Michael Ashcroft Profile picture
Jan 13, 2022 12 tweets 4 min read Read on X
"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together" – Vincent Van Gogh

This is a thread of all of Vincent's paintings of sunflowers. 🌻

First series: The Paris Sunflowers

Sunflowers, study (F377), Oil on canvas, 21 x 27 cm, Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam
Sunflowers (F375), Oil on canvas, 43.2 x 61 cm, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
Sunflowers (F376), Oil on canvas, 50 x 60.7 cm, Museum of Fine Arts Bern
Sunflowers (F452), Oil on canvas, 60 × 100 cm, Kröller-Müller Museum, Otterlo
Second Series: The Arles Sunflowers

Sunflowers (F453), first version: turquoise background
Oil on canvas, 73.5 × 60 cm
Private collection
Sunflowers (F459), second version: royal-blue background
Oil on canvas, 98 × 69 cm
Formerly private collection, Ashiya, Japan, destroyed by US air raid of World War II on 6 August 1945
Sunflowers (F456), third version: blue green background
Oil on canvas, 91 × 72 cm
Neue Pinakothek, Munich, Germany
Sunflowers (F454), fourth version: yellow background
Oil on canvas, 92.1 × 73 cm
National Gallery, London, England
Sunflowers (F455), repetition of the 3rd version
Oil on canvas, 92 × 72.5 cm
Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia, United States.
Sunflowers (F458), repetition of the 4th version (yellow background)
Oil on canvas, 95 × 73 cm
Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
Sunflowers (F457), replica of the 4th version (yellow green background)
Oil on canvas, 100 × 76 cm
Sompo Japan Museum of Art, Tokyo, Japan
all images and summaries taken from Wikipedia here:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunflower…

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Michael Ashcroft

Michael Ashcroft Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @m_ashcroft

Dec 6, 2023
I just came across the idea of treating inattentive ADHD as being similar in nature to erectile dysfunction

It was a video on Instagram that I now can't find again, but the gist of it was...

yelling at yourself for not being aroused by a task doesn't help you perform
no amount of "well I really want to be into this and in theory I should be" will create the conditions needed to get the thing to work

it's not something you can make happen directly

drawing from the erectile dysfunction analogy, two strategies then come to mind
actually there are three

1) find ways to make the task more arousing, or arousing in a different way

2) identify any anxieties that may be present that are interfering with finding the arousing thing arousing and explore ways to turn them down
Read 6 tweets
Jun 21, 2023
one of the most valuable things about doing this social media thing is that you start to see how some minority of people will always insist on focusing on the negative, even within the good

at which point, life gets much easier, because you just say "oh, look, there they go!"
where before you may worry that you are not seeing the bigger picture and that things might really be bad, actually...

it becomes clear that:
- where you focus your time and attention within the bigger picture is a choice
- good things can seem threatening to some people
once some tweets get sufficiently viral, it becomes clear that there is a pattern and consistency to the negative replies, but they don't see each other

usually variations of the same obvious negatively spun joke, or they respond to the un-nuanced straw man of the good thing
Read 4 tweets
Jun 20, 2023
I just did an anger release thing as part of the @artofaccomp Master Class

five minutes of fully expressing anger (swearing, screaming) in a safe, small group container

it was interesting that there was a clear switch half way through from performance to 'okay this real now''
@artofaccomp I was concerned I'd go into it a little British-ly, like "oh my I'm so frightfully angry, rawr" type thing

fortunately my experiences doing similar things helped me sink right into it

what made this way more powerful was bringing in real narrative

michaelashcroft.org/blog/the-coura…
@artofaccomp it's one thing to swear and scream and hit things *abstractly*, but it's quite another to swear and scream and hit things *about something in particular*

it's not just "fuck you" but "fuck you for X/about X"

completely changed the valence and utility of the whole thing
Read 4 tweets
Jun 20, 2023
I feel like there's been a lot of "jobs are bad and you should quit" energy on the timeline lately

so here are some reasons jobs are good and what I miss about having one

1) working with smart, engaged people on shared projects, bouncing ideas around and helping each other
2) you can have significantly more power/impact/reach as part of an organisation than you can on your own

knowing that the work you do is an important part of a system larger than yourself can be really satisfying and motivating
3) when your sense of personal mission is aligned with your employer's goals, it frees up an enormous amount of energy that you don't need to spend motivating yourself

you don't need to think about how to motivate yourself when the environment does it for you
Read 17 tweets
Jun 19, 2023
isn’t it incredible that houses have pipes that carry clean water in and dirty water out and all you have to do is open a tap or push a button?

and that the networks that do this are built and operated by people and they run perfectly basically all the time?
and there’s an entirely different set of pipes that carry the gaseous remains of simple marine organisms that died millions of years ago and we burn that that to cook with, heat rooms and heat the water we get from the other pipes?

and people built those pipes and they work
and there are these wires that are all connected to the same network with lots of power plants of different kinds on it that spin in sync with each other, and they all slow down by the same imperceptible amount at the same time when I flick a light switch

and this all just works
Read 6 tweets
Feb 5, 2023
I am going to try to recreate and adapt @beauhaan's block-based outliner Zettelkasten approach for @tana_inc and will comment on my thoughts and approach in this thread

if this sounds incredibly tedious to you, do go ahead and mute this thread
@beauhaan @tana_inc first thing to say is that when I went through Beau's Roam Book Club I found his way of thinking accessible and compelling

I've read around the whole Zettelkasten space in an amateurish way and I find it somewhat dry and 'not relevant to me', but Beau's style grabbed me
@beauhaan @tana_inc there were a couple of reasons it grabbed me
- minimum viable fleeting notes while reading...
- but that we then went back to later for a big-ass introspective writing session
- genuine attention and 'work' given to restating the source and writing the ultimate permanent notes
Read 27 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(