Scott Hamilton RTM Profile picture
Jan 3, 2022 28 tweets 9 min read Read on X
1/28 I got bogged down listing the best books I read in 2021, so I'm going to skip to the top of my list & tweet at length about a couple of tomes I think everyone should read. The Dawn of Everything was arguably the most important book published in '21. Image
2/28 Dave Graeber was a radical anthropologist & a founder of the Occupy movement. He died suddenly & prematurely in 2020. The Dawn of Everything is the book he worked on for a decade with David Wengrow, & finished just before his death. It is subtitled A New History of Humanity. Image
3/28 Guided by recent scholarship & by his anarchist instincts, Graeber argues that standard grand narratives of human history are false. He resists the Rousseauan idea that hunter gatherer societies were always paradises & that the arrival of agriculture always brought misery. Image
4/28 Graeber also rejects the Hobbesian idea, pushed today by establishment thinkers like Stephen Pinker, that humans are inherently violent, & that only the establishment of the state & the cultivation of self-control has stabilised societies. Image
5/28 Graeber tries to show how hunter gatherer societies could be hierarchical or non-hierarchical, peaceful or violent, & he argues that some early agricultural societies, & some ancient cities, lacked hierarchy and oppressive institutions.
6/28 This is an ancient city of the Indus civilisation. Despite a century of excavation, archaeologists have not found a single Indus fort, weapon, or palace. Agriculture does not appear to have brought social stratification & political oppression to the Indus world. Image
7/28 Graeber questions historical materialism, which is associated with the Marxist tradition but also with many non-Marxist thinkers, like the environmental determinists influential in Pacific studies.
8/28 Marxists have tended to argue that the 'superstructure' of a society - its ideas, culture, & political & legal institutions - is determined, or at least heavily influenced, by its economic base. Understand a society's mode of production & the rest follows. Image
9/28 Environmental determinists have tended to argue that a society's superstructure is determined by the nature of the terrain it covers, the climate it experiences, & its geographical location. Image
10/28 Graeber thinks that, to understand the shape societies took & the ways they changed, we have to foreground human agency & political choices. He sees history as a succession of social & political experiments by humans.
11/28 Both Marxists & environmental determinists have produced some superb scholarship. I don't think Graeber is arguing that their methods are without value. I think he is against turning those methods into dogmas. Image
12/28 Graeber points to new research that shows that hunter gatherers sometimes built monuments & even towns. This is Gobekli Tepe in Turkey. It is 6,000 years older than Stonehenge. It was built by hunter gatherers. Image
13/28 & Graeber seeks to further undermine historical materialism by showing how societies existing in the same environments developed very differently from each other.
14/28 Graeber makes very little reference to the Pacific, but some of the best scholarship from our region supports his arguments. For example, Tim Denham is an Aussie archaeologist who has researched highlands New Guinea agriculture. Image
15/28 Denham's shown that Papuans had agriculture as early as the Sumerians and Egyptians, & that they constructed a vast irrigation network. But a hierarchical society didn't develop in Papua - there were no proto-states, no pharaohs. Image
16/28 Despite its monumental scale, Papua's irrigation network was not constructed under the supervision of any central authority. Individual villages negotiated with one another & organised work on canals & ponds. Image
17/28 Denham wrote a critique of that classic of enviro-geographical determinism, Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs, and Steel, where he pointed out that the Papuans had agriculture but didn't follow the path of Sumerians & Egyptians. Papuans chose not to develop 'civilisation'. Image
18/28 Graeber's point about very different superstructures arising from the same material bases could be made with reference to NZ history. The Kai Tahu of Murihiku & the Moriori of Rekohu were both hunter gatherer peoples in cold climates, but they made different societies. Image
19/28 Kai Tahu had a hierarchical, chief-led society. Various parts of the iwi brought tribute they had hunted & gathered to rangatira who lived on Ruapuke Island in Fouveaux Strait. By contrast, Moriori created a radically egalitarian society. They had no chiefs. Image
20/28 What we see, when we look at the Pacific, is a bewildering range of social structures and cultures. & in the case of Polynesia, we can say that all this diversity was created by the descendants of a fairly small and homogenous founding group.
21/28 Patrick Kirch is the dominant figure in Pacific archaeology. Kirch acknowledges the diversity of the Pacific, but in his key books - The Evolution of the Polynesian Chiefdoms & The Road of Winds - he tries to make sense of it by creating a schema based on enviro determinism ImageImage
22/28 Kirch tries to explain the differences in societies & their evolution with reference to the depletion of resources. Islands got chewed up, changes like revolutions & decentralisation occurred when resources ran low, & new voyages of discovery were made.
23/28 Kirch's argument is lucid, but it has been badly damaged by recent revisions of the first settlement dates for many islands. The new dates suggest Eastern Polynesia was settled later & faster than previously thought. Image
24/28 Kirch's argument is further undermined by research that shows some Polynesians were able, thru careful environmental stewardship, to survive for long periods on very small islands. Tikopia is less than 3 sq km, yet forest farming sustained its people for many centuries. Image
25/28 The new dates suggest there would have been no time for settlers to chew up one island before moving on to another. Graeber would obviously reject Kirch's schema, & seek to explain the diversity of Polynesia with reference to human agency and politics.
26/28 Graeber would argue that we have to look to political choices & political experiments to understand the many different forms that Polynesian societies took. With the problems of environmental determinism, Pacific Studies is ready for Graeber's ideas.
27/28 I have focused only on a couple of the main arguments of The Dawn of Everything. There is much else in the book that deserves discussion. My friend @ZarahnSouthon has been reading it, & has been tweeting about its revision of the history of Enlightenment.
28/28 Graeber & Wengrow argue that, far from being a European invention, the Enlightenment was greatly influenced by indigenous thinkers who came into contact with colonialism - thinkers like the Huron chief Kandiaronk. Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Scott Hamilton RTM

Scott Hamilton RTM Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @SikotiHamiltonR

Jul 2
1/11 When I saw a photo of Farage posing with Union Jacks I thought about an interview James Belich gave about a decade ago. Belich observed that Britishness was one of the most effective ideas in history, but that it was withering in the 21st C. Farage symbolises that decline. Image
2/11 Britishness is a modern idea. Linda Colley has traced its emergence to the early 19thC Napoleonic Wars, when Britain faced off against a revolutionary France. British identity spread through the world during that century. It was capacious. Image
3/11 Like many Scots & Welsh before them, most Pakeha in NZ identified as British. As Belich shows in his book Replenishing the Earth, the colonial project was in part an effort to spread & share Britishness. The identity had room for non-white peoples. Image
Read 11 tweets
Mar 17
1/4 Altho the problem seems to have gotten worse lately, the misuse of Nazi history by politicians & media began even before the end of WW2. Winston Peters was named after the man who fought the UK's '45 election by comparing Labour's proposed welfare state to Nazism. Image
2/4 Nor is the problem confined to the right, as this appalling cartoon from the Key era shows. The tragedy is that NZ appeased & collaborated with Nazi Germany & fascist Italy in the '30s, & that we may be on the way to making a similar mistake today. Image
3/4 The topic deserves a book, & I was only able to scratch the surface, but I detailed some of the collaboration, by both the NZ state & many non-governmental organisations, in this article: We put a trade deal with the Nazis ahead of helping Jews.thespinoff.co.nz/society/27-01-…
Read 5 tweets
Mar 6
1/5 I find the eliminationist rhetoric that's entering NZ politics from Trumpian America disturbing. We're hearing the rhetoric from the right at the moment, but I've also heard it from the odd person on the left in the past. I've got a graphic to show to NZ's eliminationists.
2/5 This is a graphic of NZ's 1902 election, when Seddon's Liberals triumphed over Massey's Conservatives. In the 122 years since, NZ has been divided into left & right blocs. They aren't going away, because they're rooted in sociology & history. Image
3/7 Eliminationists see people on the other side of the political divide as either evil or deranged. They see the ideas of the other side as irrational, & consequently have the illusion they can be eradicated. I've been disappointed to see some on the left adopt eliminationism.
Read 13 tweets
Feb 17
1/7 Imagine that settler govts had not denied Maori the vote, that there had been no wars & confiscations, that Maori & Pakeha had come together in a hybrid culture. This might sound like a plot for an alt history novel, but in a remote part of NZ it was reality.
2/7 These precise & exquisite maps are part of Kaye Dragicevich's book about the gumlands of early 20thC Northland, which I acquired yesterday. Amidst the swamps & hut villages on these maps a new, Slavic Polynesian people was born.
3/7 Tarara is the Maori name for a person of Croatian & Maori ancestry. Croats fled repressive Habsburg rule to dig for kauri gum in Northland. There they met another oppressed people. This photo remembers the first Croat-Maori marriage, in 1892. Image
Read 9 tweets
Jan 19
1/7 The debate about the meaning of the Treaty shouldn't be settled by partisan politics or polls. It should be settled by historical evidence. Here are 5 reasons why I believe David Seymour's wrong when he claims the Maori who signed the Treaty 1840 gave away all sovereignty. Image
2/7 The reason is the speeches the chiefs made at Waitangi. If they wanted Britain to take away their authority, why did not one of them say that? The chiefs talked obsessively about the negative impact of British settlers in the north, & the need to control those settlers. Image
3/7 The 2nd reason is the way Britain colonised. In place after place, from Africa to India, the Brits liked to exercise 'indirect rule', by cutting deals with local leaders that left those leaders with some sovereignty but Britain with overall control. Why would NZ be different? Image
Read 8 tweets
Jan 1
1/10 A number of people who don't read poetry have pronounced Tusiata Avia a bad poet. How can we judge for ourselves? Back in the days when I used to edit literary publications, & often had loads of poems to accept or reject, I had two tests. I think Avia passes both. Image
2/10 The first test involves imagery; the second involves sound. One of the jobs of the poet is to renew the worn out, cliched imagery that we tend to use in everyday life. Bad poets will use cliches. Their seas will sigh or shine; their mountains will be mighty. Image
3/10 A poet's imagery should be original, but also needs to be meaningful. Silly novelty is no good, as my youthful poems show. I find vivid & meaningful images in many of the poems in Avia's 2016 book Spirit House/Fale Aitu. Here's one of my favourites. Image
Read 12 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(