André Martin Mansoor Profile picture
Jan 4, 2022 6 tweets 3 min read Read on X
1/6
A young man is admitted to the hospital with malaise and fever. You examine his hands and find these tender nodules.

This should generate a hypothesis.

(Heart sounds in this thread best heard with headphones or a decent computer speaker)
2/6
With your hypothesis in mind, you listen to the patient's heart. You anticipate what you might hear.

"The ears can't hear what the mind doesn't know."
3/6
Based on the holosystolic murmur at the apex that you anticipated you would hear, you diagnose the patient with mitral valve endocarditis. Two days later, his heart sounds change. Take a listen.

An additional diagnosis has now been made.
4/6
Two days later, you know longer hear the pericardial friction rub. In fact, his heart sounds are difficult to hear at all. He develops hypotension and pre-syncope and his neck looks like this:

This should generate a hypothesis.
5/6
You confirm your hypothesis with a bedside maneuver (video features a different patient with the same diagnosis):
6/6
You have diagnosed infective endocarditis of the mitral valve with pericardial involvement, evolving to pericardial effusion with cardiac tamponade. All with your eyes and ears.

pdxpdx.com

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with André Martin Mansoor

André Martin Mansoor Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @AndreMansoor

Aug 14
1/11
A physical exam SMASLAR in 11 tweets.

This middle-age patient was admitted several weeks ago with cardiogenic shock of unclear etiology. He is recovering well on the ward when I meet him. This is what I see:
2/11
Here's another view of these vigorous carotid pulses (Corrigan's pulse). Classically associated with aortic regurgitation (like we saw 2 weeks ago), there are several other causes:

1. High-output state (eg, wet beriberi) like we saw last week
2. Coarctation of the aorta
3/11
I immediately think he must have aortic regurgitation. I listen, but I don't hear a diastolic murmur.

Still, I evaluate his nail beds and this is what I see:
Read 12 tweets
Aug 10
1/11
A man presents to you with the clinical syndrome of heart failure (weight gain, orthopnea, elevated JVP, etc.). BP is 144/48 mm Hg.

Wide pulse pressure suggests aortic regurgitation (like our case last week). So you look for other physical findings. What do you notice?
2/11
Quincke’s pulse is consistent with your hypothesis, so you look for more evidence in his neck. And you have found it.

Corrigan's pulse:
3/11
You then listen to the patient’s heart in anticipation of hearing a decrescendo diastolic murmur and confirming your suspicions.
Read 11 tweets
Jul 16
1/10
A 60 y/o woman presents with subacute, progressive, severe hyponatremia (Na 118).

Let’s walk through an approach to this common problem. Image
2/10
First we confirm we are dealing with hypotonic hyponatremia.

This begins to narrow our differential.
3/10
Next we want to know the status of extracellular fluid volume. Our patient has low JVP, no peripheral edema, and dry mucous membranes, narrowing our differential even further. Image
Read 10 tweets
Apr 5
1/9
A 70-year-old man presents with dyspnea. What do you notice when you first meet him?

This finding should generate a hypothesis, which we will circle back to eventually. Image
2/9
Before we do, let’s talk about dyspnea. The two main systems responsible for dyspnea are the heart and the lungs. Image
3/9
The jugular venous pulse can serve as a pivot point. It can take you toward or away from the heart. With this in mind, let’s evaluate the patient’s neck. Here, he is in the upright position. (Sometimes the jugular venous pulse is better seen on the left.)
Read 9 tweets
Feb 28
1/8
A young man comes to our clinic for evaluation of rapid weight gain. He has heard "diet and exercise" several times before he sees us.

The driver license photo was taken ~9 months prior.

We make some observations, leading us to generate a hypothesis. Image
2/8
Based on our hypothesis, we examine the patient further. And we make several more important observations, increasing the likelihood of our hypothesis.

3/8
We remember that skin thickness can be an important sign in this condition, from Lynn Loriaux's 2017
@NEJM review.

(Examiner's hand is shown above, patient's below.)

Read 8 tweets
Feb 20
1/8
A young man presents with dyspnea. We start with his hands.

My hand is gloved in the second photo (for frame of reference, I can palm a basketball).

Our patient has a finding that should generate a hypothesis.
2/8
Our hypothesis takes us to the patient’s mouth. Image
3/8
A high-arched palate. Otherwise note as an “ogival” arch. These arches are pointed at the top and are a key feature of Gothic architecture, beginning in the 12th century. Image
Read 8 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(