Barça Buzz Profile picture
Nov 9, 2021 14 tweets 11 min read Read on X
A thread on Xavi's tactics from his Al Sadd days based on his interview with @CoachesVoice.

The analysis is done by our Analytics and Vizzes Expert: @__ElJdP.

Xavi says: "I've suffered as a footballer without the ball, and now even more so from the bench."

Follow For More. ⤵️
@CoachesVoice @__ElJdP Ideal set-up:
• Wide wingers (stretch the pitch & distract).
• Advanced CM's in the "squares" (occupy)
• Central occupation (runs)
• Defensive midfielders (recycle possession)

As you'd expect from Xavi. The notion of squares: In the opponent's 4-4-2, find the holes & occupy.
@CoachesVoice @__ElJdP Set-up generating superiority:

From the beginning, Xavi points out that two forwards will get outnumbered by three, three forwards will get outnumbered by four.

Further up, players in the previously mentioned squares trap the opposition midfield: Superiority.
@CoachesVoice @__ElJdP Xavi 🗣 "In the end, all I want is to create numerical superiority, have the ball and create more chances than the opponent."

Xavi summarizes himself, much like Pep. His goal is to create 3v2 situations or any numerical superiority anywhere on the pitch. It doesn't matter where.
@CoachesVoice @__ElJdP Build-up phase:

Assuming this is a high-line (Question to ask: What if they counter-press? – Answer coming), Xavi wants to position wingers high enough to pin the opposition. With that said, the two remaining "free" defenders have to deal with three men (CMs + F9).
@CoachesVoice @__ElJdP Question: What happens in the first phase if there are no options? Would Xavi go long?

No, he wouldn't. Centre-backs dropping deep isn't a revolution, but one of the pivots would drop deep in the wings – let's count why.

Xavi's team is 8 v 6 in this case: Numerical Superiority.
@CoachesVoice @__ElJdP But what happens when they press high but will not fully commit?

Much like Europe has seen, you have a free man. Xavi beautifully shows a free lane that will force the opposition to make a choice: higher or deeper. Either way, Xavi will have 2 free men – find them!
@CoachesVoice @__ElJdP Xavi 🗣 "This is if they press high. However, against Al-Sadd, they normally tend to defend deep."

Perhaps one of the stylistic weak spots against Xavi: Yet he has mentioned his ideas earlier how he would break out w/ high press: Find the free man!
@CoachesVoice @__ElJdP What Xavi has encountered, however, are low-blocks. Heard of them in La Liga? No doubt.

Xavi 🗣 "We face them 90-95% of the time."

Often do opponents line-up in a 5 at the back, often are passing lanes stuck: But 1v1, or even shooting are options for advanced CMs.
@CoachesVoice @__ElJdP Question: What does Xavi want out of possession?

High press! Explaining the #9 would fix the centre-back, the other one would be covered by the advanced CM, should he manage to get out. The defensive midfielders immediately react and follow, so does everyone. Key: Attentiveness!
@CoachesVoice @__ElJdP The risk of his press: 1v1's. What Xavi wants is to deny any numerical superiority and relies in his players to win duels – that said, he assumes that the players will be able to do that.

He admits it is a risk "we take". It might be flawed but it outweighs the negatives.
@CoachesVoice @__ElJdP Should they play long, we drop deep but in *front* of our marker, Xavi explains. By doing so, you deny passing lanes and allow favorable transitions that even allow counter-pressing situations.

"The second ball is so important."
Not too much distance to win second balls safely.
@CoachesVoice @__ElJdP Xavi 🗣 "We had to change our philosophy a bit. I showed the players that the ball isn't a bomb, but a treasure. They should not feel responsibility when having the ball, but enjoy having the ball."

A new vision for most players.
@CoachesVoice @__ElJdP "We brought players like Guilherme and Cazorla, because they like having the ball and like those responsibilities."

Of course, having "better" players is always better – it explains why Xavi's Al-Sadd had improved.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Barça Buzz

Barça Buzz Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @Barca_Buzz

Sep 18
🎙️ Flick spoke in the press conference before the match against Monaco

🗣️: I think our idea when we started here was to play well. I think we've done well and we'll see what the intensity is like, how they press... so far it's going well. When I arrived I realised that there were players with a lot of quality, with players who were 15 years old and are now 16, we were incorporating international players and it's becoming more and more evident. We can give them the philosophy of how we want them to play, but in the end it has to happen on the pitch, and the latest results have been good, they are very stable and this is our key to success for now.Image
🎙️ Flick on Dani Olmo's replacement

🗣️: "Dani has his own quality on the ball, in front of goal and the confidence to shoot. We'll see, I hope we can continue playing at the same level without him."
🎙️ Flick on the Fernández cousins

🗣️: ​​"I also talked about them in my first answer. They started at 15 and are now 16. It's amazing how La Masia makes them develop and perform. When we need a player, we know we can find him at La Masia. I have no doubt that they will play very well."
Read 11 tweets
Sep 18
🎙️ Kounde spoke in the press conference before the match against Monaco on the team

🗣️: The team understands very well what the manager wants. There is a new dynamic, his staff is very on top of things and everyone does their job very well, starting with the forwards, who press very well. That gives us extra confidence and we all want to do it. That allows you to score goals and win games.Image
🎙️ Kounde on season objectives

🗣️: "When you start this competition the objective is to win it, we know it is very difficult, a competition with a new format, to which we will have to adapt because there will be more games, but the objective must be to compete. Last year we finished in the quarterfinals and this year we want more."
🎙️ Kounde on number of matches

🗣️: I agree with everything Rodri said. The calendar is getting longer every year, there are more matches every year, less time to rest. Nobody pays attention to us, the main protagonists, which are us, the players. The coaches have also asked for it. The only thing left for us to do is to go on strike. There are more and more injuries because there is less time to rest and more matches or tournaments, like now the Club World Cup, with which 70 matches per season can be reached.
Read 12 tweets
Sep 3
🎙️ Joan Laporta's opening speech

🗣️:" We are working on strengthening La Masia as the base of our sporting project. This is thanks to the members. What they have given us is emotional stability, otherwise it would have been impossible to save the club . The attacks will continue, especially when we are doing well. Now the 'Negreira case' is coming up again and it cannot be supported anywhere. There is also a debate that the team is supported by the club, a sterile debate. Those who have supported Barça have always been the members, because Barça is theirs and they love it. We have held on and we are winning. We are better off economically, socially and sportingly. The destabilisers from outside will have to work hard to make us falter. The president and the board of directors receive criticism and we accept it in order to improve, but we reject the proclamations to destabilise Barça. We are stronger than ever, with more determination to complete the recovery of Barça."Image
🎙️ Joan Laporta continues

🗣️: "what we are doing is saving Barça in the shortest possible time and without putting our future and association model at risk. We are also building the Spotify Camp Nou, which is almost a reality. It is a collective dream of Barcelona fans. We have done it with the support of Barça members. We have come out of this dead end. I want to say that we are very happy with the coach we have. La Masia has an impact on the first team, it is the backbone of our sporting project. We are very satisfied with Deco's work. Thanks to him we have Flick. He has done a great job in renewing the club's youngsters. The good understanding that Deco and Alexanko have made has led us to this. Another of Deco's merits is the creation of the squad and the restructuring of the sporting structure. Deco and his team, with Bojan and Enric, have done an extraordinary job in registering players. An extraordinary job has been done that I want to recognise. He is the architect of the signings of Dani Olmo and Pau Víctor."
🎙️ Laporta on return to Spotify Camp Nou

🗣️: "Everything is going according to plan to host matches at the end of the year. We don't want to set exact dates, but we are convinced that this is a reality. Everything indicates, despite the obstacles, that we will be able to play by the end of the year. This keeps us hopeful. We will achieve positive results on a regular basis. By being in Montjuïc we have stopped earning 100 million euros, so the interest in returning is maximum."
Read 10 tweets
Aug 30
🎙️ Hansi Flick spoke in the press conference ahead of the match against Real Valladolid.

🗣️: "It's always better to win. We've done well in the first three games so far. Valladolid is a good team and defends well, but we know how to attack. It will be a difficult game." Image
🎙️ Flick on transfer market

🗣️: "I don't focus on that. I signed to be the coach here and I know what we have. I'm happy with the team. We did very well against Rayo. We'll miss Bernal a lot. It's surprising how he learned to play in our system. What he's done is incredible and now we have to replace him with the team we have."
🎙️ Flick on Eric

🗣️: "Yes, I can confirm that he will continue. His natural position is centre-back, but it's good to have players who can play in several positions. You have to adapt and it's good to have players like Eric or Rapha up front who can play in other positions. Eric will have to play more as a central midfielder."
Read 10 tweets
Aug 26
🎙️ Hansi Flick spoke in the press conference before Rayo Vallecano match on Dani Olmo registration

🗣️: "I always have hope, I was hoping for him for the last game too. It would be great to have him for tomorrow's game." Image
🎙️ Flick continues on Olmo

🗣️: "These are things that neither the player nor the team can control. We talked about the situation, we know it's a difficult situation here in Barcelona. I believe in the club and I hope we can register him for tomorrow's game. Any player who can't play is obviously not happy. But he knows why it's like that. I'm sure that if he's on the list he'll be 100 percent fit."
🎙️ Flick on what needs to improve

🗣️: "I think I said it at the last press conference: We are very satisfied with what the team is doing on the pitch. The quality of the training sessions is good, they are very focused, the intensity is good... and that can be seen in the matches. If you only train at 80 percent it is impossible to give 100 percent in the matches. We analyse every match to improve in each match."
Read 11 tweets
Jun 4
🎙️Laporta spoke to Barca One on all the current issues of the club after the dismissal of Xavi Hernández and appointing new coach

🗣️: "As a culé, this is not good news. We wanted to win the Champions League, go to the final in basketball, but with respect to Mbappé I like our sporting philosophy better of forming a team with players from here. I respect what the rivals do, but I stick with our philosophy"Image
🎙️Laporta on upcoming journey

🗣️: "We are in a desert journey and I already said that the road would not be easy, the love of the members and fans at this time has a lot of merit, but we are about to have positive economic results and have the 1-1 to be able to go to the market"
🎙️Laporta on returning to Spotify Camp Nou

🗣️: "If there are no problems, at the end of the year we will be able to return to the new Camp Nou with the patience of the members, I believe that in moments of difficulty is when you have to be most proud of Barça. Women's football has given us a Champions League and we hope that handball Good luck this weekend too. I'm proud."
Read 37 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(