Kai E. Iliev Profile picture
Dec 3, 2021 31 tweets 12 min read Read on X
Manchester United – Arsenal: About a lack of organization, mentality, game tilt & why the score doesn't reflect the performance by either team.

#JdPExplains

[THREAD] Image
Arsenal started the first minutes well off, unafraid to press United high. Carrick's men found it difficult to find passing outlets to evade the press. Arsenal were compact and high, cutting connections for the backline to advance to the midfield – improvement needed for ManU. Image
It was easy for Arsenal to isolate Manchester United. Without any midfield options, the back-line panicked for simple pressures that could be overcome with some reasonable amount of structure / pre-defined roles. Yesterday, that did not seem to exist for the hosts. Image
It remains incomprehensible that United could not find basic solutions to Arsenal's pressing – players did not offer themselves as outlets in pressure. De Gea was stuck with two CB's unable to overcome te press – and had no passing options that would compromise possession. Image
United's awareness, as a collective & as individuals was horrific. Here's an example of Arsenal intercepting the ball – that United had not seen the runner is a blatant lack of awareness, a horrific rookie mistake. Knowing your surroundings makes a different in football. Image
When Arsenal found themselves high up the pitch in possession of the ball, I liked the triangles but I also disliked the lack of unity. It often felt like it was a couple of stranded islands in the Pacific Ocean instead of one unity. It will improve, but lacking so far. Image
Not only could United not evade Arsenal's pressure in the first minutes, but they also failed to press Arsenal, too. Here's a classic example of United having the minority – credits to ElNeny who often made himself available in crucial situations. Easy press to overcome. Image
More ElNeny appreciation: Scans before, is aware where is United's weakness – the abandoned right-wing. He knows his next move before the opponent is aware, and it results in free space – horrendous awareness by United once again. ImageImage
Arsenal failed to take advantage of the opportunity in this occasions – but it's clear that the breakthrough is dangerous. This is a mere result of United's defense trying to hoof the ball long to clear –– a psychological toll. Arsenal are in a *good* position to hurt United. Image
When United finally overcame Arsenal's lines in the midfield, Arsenal often faced the issue of interpretation: The structure is *good*, the *execution* is horrendous. Two isolated players, Arsenal are in a position to easily stop this counter-attack – yes they fail to do so. ImageImageImageImage
Was very disappointed in Aubameyang, especially in this situation: Has the perfect opportunity to get a valuable shot & scared United away despite not scoring – hoofs it straight at the keeper instead.

Arsenal suffered from a fixating point in the center of the forward line. Image
Classical example of Partey's potential & limitations: Is rightly positioned, has identified what he wants to do. However has forgotten to correct his timing & body orientations: Loses the ball as a result & becomes v dangerous for Arsenal.

Partey needs massive improvement. ImageImage
As a consequence, United had amazing turnovers – in this situation, Ronaldo takes a hazardous shot – yet off the ball runs around him are on point – hard to blame the entirety of Arsenal when it's Partey's repeated errors that create the said situation. Image
United, when they finally decided to commit more men, were often too late – equally so in some situation for Arsenal – the latter used that to their advantage, creating space & advancing by merely passing the ball – waiting for the opponent to create the space themselves. Image
Would like to stress that Arsenal's base structure is *good*, though it needs improvement. The idea is there for sure, and despite it's nothing revolutionary, it is pleasing to see some implemented principles. Stretching the pitch was well done in the beginnings. Image
A run off the ball to divert attention while the teammate stays wide: Overloads well executed, United taking the bait. Arsenal still lack the precision, but stressing the following: The base idea/structure is noticeable, despite tweaks are still needed – understandably so. Image
Unfortunately for Arsenal, doubts were noticeable around the 20th minute: Pressure was applied less accurately in terms of timing, you could see hesitancy when attempting defensive actions & there seemed to be a lack of faith or belief: This is when United started rising. Image
It gradually became easier for Manchester to build-up without pressure as only two men suddenly pressed them – it gave more time for United to think & often left Fred unmarked – key in possession despite his numerous mistakes – in order to continue progressing. Image
Partey's limitations resurfaced in the worst situations: When evading pressure. Arsenal are patient enough to invited pressure, and Partey needs to be *accurate* – but fails to do so. That is why until Partey will learn that, Xhaka will continue as a key player in the midfield. Image
I however really liked how ESR tried to 'join' the team, and ElNeny's use of space was also key – the two were key in space occupation, but obviously the context of the players needs to improve, so that Arsenal can use those moments even more to progress efficiently. Image
Understanding United's intentions is hard – what do they exactly want to do? That was a recurrent question that I asked myself throughout the match – without a clear answer. A lot still feels like a lot of interpretation, without a basic structure.

Structure is important. Image
Panic quickly ravaged Arsenal, and that in the worst of situations – susceptible to a simple switch of play, Arsenal was too passive, as if they were afraid. It screams a lack of leadership, clarity – despite Arteta did not request any of that. Young players. Image
United however failed to be as effective as they had the potential to in key instances. It takes long for the players to switch, several warnings from teammates and almost a trenches-like stalemate for them to understand where to go next. Overloads need massive improvement. Image
Rashford on the right however seems threatening, more than he has been recently. I like his off the ball run, key in a team where this profile lacks a lot. Barring injuries, there are little reasons why Rashford won't be key this season – very important. Image
Arsenal's influence in the half-spaces diminished quickly: It suddenly became easy for United to open up Arsenal, through the same method Arsenal had operated earlier: A run in the box, another in the half-space: Too much to track down, and United are in advantage. ImageImage
That United could receive the ball in those key spaces remains incomprehensible. This is mostly due to a lack of concentration/awareness, yet it remains horrendous. The transitions therefore became an issue, despite starting out as a compact unit.

Arteta will not be happy. Image
This game was pre-defined by the first minutes, ambitious from Arsenal, to a sudden death where Arsenal suffocated themselves. Arteta has said to not be happy about it – as it was not in his expectations nor instructions. It's something that most likely will improve.
United didn't have the structure but had the key difference-makers, while Arsenal had the structure but didn't have the key different-maker in the center of the forward line – with Auba being too insufficient.

Arsenal's loss has a lot of valuable lessons.
Pessimism is understandable, but fans should know they're on the right track. There is work, but of course, it's not well-oiled yet – but I believe it will improve with time. As for United, Rangnick's main job is to provide core ideas/basic structure.
Many players have potential, can/should do better but cannot express themselves in a non-destructive way for their teammates: They need a spider web so that they can complement each other: Most of the players are *good*, but they need a project and fast.
Any of the critique serve as mere observation: They are not supposed to serve as conclusion or slander. They're only there for me to serve as a shared notebook.

I hope you will have enjoyed this thread as much as I enjoyed writing it.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Kai E. Iliev

Kai E. Iliev Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @jdeposicion

Mar 8, 2023
Manuel Pellegrini:
“City’s success made new demands of United. Traditionally they were bigger but it’s changing; kids tend to support winning teams. English football changed but respects tradition. When I came in 1988 it was about getting the ball into the area quickly.
Some of that essence is maintained. A team that’s 1‑0 up wants a second and a third.”

From the dirty, muddy pitches with crowds wanting transitions to the patient build-up, through Silva, KdB to Rodri. Or to other players, like Elliott, Kanté and Scholes.
On England's football as a whole:
“The spectacle matters and there’s strength. City, United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham, now Newcastle, could all compete for the league. The distribution of money is better, the amount generated. In Spain the gap is significant.”
Read 10 tweets
Jan 16, 2023
F.C Barcelona - Real Madrid: Winners of the Spanish Super Cup, Xavismo continued.

[THREAD]

#JdPExplains
A primordial game, though insignificant on paper. The Spanish Super Cup used to be a final game between the league & Copa Del Rey winners, but the format recently has changed. After Valencia and Betis were booted out by the archrivals, here they were to meet again.
A Clásico.
This is mentioned not out of pride, but out of necessity. A Clásico will always be of epic proportions, no matter how one tries to minimize its impact, even when it is in Saudi Arabia following Rubiales' great aspirations.
It's a potential turning point in Xavismo, first trophy.
Read 21 tweets
Jan 15, 2023
Oscar Hernández's experience on his first days with Mascherano's Argentinian U20 NT:

"With Mascherano, we introduced a more fundamental positional play. They discovered that many of the stereotypes people had over it [JdP] were erroneous. We noted that JdP doesn't restrict...
...But that there are zones that must be occupied, but that it doesn't have to be occupied by the "assigned player." The fullback can occupy the zone of the winger, the winger the one[zone] of the interior...the player has total freedom of movement to receive the ball".
"What we're searching for with all of this is an understanding of the environment, which is different from understanding the game. The game isn't understood, it is played. Understanding the environment allows progression: How to find [numerical] superiority,
Read 7 tweets
Dec 2, 2022
Germany's exit explained – as requested – #JdPMiniThread
I. Background

Since the 2014 World Cup Trophy, Germany's legacy has become forgettable. The 2016 Euros didn't convince many, and 2018 became the last straw for Joachim Löw – losing against South Korea in the process.

The Old Guard had to retire, change was coming.
After the Champions League victory with Bayern, Hansi Flick was hired by the DFB as the national team coach.
His job? Ensure the transition be smooth, with new talents with likes of Kai Havertz, Jamal Musiala, Bella-Kotchap, Joshua Kimmich and Sané + Gnabry making their names.
Read 12 tweets
Nov 29, 2022
Find the argument interesting, but I don't think I necessarily agree.

For one, I don't think John (or for the record, a majority of “us” — those that enjoy positionism”) suggest/ed “This is the perfect way football should be played.”

Instead, it's rather an ideal.
There's a concept, an ideal.
And there's a reality.

Those two a different. When me, John or any “positionist” for instance has watched a structurally similar space distribution on the basis of a passmap, and called it perfect, it doesn't mean it's infallible. In no way.
Instead, it means perfect with regards to our/my ideal — space occupation.

It's indeed true it leads to an ideation of ideas that might seemed rigid to me, for some, over-rationalized.

Let's compare it to another common situation. Scripts.

Are scripts restrictive?
Read 12 tweets
Sep 6, 2022
Matthias Jaissle:

On philosophy.

“I think it’s important that every club has a philosophy about the way they want to play. But what is also important for me as a coach: Here in Salzburg are guardrails – but within these guardrails, each coach can bring his own signature.”
We often forget to differentiate club culture from individual coaching philosophy. With clubs that focus on home-grown talents, it's important that certain basics remain visible across all categories — but with different footprints from each manager to have player learning.
On the different ways to press the opponent:

“I prefer the ball-oriented pressing in a swarm. Because I believe that you can achieve more when everyone from the team is involved. The goal is to create a surplus near the ball very fast.
Read 9 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(