🇵🇸 EYES ON RAFAH 🇵🇸 Profile picture
Nov 27, 2021 8 tweets 4 min read Read on X
It's early but wanted to check out the growth for Omicron in relation to Delta. Two things stand out 1) that Delta had relatively low numbers, easier for Omicron to overtake it and 2) taking first 5 days of 1st and 2nd week, Omicron samples are increasing by ~2.75 times weekly.
The cases here additionally show that Omicron didn't overpower Delta but rather that Delta appears to have burnt itself out and Omicron has been opportunistic in the vacuum. How does Omicron do under conditions where Delta is highly prevalent and surges are occurring, and after?
This is not to say that Omicron isn't formidable as a similar scenario happened here in the United States as we reached the lowest numbers since March 2020 in June of 2021 which is when Delta became dominant in the U.S.
This may suggest that the most vulnerable areas in the United States are those that recently went through their surge and but have dropped down to near or below pre-surge levels (e.g., Florida, Louisiana, Alabama, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, etc.).
These four states: Florida, Louisiana, Alabama, Puerto Rico, and Hawaii (not pictured) all have bottomed out similar to South Africa and might have little competition by way of Delta in order to follow a similar path toward becoming dominant.
One question that spurs more is on the genomic sequencing samples: what was the criteria for sequencing them in the first place? Are random samples sequenced or is it primarily hospitalizations? This may give some indication on whether there are changes in severity with Omicron.
Trying to determine growth in Botswana but testing/submissions appears to be inconsistent by looking at numbers over the past 6 months... often will go a few days with 0 cases and then have thousands of cases 😕
Here we go, South Africa is more consistent on testing and it is mirroring the growth rate I was calculating with the genomic sequencing data which suggests 3x growth, 50% higher growth than Delta. Yikes.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with 🇵🇸 EYES ON RAFAH 🇵🇸

🇵🇸 EYES ON RAFAH 🇵🇸 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @joaquinlife

Jan 26
I gave you a vetted library of scientific studies through PubMed of well over 5,000 papers on masks (and I use the term colloquially to describe N95s and other well-fitted respirators). If that's too much for you, I'm happy to spoon-feed you. Pull up an easy chair, relax + learn.
First, you have to understand that SARS-2 (and others like measles, tuberculosis, flu) is spread primarily through aerosols: respiratory particles released through coughing, sneezing, talking, singing, breathing, that can stay suspended in air (airborne). arxiv.org/pdf/2103.01188…
fig 1 from the study "Respiratory aerosols and droplets in the transmission of infectious diseases" showing how SARS-2 transmits via droplets and aerosols
Depending on the size of this respiratory particle being emitted by someone, it is either defined as a droplet or aerosol. Droplets are heavier (bigger) so they fall quickly, aerosols are lighter (smaller) so they can remain suspended in the air and travel further distance. A picture with man sneazing showing the range of droplets and aerosols (some aerosols not seen by naked eye). Caption reads: A sneeze can carry the coronavirus pathogen in droplets and in aerosols — and they could land on a surface, making it a fomite. From article: https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/07/06/887919633/aerosols-droplets-fomites-what-we-know-about-transmission-of-covid-19
Read 7 tweets
Jul 24, 2023
After 3.5 years of helping to keep my mom from a SARS-2 infection, she finally tested positive. I immediately checked her labs with her doc to get her Paxlovid and introduced the doctor to metformin studies that showed risk reduction for long covid, she prescribed both.
She is also taking active probiotics, pain medication, getting sun, drinking warm teas, taking steamy hot showers, gargling with warm salt water, and has a hepa filter running in her room. It’s possible she got it from family who was visiting as they too are positive, unclear.
My mom tells me she is sad she got COVID and that I’m right about continuing to push her to mask. She said, “Ya no todos usan mascarilla y yo también me descuidé recientemente”. I said, "Necesitamos ser líderes y hacer lo correcto, sin importar lo que hagan los demás.”
Read 7 tweets
Feb 6, 2023
The Northridge earthquake was a 6.7 earthquake that lasted 10-20 seconds. The earthquake that just hit Turkey and Syria was a 7.8 and last 90 seconds. If the estimates are correct of 17,000 dead, this is the deadliest earthquake ever. Please support humanitarian efforts urgently.
Turkey’s 1999 earthquake of 7.6 in Marmara lasted 45 seconds and left 17,000 dead. This 7.8 earthquake lasted 90 seconds with significant aftershocks as high as 7.5… 💔
Sorry, correction. They had a 7.7 aftershock. 😞
Read 4 tweets
Jan 10, 2023
As of Oct 2022, 96% of Children have been infected by SARS-2. When Biden took office, this number was roughly 20%. In less than two years, this administration and CDC will have managed to implement a pandemic policy that resulted in nearly 80% of children infected with SARS-2.
It's really hard to communicate how dark, inhumane, and absolutely wrong this all is... We knew it was unsafe and that we needed proper masks, ventilation, and filtration to reduce spread. Instead this administration went for the tagline "We opened schools."
How many family members died? What disability are these children dealing with now? What disability will children deal with as they get exposed to more reinfections? How many times have these children been infected? How many years of their lives have been stolen?
Read 6 tweets
Dec 3, 2022
I wish I could automatically follow everyone who is wearing a mask to protect themselves and others. You are making a huge difference. I’m so grateful to you and so are the people in your lives who see how much you care. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
I tried to follow everyone who liked this… I wonder what happened? Will try to continue following in a bit. We need to make sure we work together to turn the tide on this pandemic with better policies.
Okay, working again. Will follow everyone I can. 😊
Read 5 tweets
Oct 4, 2022
As many of you know, I ran for Congress in the primary to be a champion for better pandemic policies. While we did not make it to the general this time around, I am thankful for all we did together in such a short time to show the world our communities want action on COVID.
Throughout the campaign, I attended city council meetings throughout the district to highlight the importance of high-quality masks, ventilation, filtration, and testing.
We did not have large donors or a formal organization behind us but we made national waves as @RollingStone showed that calling out the CDC Community Levels map isn't just rock 'n roll, it's also good public health to demand better for our communities. rollingstone.com/culture/cultur…
Read 6 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(