Jenan Moussa Profile picture
Nov 18, 2021 9 tweets 5 min read Read on X
1/ I cried after this interview. Guest on my show at @akhbar was Haidar (@Mrjan_97). During 2019 protests in Baghdad, he was hit by tear gas canister, lost half his face. Hoping for treatment he flew to Belarus, walked 4 days to Poland, now in Germany.

Before & after 😢

Thread: ImageImage
2/ Haider explains when he was hit: "Gas canister fired by riot police hit me. It was 2300 hr. I fell on the ground. I'm laying on my back, looking at the sky. My body cold. I feel smoke getting out of my ears, mouth &eyes. I was unconscious for 5 days".
3/ After 5 days Haider woke up in the hospital, he asked his family for a mirror to look at his face. "They hesitated, said it's only a minor injury. But I said: Give me a mirror! I looked in the mirror - I saw my youth, my future, my life is gone. Everything for me is finished." ImageImage
4/ I asked Haidar if he now regrets that he ever joined these protests in 2019? "I don't regret I participated in the protests", he said, "but I regret that I stood up for people who aren't worth it...people who love to be obedient & subordinate."

5/ I also asked Haidar why he decided to leave Iraq. "The government didn't help me, the people didn't help me. I went to the health ministry I asked them for treatment. 'You protested against the government, so why should we treat you?', they said."

6/ Hoping to change his life & get medical treatment in the West, Haidar left Iraq and flew about a month ago to Belarus. After four days of walking in the cold forests near the Polish border, he managed to get to Poland. A car then drove him to Germany.

7/ Haidar already applied for asylum in Germany. According to him, he is still waiting for one paper and then he will be allowed to go see any doctor.

And hopefully they can help him with restoring his face.

8/ My full @akhbar interview with Haidar is now available on youtube. It is in Arabic. Here the link:

9/ I normally don't do this but I am making an exception. If there are journalists out there who want to interview Haidar or highlight his situation, pls contact me. My dm is open. Thank you.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Jenan Moussa

Jenan Moussa Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @jenanmoussa

Jul 1
1/ ISIS acted harshly against its enemies. But 400 ISIS docs now show that ISIS also mistreated its own citizens &fighters. Corruption &violence were widespread. Today, @CTCWP releases those 400 docs. I was allowed to preview them. Here my @akhbar story:
2/ The almost 400 ISIS docs are mostly messages of citizens to ISIS officials complaining about other ISIS officials.

Complaints of illegal arrests, beatings, ISIS soldiers committing theft, torture...

Complaints are from 2015 - 2017, when ISIS caliphate consisted of large parts of Syria & Iraq. Many complaints are addressed to the ISIS wali of Raqqah. Some files are from Iraq or Yemen.
3/ These documents were found by the U.S. army in Syria and Iraq. Today, @CTCWP publishes these docs. I was allowed to preview the documents for @akhbar exclusively.

All the original docs in Arabic and the English translation can be found here:
ctc.westpoint.edu/the-caliphate-…
Read 14 tweets
Jun 26
1/ On June 16, @CENTCOM conducted airstrike in Syria killing an ISIS official. Btwn all the news from Ukraine & Gaza, it hardly got any attention. Even location of strike wasn't known. That got me interested. For @akhbar I started investigating. Thread.👇
akhb.ar/N79p2
2/ First, I started contacting my sources in Syria. Who heard of an airstrike that killed one man on Sunday 16, the day before Eid? And if yes, where did it happen? And was this indeed the same strike that the Americans conducted?
3/ Sources told me that somebody was killed by an airstrike nearby Afrin. Then, I spoke to @farhad_shami, head of the media center of the SDF. He confirmed it too. “We had knowledge of the [recent] operation,” said Shami. “The movements of the target were monitored. Especially during the last two days before the operation. He was moving around Al Bab, Mare’ and finally Afrin.”
Read 11 tweets
Apr 19, 2023
1/ The last hours of a killed ISIS leader's life looked like a Hollywood movie. Not only did he escape twice, also villagers tell @akhbar US forces killed 2rebels who had nothing to do with ISIS.

My EXCLUSIVE reconstruction of a deadly US raid in NSyria:
tinyurl.com/2t3yccaa
2/ As the story is published in Arabic on the website of my company @akhbar, I will post the main points in English in this thread. Of course, you can also open the Arabic page and use google Translate. tinyurl.com/2t3yccaa
3/ The US raid took place last Monday around 0130 AM near Jarablus. I sent 2 sources to the area. They spoke to witnesses; neighbors, relatives &villagers. They also exclusively visited the targeted house where the ISIS leader secretly lived. This is a drone shot of that house: Image
Read 23 tweets
Nov 16, 2022
1/ Iranian Nobel Peace Prize laureate tells @akhbar: “Yes, I regret that I ever said during 1979 Revolution: Long live Khomeini.” Watch my exclusive interview with Dr. Shirin Ebadi on current uprising in Iran. Powerful words. I'll tweet some parts out.
2/ Dr. Ebadi tells me: “We admit that [1979 protests] were a mistake when we see what's happening 2day in Iran. (...) those who were in jail say torture now is worse than during prev regime [of Shah]. Agents of current regime more bloodthirsty & violent.”
3/ I asked Dr. Ebadi about Iran's nuclear program. "The moment a democratic government is established in Iran, work on nuclear program will stop," she said. "It has cost Iran so much. (…) nuclear program isolates Iran from region & from world.”
@akhbar
Read 10 tweets
Sep 12, 2022
1/ Interesting. @akhbar interviewed Omar bin Laden, son of Osama bin Laden. His father took him as a child to Afghanistan. Now he +wife live in Normandy, France. “French landscape helps me to relax,” he says, “I started painting &I'm enjoying it a lot.”

2/ Omar bin Laden explains he paints the mountains of Afghanistan in red & black. “I lived there for almost a year," he says, "Big mountains, tough terrain. Red represents the suffering, pain & blood. Black, the darkness, no electricity, height & depth of the mountains.”

@akhbar
3/ “End of my period with my father was in Tora Bora,” Omar bin Laden continues, “there was lots of bombing, killing, many lives were lost. Whether they were innocent or not, fighters &non-fighters, but I was effected by these bloody scenes. That's why I paint these mountains.”
Read 4 tweets
Aug 21, 2022
1/ Eight yrs ago ISIS launched a terror campaign against Iraq's Yazidis. Leila was enslaved by ISIS. Today she still lives in a camp. “Most ISIS women live better than me,” she tells me on my show on @akhbar, “Many came back to Iraq & some even to Europe.”
2/ ISIS terror started in August 2014. Leila now is 28 yrs old. She's from Sinjar, heart land of Iraq's Yazidis. She was 20 when ISIS attacked. She was kidnapped by ISIS &enslaved for 5 years. In 2019 she escaped. 10 family members still missing among them her father & brothers.
3/ Leila says: "Years passed & I still don't know what happened to my family! Someone should do something. We all want bodies of our martyrs back or if they're alive we want news about them. They keep on saying, be patient. We have no patience anymore.”
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(