NBC News Profile picture
Nov 19, 2021 11 tweets 4 min read
SPECIAL REPORT: Protesters injured by police last year are still healing from their wounds — but some never will.

Victims describe the lasting effects of broken bones, torn ligaments, scarred faces, and blindness suffered at the hands of officers.
nbcnews.to/3oCTxMQ
Rickia Young was driving to pick up a friend from a protest in Philadelphia in Oct. 2020 when officers broke her windows and dragged her from the car.

Young says she suffered torn ligaments, an injury to her back, and lacerations to her face.

She was never charged with a crime. Image
“They treated me like an animal,” Young says.

“I can barely play with my son. If I try to run, my back will hurt. I can barely do everyday things. I can’t even hold a baby for a long time because my arm will give out on me.” Image
22-year-old Dounya Zayer says she suffered four herniated discs, two pinched nerves, a sprained ligament in her back, and a concussion when an NYC officer allegedly shoved her to the pavement during a protest on May 29 in Brooklyn.

“He walked away from it, but he ruined my life” Image
On June 4, Martin Gugino, who is in his 70s, suffered a fractured skull and concussion after police in Buffalo pushed him to the ground at a demonstration.

A Buffalo grand jury dismissed charges against the officers earlier this year. Image
Randy Stewart alleged in a damages claim that a Los Angeles police officer shot him in the back of the head with a rubber bullet, causing a brain hemorrhage, tinnitus, speech and vision trouble, and more.
Marqus Martinez is still recovering after being hit with a sting ball grenade in his face on May 31 in California.

His mouth was split up to his nose; he also suffered a broken jaw and concussion, per a lawsuit.

“He’s got years worth of recovery in front of him,” a lawyer says.
30-year-old Shantania Love is permanently blind in one eye because of what she believes was a rubber bullet when police began firing at a Santa Rosa demonstration in May 2020.

Love says she suffers from depression and severe panic attacks as a result of her injury.
It took 23-year-old Abigail Rodas weeks to eat and talk again after a Los Angeles officer allegedly shot her with a rubber bullet last June.

Doctors stitched her mouth back together and inserted a permanent metal plate to repair her fractured jawbone.

nbcnews.to/3oCTxMQ Image
“My whole face was swollen. I wasn’t able to talk. I had to adjust with texting or a white board,” Rodas says.

The pain and side effects from medications made going to school impossible, so she dropped out.

Rodas is now working through her intense depression with a therapist. Image
Read more about the protesters who haven’t found healing more than a year after being injured by police.

nbcnews.to/3oCTxMQ

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with NBC News

NBC News Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @NBCNews

Jun 30
There is a mountain of data that privacy advocates are now worried could be used by law enforcement in states that have banned abortion. Here's what digital information prosecutors can (and can't) use in legal abortion cases. nbcnews.to/3nr1Nzg
Prosecutors often rely on a digital footprint from smartphones. States have used search histories as evidence of intent in cases against people who were accused of illegally administering their own abortion. nbcnews.to/3nr1Nzg Image
So far, residents in all 50 states can order the pill online. And the international origin of most abortion pills offers something of a legal barrier. nbcnews.to/3nr1Nzg Image
Read 5 tweets
Jun 26
LIVE UPDATES: Nationwide protests continue as supporters and opponents of abortion rights map their next moves. nbcnews.to/3xSo8L6
A fire at a Colorado Christian organization is being investigated as arson, officials say.

Photos posted by Longmont Public Safety show a spray-painted message: “if abortions aren’t safe neither are you.” nbcnews.to/3nibWyd
Israel's health minister says the "prohibition of abortions is a dark move."

"Denial of a woman’s right to her body, oppression of women is going back a hundred years." nbcnews.to/3HQYomK
Read 13 tweets
Jun 25
After Friday's Supreme Court ruling overturning Roe v. Wade, lawmakers who support abortion rights argued that some of the justices who voted in the majority opinion misled senators during their confirmation process. nbcnews.to/3xRCoDD
In her 2020 hearing, Justice Barrett was pressed on why she would characterize Brown v. Board of Education, but not Roe V. Wade, as super precedent. nbcnews.to/3xRCoDD
In his 2018 confirmation hearing, Justice Kavanaugh was questioned repeatedly about Roe and Casey.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, pressed him to say it was settled law, but Kavanaugh declined to say so by arguing it would diminish the independence of the judiciary.
Read 5 tweets
Jun 25
LIVE UPDATES: ROE V. WADE OVERTURNED

• Protests and celebrations erupt across the country

• President Biden says it's up to voters in November to select candidates who would protect a host of rights — from abortion to marriage equality

nbcnews.to/3OCC1nT
A truck hit a person in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, on Friday evening, where people were marching after the Supreme Court decision. nbcnews.to/3ygdRcR
Law enforcement officers used tear gas during protests outside the Arizona Senate Building in Phoenix after part of a door was broken, the state Department of Public Safety says. nbcnews.to/3xTO6Oj
Read 22 tweets
Jun 24
If you live in a state set to ban abortions, how far might you have to travel to get one? On average, it's a 4 hour drive. nbcnews.to/3nhtPwY
.@NBCNews analyzed the distance to the nearest open abortion clinic from major cities in 21 states that either have pre-existing or pending state-level abortion bans that will go into effect following the ruling to overturn Roe v. Wade. nbcnews.to/3nhtPwY
For someone living in Salt Lake City, it will require driving six hours and traveling roughly 335 miles to the nearest open clinic in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. nbcnews.to/3nhtPwY Image
Read 4 tweets
Jun 24
LIVE UPDATES: SUPREME COURT OVERTURNS ROE V. WADE. nbcnews.to/3zWuqvM
Planned Parenthood: "The court has failed us all — but this is far from over." nbcnews.to/3HWOxvJ
Speaker Pelosi: "Because of Donald Trump, Mitch McConnell, the Republican Party and their supermajority on the Supreme Court, American women today have less freedom than their mothers." nbcnews.to/3tZezc1
Read 70 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us on Twitter!

:(