Scott Hamilton RTM Profile picture
Nov 24, 2021 9 tweets 3 min read Read on X
1/10 Professor Brian Boyd is one of the world's foremost experts on the Russian novelist Vladimir Nabokov. Armed with these credentials, Boyd has waded into the argument about Matauranga Maori. Unsurprisingly, Boyd has had nothing sensible to say.
2/10 Talking to Newsroom, Boyd claimed that Matauranga Maori was a threat to science, and compared it to Christian Creationism. Because indigenous thought is 'holistic', Boyd said, Matauranga Maori will demand that every Maori oral tradition is taken as literal fact.
3/10 Boyd is worried that Matauranga Maori scholars treat Maui's fishing up of islands as historical fact, and see taniwha as long-lost pleisiosaurs lurking in our rivers and lakes. He should have talked to some of his colleagues at the University of Auckland.
4/10 As Auckland geologist Dr Daniel Hikuroa has made clear, Matauranga Maori involves searching through Polynesian traditions and practices and differentiating what is scientific from what is not. Hikuroa points to the Maori lunar calendar as a work of science.
5/10 It is ironic for a Pakeha scholar to accuse Maori scholars of wanting to treat every aspect of Polynesian tradition as literally true, because that approach was taken in the 19th & early 20th centuries by the likes of Percy Smith and Elsdon Best. The results were disastrous
6/10 As David Simmons has shown in his book The Great New Zealand Myth, Smith and Best inappropriately lumped together different waka traditions and conflated mythological and literal details from those traditions to arrive at the story of the Great Fleet of seven waka.
7/10 It's also ironic for Boyd to liken Maori scholars to Christian zealots, b/c it was Christian bigotry that disrupted Maori intellectual traditions. The Tohunga Suppression Act outlawed those traditions.Scholars like Maori Marsden had to study at secret, secluded whare wananga
8 Perhaps we could make an analogy using a subject with which Boyd is familiar. In addition to being a great novelist, Vladimir Nabokov was an expert entomologist, who discovered many species of butterflies.
9/9 It is quite possible to study Nabokov's scientific work without having to treat his novels as works of science. In the same way, it is possible for scholars like Hikuroa to separate Maori science from literary works like the legends of Maui.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Scott Hamilton RTM

Scott Hamilton RTM Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @SikotiHamiltonR

Mar 6
1/5 I find the eliminationist rhetoric that's entering NZ politics from Trumpian America disturbing. We're hearing the rhetoric from the right at the moment, but I've also heard it from the odd person on the left in the past. I've got a graphic to show to NZ's eliminationists.
2/5 This is a graphic of NZ's 1902 election, when Seddon's Liberals triumphed over Massey's Conservatives. In the 122 years since, NZ has been divided into left & right blocs. They aren't going away, because they're rooted in sociology & history. Image
3/7 Eliminationists see people on the other side of the political divide as either evil or deranged. They see the ideas of the other side as irrational, & consequently have the illusion they can be eradicated. I've been disappointed to see some on the left adopt eliminationism.
Read 13 tweets
Feb 17
1/7 Imagine that settler govts had not denied Maori the vote, that there had been no wars & confiscations, that Maori & Pakeha had come together in a hybrid culture. This might sound like a plot for an alt history novel, but in a remote part of NZ it was reality.
2/7 These precise & exquisite maps are part of Kaye Dragicevich's book about the gumlands of early 20thC Northland, which I acquired yesterday. Amidst the swamps & hut villages on these maps a new, Slavic Polynesian people was born.
3/7 Tarara is the Maori name for a person of Croatian & Maori ancestry. Croats fled repressive Habsburg rule to dig for kauri gum in Northland. There they met another oppressed people. This photo remembers the first Croat-Maori marriage, in 1892. Image
Read 9 tweets
Jan 19
1/7 The debate about the meaning of the Treaty shouldn't be settled by partisan politics or polls. It should be settled by historical evidence. Here are 5 reasons why I believe David Seymour's wrong when he claims the Maori who signed the Treaty 1840 gave away all sovereignty. Image
2/7 The reason is the speeches the chiefs made at Waitangi. If they wanted Britain to take away their authority, why did not one of them say that? The chiefs talked obsessively about the negative impact of British settlers in the north, & the need to control those settlers. Image
3/7 The 2nd reason is the way Britain colonised. In place after place, from Africa to India, the Brits liked to exercise 'indirect rule', by cutting deals with local leaders that left those leaders with some sovereignty but Britain with overall control. Why would NZ be different? Image
Read 8 tweets
Jan 1
1/10 A number of people who don't read poetry have pronounced Tusiata Avia a bad poet. How can we judge for ourselves? Back in the days when I used to edit literary publications, & often had loads of poems to accept or reject, I had two tests. I think Avia passes both. Image
2/10 The first test involves imagery; the second involves sound. One of the jobs of the poet is to renew the worn out, cliched imagery that we tend to use in everyday life. Bad poets will use cliches. Their seas will sigh or shine; their mountains will be mighty. Image
3/10 A poet's imagery should be original, but also needs to be meaningful. Silly novelty is no good, as my youthful poems show. I find vivid & meaningful images in many of the poems in Avia's 2016 book Spirit House/Fale Aitu. Here's one of my favourites. Image
Read 12 tweets
Dec 18, 2023
1/17 Brian Tamaki has led haka in support of Israel. 6 of the 14 nations that backed Israel in a UN vote were in the Pacific Islands. What is the reason for the significant, tho not overwhelming, support for Israel from indigenous Pacific peoples? The answer lies in the 19th C. Image
2/17 Grant Wyeth has attributed Pacific support for Israel to the strength of pentecostal, End Times Christianity in the region. Wyeth has a point, but he ignores the fact that a significant number of Pacific people see themselves as descendants of Jews. Image
3/17 The identification with Judaism began in the 19thC & had 2 sources. The first was the teachings of missionaries. Struggling with how to relate to the peoples of the South Pacific, missionaries like NZ's Richard Taylor decided they were descendants of a lost tribe of Israel. Image
Read 17 tweets
Dec 13, 2023
1/5 I posted yesterday about the way Ben Couch & Winston Peters internalised white supremacist ideas in spite of their brown skin. Another case of the same phenomenon was the Samoan Nazi Party, which grew in the late '30s, & hoped that Hitler would throw NZ out of Samoa. Image
2/5 These startling photos have been publicised by Michael Field. Interestingly, many 'pure' German Samoans spurned the Nazi Party, preferring the more socially elite Concordia Club. A lot of party members had mixed German & Samoan heritage. A few were Jews. Image
3/5 Party members had been exposed to Nazi propaganda, but they'd also been governed for decades by a NZ administration that had often been crudely racist. The huge protests of the pro-independence Mau movement had only intensified the violence & prejudice of the administration Image
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(