GeePaw Hill Profile picture
Dec 18, 2021 47 tweets 13 min read Read on X
Oxygen Not Included: It's a Saturday, and I'm doing some light writing, but I'm also playing some ONI. This is c45 of seed V-SNDST-C-182555902-0, Spaced Out DLC, classic, survivor. An Oxygen Not Included Scre...
This time, I built my "bad base" on the frame of what will be the ultimate hab unit. Everything's still crummy and WIP, but it's also overlaid over what will be fine. I got lucky with a well-placed natural nature reserve. Where the mealwoods are is where the atmo docks will be. An Oxygen Not Included Scre...
The big next step with the hab unit is actually two levels above the cots: I want to start the first drecko ranch there. That's the one that needs cool temperatures, so when I cool my base, I'll be cooling that one, too.
Just below the hab unit is the everything-else-for-now area. :) Got a gas slop pit, 2 of 4 hatch ranches open for business. At the bottom of this image you see the cool h2o infinistore. As usual, it's pumping up to a cistern next to the research area. An Oxygen Not Included Scre...
Next step here: I'm thinking about the power. Do I do temp power in the bottom of the hatch area? Do I look for a more permanent location? And will I use an old-school spine or a battery-flipper spine?
To the East, I have a pair of cool steam vents separated by several levels, and a gigundous slime biome. A concept: spoze I drained both of those CSV pools to an infinistore below them. And all the cool ph2o to an infinistore below *that*? Hmmmm. An Oxygen Not Included Scre...
At the far south, my central spine has run directly into an AETN. Can't think when I've been this annoyed at finding an AETN. It's right in my path! Oh well, next step here is prolly jag west and keep going down to the oil. I reckon I'm maybe 30-40 tiles away. An Oxygen Not Included Scre...
Can't build first drecko ranch as top layer of hab unit: it'd start with a temperature very close to the limit, and we won't have active cooling for a while. But what about putting all three drecko ranches -- the thinner & taller ones from Stormfather -- east of the hatches? An Oxygen Not Included Scre...
The top one could be the first glossy, and it's right at the bottom of the hab, so when I *do* get active cooling, I can just cool that one, too. Me like. Gotta go look up that stormfather build, which I don't know by heart.
Here's an adapted Stormfather design. This is a breeder stable for glossy drecko eggs. The water is going to fill it up to just the level of the farm tiles. There are a couple of fine points here. An Oxygen Not Included Scre...
I'm using cool h2o for the fill. Any liquid would do, so why cool h2o, isn't that wasteful? It's cuz I'll be growing mealwood in here, and I need it to stay <30c until I have active cooling capability. The big block of h2o will help with that a lot. Other stables won't care.
The size of this stable isn't magic # 96, tho Stormfather's designs are. I think he's making an error there. The breeder stables have 8 farm tiles. That's enough to feed just 4 regular or 3 glossy dreckos. For uncrowdedness, they need 12 tiles each.
I realized this halfway through, so it's actually pretty big anyway, at 85 tiles. Next time I'll be more clever. I'll plan for something like (n+2)*12, to allow room for an egg or two to sit there for a minute. The water tiles count as room tiles, and limit movement as usual.
The otherwise odd shape was intended to serve as a template for all of them. I now see that this isn't necessary. Next run we'll just build them all tightly tuned to purpose, and hell with similar shape.
Let's get some dreckos to start this thing. I am thinking slap some o2 stations off the spine north of the hab unit and crack that caustic biome. I see one drecko & an egg, hopefully there'll be more. Not gonna make o2 yet, will do a sloppy oxidizer/filter rig. An Oxygen Not Included Scre...
There's the rig. An oxidizer and a mechanical filter. I'll dash in here, get some dreckos, and forget about it. There's no particular other merit to cracking this biome right now. An Oxygen Not Included Scre...
My next two tricks are basically going to repeat this pattern. I want to square off the east side of the ranches down to the bottom of the left pic, and I want to head west a little then down on the right pic. I want o2 masks for both of those endeavors. An Oxygen Not Included Scre...An Oxygen Not Included Scre...
(On left pic, I'll use that ph2o pool to feed some reed fiber back up in the hab.)

I've decided to stay with spot power and spot o2 for the moment. I just don't feel like I have a solid idea where I want things.
c55, the rigs are just getting ready. I'll do the left pic first, pump that area to vacuum, pump the ph2o to reed fiber. Then the right pic, heading down again towards oil. An Oxygen Not Included Scre...An Oxygen Not Included Scre...
c62, the two projects went well. The left one is down to a couple hundred mg's of po2. The right one I can see oil. Now that I can see oil, we will do . . . *nothing* with it. We're a ways from being able to crack that biome. An Oxygen Not Included Scre...An Oxygen Not Included Scre...
That's okay, I have a lot of other work to do, and now my dupes will do it with the energy of a thousand suns!

(Okay. Not really. But *I* feel slightly better.)

What's next?
To crack oil, we need atmo suits. To get atmo suits we need a refinery and o2 source. To get a refinery we need some cool ph2o. To get o2 we need some hot h2o.

Next, then, gather some of both of those.
Looky here. I could do a hot h2o infinistore right below this cool steam vent. And right below that, I could drain that gigundous slime biome into a cool ph2o infinistore.

You feel me?

ph2o first. Gonna need o2 masks for that. An Oxygen Not Included Scre...
Lots of little stuff to do, also. I need to keep expanding the ranches. I will want radbolt research to start soon. Still haven't done anything about power. This may be a festival of little projects. As you know, I don't multi-task all that well.
c65, first two mini-projects complete: I wanted radbolt research capability, and I needed to finish the barracks level on the hab unit. An Oxygen Not Included Scre...
and c68. next two projects done: getting the hatch ranches finished, and squaring out the bottom of that area. An Oxygen Not Included Scre...
c72, and you see my plan for the next pair of projects, obviously still WIP. The ph2o infinistore is the lower one. I'll dig eastward and let eventually the whole biome fill it, tho I just need a little. Hot h2o will fill afterwards. This is all in service to a metal refinery. An Oxygen Not Included Scre...
And c75, let the wild infinistore rumpus start!

Part of me wants to clean and fix everything, but I gotta keep my eyes on the prize: a metal refinery. That's next. An Oxygen Not Included Scre...
c79, we just refined our first gold using the metal refinery. The ph2o is pumped in from its infinistore as the coolant, then sent to the reservoir to the sieve to the hot h2o infinistore. An Oxygen Not Included Scre...
Meanwhile, coal and algae are starting to run a little low. Not bad, but a little. And where do we get coal & algae? Remember that caustic biome we cracked to get our dreckos? Time to go core that and pump it out. (It's modest, but not nothing, that'll give us a start.) An Oxygen Not Included Scre...
c85. good lord, this has taken longer than all the little projects.did. Beefed up algae and coal already, but now I just want to complete this thing. An Oxygen Not Included Scre...
c90, and the damned caustic biome is still a few seconds away from being cored. Meanwhile, tho, check this: both of those cool steam vents are dormant, meaning I can box them in w/o atmo suits at fairly low risk. Low, not nil, but still. An Oxygen Not Included Scre...
I'm now sitting on 6 tons of copper, too, which means it's time to turn my attention to the oil biome and that atmo suits. Let's block in those CSV's first, one still will have to be drained, then we'll tackle that.
It's c95, first CSV is ready. It's dormant now for 40 cycles, and I had plenty of time to box it in, but the reason I did it now was really cuz I started it. Tryna keep the WIP small. I'm gonna stall on the second one for a few cycles, tho, cuz I got important stuff to do. An Oxygen Not Included Scre...
(This is a super-standard CSV-tamer. Run some cool ph2o in radiant pipes, dump them when they get to hot. Vacuum the space so the steam comes into contact with the radiant's instantly. Everything here is gold or copper.)
BBQ is becoming real. I've switched 2 of the hatch ranches to stone only, and started the switch of the third. I'm gonna turn off bbq in the consumables to draw down the pickled meal supply and build up the bbq, then I'll decide how many/when of the mealwoods to kill.
This is my plan for cracking the oil biome. Next step is just to frame this out and start o2 moving to the atmo docks, whilst I make an exosuit forge and 5 suits. An Oxygen Not Included Scre...
Additionally, that slime biome we started cracking is ginormous, and there's a lot of ph2o to drain. Frame the oil entrance first, then that. I'm actually kinda stalling for time: it's too soon to shift everything to atmo suits, not enough dupes are trained up.
Tho my current mix of dupes isn't horrible, I'm frustrated: I need 3 more digby's and 2 more opuses and I've gotten fuck-all for quite some time.
c100, and the oil entrance is just waiting for atmo suits. In addition, I drained a couple more slime biome pools, only 3 of those left. An Oxygen Not Included Scre...
c105. This is a super-dangerous time for me: I multi-task, I get excited, I do stupid things. Here are some of the considerations.
The oil biome is just sitting there waiting for me to *own* it. It can yield diamond, lead, and petroleum -- i.e. plastic & active cooling. An Oxygen Not Included Scre...
If I had diamond I could make that hab *glow* with decor. It, also, is just sitting there begging me to finish it. Just diamonding the ceiling & floor of the sculpture room would prolly be +6 morale for everyone. An Oxygen Not Included Scre...
But there's also co2 piling up down low in it. And wait, didn't I want to atmo-suit the gate? And what about the fact that I have a mature pip and can plant nature reserves *everywhere* now?
And power. I'm still using spot power. It'd be cool to get the for reals grid going, and to centralize at least the coal generators.
And I can't atmo the exit if I don't have a potent o2 source. Right now I'm also using spot o2.
Alright, okay, everybody just calm down. The first thing we have is a simple crisis: we're down to 2 tons of coal.

We gotta deal with that first, no matter what.

Let's crack this biome and see what we get. Minimum, we'll get a slight extension, and we might hit a mother-lode. An Oxygen Not Included Scre...

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with GeePaw Hill

GeePaw Hill Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @GeePawHill

Nov 19, 2022
In today's episode of Stupid Geek Tricks, I just basically invented Smalltalk using Kotlin.

Before you get angry, please know that I don't approve of this. I don't approve of a lotta shit I do.
120 lines of code. A marker interface for messages, a one-API interface for objects. Any class can handle any message it chooses to. Didn't bother with doesNotUnderstand, but it'd be an easy add.

gist.github.com/GeePawHill/2d7…
Conceptually, it's straightforward: the Interactor wraps a Thing to give it a jump table that switches on the message subclass. It calls the Thing's register() to fill out that jump table. Any given Thing class can register any given Message+Handler pair.
Read 31 tweets
Nov 18, 2022
What is my favorite 20th c song from Broadway?

Oh my gosh, I'm so glad you asked.

[Editor's note: Nobody asxked this. No one. Not one. Nobody asked this.]
Well, of course, it's "At The Ballet" from _A Chorus Line_.

I grew up on stage, community and then semi-pro theatre. I worked 4-8 production a year from the time I was 7 until about 20 years old.

In *Kansas*, yo, in Kansas.
Read 13 tweets
Nov 18, 2022
Anyway, all and sundry, "geepawhill" is not a common moniker. Find me that way. I'm on mastodon, but I also have a whole website, geepawhill.org.
Backstory: "geepaw" means "grandfather", and now, to look at me, it seems obvious. Of *course* this bitter old fucker is a grandfather, just look at him. But "GeePaw" is actually a name I've had for over 30 years.
See, my wife is a little older than me, and when we first got to the bouncy-bouncy, her kids were already almost grown. I was present in the hospital room when my grandson was born. (It was gross.) And I became a grandfather at the ripe old age of 31.
Read 9 tweets
Nov 16, 2022
Please, I'm sorry, please, remember through all this Elon-is-evil-and-stupid shit, remember, please, I'm sorry, please.

This ass-clown *bought* this place where you made community, he didn't steal it. And he *bought* it from the people who sold it to him.
Baby, you were so sure you were the customer, all along, and so mad to discover you were product, all along.
*Fucking* mastodon. There's servers. There's CW's, and bitchy people on your server telling you to CW your random rage-tweets. There's no funded algo stuffing your timeline, just your server's locals and your follows and their follows.
Read 6 tweets
Nov 16, 2022
Jussi Bjorling, "Nessun Dorma".

I once did a bake-off. It was in the early days with spotify, and spotify is the king-hell site for bake-offs. Type in "nessun dorma" and get 500 takes.

So I listened to maybe 200 or so, and I put together a CD of about 20 of them.
And one night -- yes there were substances involved -- I played it for my wife, and we listened to all 20 takes, and we chose our top 3. No commentary. We just listened, and chose our favorites.
Read 6 tweets
Nov 16, 2022
Bob Marley & The Wailers, "Redemption Song". vimeo.com/390484832
Late at night, when no one's around, or they're all abed, or I'm drunk and I don't care, I sing this to the trees outside my house.
My range is very narrow, and it straddles right there, alto and tenor, and I'm old, a practioner of many vices, across many decades. But I sing it, and it fits in my range, and singing it makes me feel good.
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(