're fueled by strong social validation for papering over gaps between theory & fact, as well as biased interpretation of facts

If you might otherwise doubt what's going on, you have plenty of peers (in markets) or friends (in a panic) to support you
Read 13 tweets
Nov 9, 2023
🧵On the incredibly difficult moral dilemma we face viz the Israel-Hamas war

TLdr: The choices are bad bc moral clarity is everywhere demanded but “moral flexibility” (see linked paper) is pretty much all we see

osf.io/preprints/soca…
Begin with five observations:

1. The global left has destroyed its moral standing as critic of 🇮🇱 over its response (deny, diminish, deflect, justify, celebrate) to mass-murder, torture, & kidnapping of civilians
2. As in any just war war & especially one against an enemy that’s using a civilian population as a shield, the party fighting the just war must necessarily put civilian lives at risk without their consent
Read 24 tweets
Nov 1, 2023
At the heart of what’s making diaspora Jews viscerally afraid right now is simply the fact that we’re taking up so much space in people’s heads & emotional lives right now

That’s why Jews are often as uncomfortable with philo-semitism as with antisemitism

We know we’re+
just regular people, with the same array of faults & sins as everyone else. We constantly disappoint & outrage *one another* (as family members do!), & so we’re going to do that to you too if you follow us closely

Therein lies the danger

Which is familiar to us from cases of+
celebrities who disappoint us with their moral failures. We’re resentful of them that they ‘took’ so much of our emotional lives from us only to make us feel like schmucks

I don’t have a solution to this

It’s an age old problem (you can see it in the Greco-Roman antisemitism+
Read 11 tweets
Oct 31, 2023
A lot of heated debate about whether the slogan

“🇵🇸 will be free from the river to the sea” is genocidal or not

Fair question

But as Jamal & Yarhi-Millo point out, it’s a distraction from key Q whether this sloganeering is *productive*

🧵 on why not

nytimes.com/2023/10/30/opi…
Two main issues:

1. Downside of left “language of activism”

2. Dangerous ignorance
1. RememberTrump’s slogan “Build the Wall & Mexico will pay for it!” ?

It was infuriating to Democrats like me

But it worked to rally Trump supporters who insisted it was serious but not literal

theatlantic.com/politics/archi…
Read 16 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(