Kelly Bauer Profile picture
Dec 23, 2021 9 tweets 3 min read Read on X
I have discovered a cookbook my grandma had from 1954. The contents are a crime against humanity.

This ... is liverwurst pineapple.

With stuffed olives.
(The recipe, for you foodies.)
Pear.
Cheese.
Salad.

... with mayonnaise.
Bananas rolled in mayonnaise.

A salad with avocado and canned cranberry.

What did these people have against vegetables and fruit?
Ah, yes, vegetables in a fine, molded Jell-O! With cottage cheese in the middle! Every family's favorite.
It suggested layering these ENORMOUS breakfast omelets (seriously, hand for scale) and adding currant jelly on top.
Dried-out meat rolls on top of (mayo?) noodles is really one of the less offensive things here, but this photo is ... something.
Everything about this is horrifying, monstrous and unappetizing.

It may just be my contribution to Christmas dinner. 🎄

If I don't work up the courage for the liverwurst pineapple with olives.
@70s_party 🤢

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Kelly Bauer

Kelly Bauer Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @BauerJournalism

May 13
NEW: Two Loretto executives worked together to steal nearly $500,000 from the safety-net hospital, which is meant to serve the poorest Chicagoans, according to a criminal complaint.

One of the execs now charged.

blockclubchicago.org/2024/05/13/for…
The charges come amid an FBI investigation into Loretto after Block Club Chicago and the Better Government Association revealed questionable practices at the hospital — including the misuse of COVID-19 vaccines.

Read all the stories: blockclubchicago.org/loretto-vaccin…
Court docs refer to an Individual A with whom Bergdahl worked to embezzle ~$487,000 from the hospital. Individual A is not named, but details make clear it's Anosh Ahmed — another former Loretto exec who faced scrutiny and resigned after our reports.

blockclubchicago.org/2021/03/24/emb…
Read 5 tweets
Nov 9, 2022
Pritzker, set for victory: "Tonight, you made history. Four years ago, I told you that we would think big, that we'd write a new playbook, that we would put gov't back on the side of working families, that we would be bold. And we didn't waste any time. We raised the minimum ...
"wage to a livable wage. We guaranteed a woman's right to choose. We balanced the budget, paid all our overdue bills and got six credit upgrades. ... And we legalized cannabis."
Pritzker: "Just a few minutes ago, the news networks called this race in our favor. And I'm grateful tonight."

Chants of "four more years."
Read 25 tweets
May 25, 2022
A reminder:

• ~60% of "crime guns" taken in by Chi police are bought in other states where laws are more lenient: chicago.gov/content/dam/ci…

• The feds "let some of the Chicago area’s most notorious gun sellers off the hook for serious violations": chicago.suntimes.com/2022/4/15/2302…
• Though folks often say Chicago has the strictest gun laws, experts have said Chicago's laws are actually similar to those of other big cities.

It's hard to compare laws between cities, but NY and LA actually have some restrictions that are tougher than Chicago's.
• Laws in surrounding communities matter, experts have said.

That's why Chicago's violence is affected by lax laws in other states — you can just go to, say, Indiana and buy a gun that you use in Chicago. And people do. Again, 60% of "crime guns" here are from other states.
Read 11 tweets
Jan 20, 2022
Arwady is going through a lot of the information she shared yesterday: We appear to be coming down from a peak, but our numbers remain high, etc.
Arwady sharing data showing how hospitalizations remain high. Said she's particularly worried about folks 80+, who are seeing a lot of hospitalizations are not as vaccinated as she'd like.
Arwady: She expects the removal of masks will come in the future, but it's not imminent.
"If we see people feel like 'I don't have to do any of these things' ... we won't come down as quickly and effectively ... it takes longer to get to that point where we all want to get ... ."
Read 6 tweets
Jan 20, 2022
NEW: The Center for COVID Control got $124 million from the feds — while telling workers to lie about results, keeping tests in unrefrigerated garbage bags around the office and processing tests late, ex-employees say.

READ: blockclubchicago.org/2022/01/20/cen…
Former Center for COVID Control employees said the company couldn't keep up with tests, so it left them in garbage bags, unrefrigerated, around the office. Still processed them, eventually.

They worry that led to false negatives.

blockclubchicago.org/2022/01/20/cen…
Former employees said they hid bags of tests in a backroom and in a U-Haul parked behind the company's Rolling Meadows HQ when state health department inspectors visited.

blockclubchicago.org/2022/01/20/cen…
Read 7 tweets
Jan 20, 2022
Was watching @WGNNews last night when I head @patrickelwood quote my Center for COVID Control stories — word for word at points — without providing any credit or reference to Block Club.

I've worked for WEEKS on these stories.

This is unacceptable. This is plagiarism.
I am so disappointed in @WGNNews. Block Club is a small, nonprofit newsroom.

It is HARD for us to spare the resources needed for me to investigate this, but we do it because it's important.

To not provide credit and to steal entire sentences, facts, etc. is unacceptable.
I've built trust with dozens of sources, interviewed 50+ people, researched for hours (working MANY 12+-hour days recently), gone to sites, obtained reports and more to get this information.

Yet @WGNNews did not credit our reporting once.
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(