Alf Profile picture
Jan 13, 2022 7 tweets 3 min read Read on X
A global macro update.

Focusing on the daily swings might lead you to miss the forest for the trees, but we are still firmly in the secular Quadrant 1 here.

Vol has increased though, which means we are going to temporarily swing through Quadrant 4 and 3 at times.

1/7
The pace of growth of credit injection through the real economy has stalled to very low levels since mid-21.

This implies a weaker impulse to real growth and earnings until at least summer 2022...

2/7
...and a repricing down of inflation expectations too: basically, a still-okaysh nominal growth but on a clearly decelerating trend.

Lower inflation break-evens while the Fed embarks in a tightening exercise lead to higher front-end real interest rates, but...

3/7
...I still argue policy is net-net at an easy level, making my base case the secular Quadrant 1 and not the scary Quadrant 4: why?

Because

A) 5y forward 5y real yields are still 70 bps below equilibrium levels
B) The Fed will implement QT in a pretty soft fashion in '22

4/7
Tomorrow I will post a separate thread on what a ''soft QT'' looks like, but it's important to know the pace of monetary tightening is the key determinant rather than the tightening itself

Temporary episodes of risk-off (Quad4) and optimism (Quad3) will be frequent though

5/7
The best tactical risk-reward trades here remain to buy long-end bonds (outright, or better against short-end bonds) on sell-offs and fade outsized ''the economy is booming and long-end nominal yields to the roof'' proxy trades.

See here

6/7
If you like my macro insights and you're not subscribed yet to my free macro newsletter The Macro Compass, you're missing out on my best macro pieces and investment ideas.

Please consider subscribing! :)
TheMacroCompass.substack.com

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Alf

Alf Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @MacroAlf

Apr 30
Ever wondered what's like to launch a macro hedge fund these days?

Here are the 7 key insights I got so far:

1/
A) If you think it will be hard, you are wrong: it will be harder

In the early steps of launching a hedge fund you are required to be the CEO, CIO, COO, head of investor relations, and so on.

It's really hard work.

2/
B) The package matters

Investors have upped their regulatory/infra requirements, and they understandbly demand you to be fully regulated/compliant/audited and have a solid trading infrastructure with a strong prime broker.

3/
Read 11 tweets
Apr 28
QT was announced in 2022 and it was supposed to remove excess reserves from the system.

Yet, the amount of liquidity removal so far has been ZERO and the Fed might announce a QT tapering next week!

Thread

1/
Fed’s bond holdings are down $1.6 trillion from their peak in mid 2022 (due to QT), yet bank reserves (aka ‘’liquidity’’) are virtually unchanged!

Blue: Fed bond holdings
Orange: bank reserves (aka liquidity)

Why is this happening?

2/ Image
Normally, QT works by draining reserves from the system.

Here are 5 simple steps to understand how:

Step 1-2: the Fed doesn’t reinvest maturing bonds (1) from its QE portfolio (= performs passive QT) and therefore destroys reserves (2);

3/ Image
Read 10 tweets
Apr 23
In a week everyone will be talking about Yellen and the Quarterly Refunding Announcement (QRA).

Here is all you need to know so you are prepared.

Thread.

1/
Every quarter the US Treasury publishes a set of documents highlighting:

- Their expectations for upcoming bond issuance: how much, and split between bills and bonds

- Their expectations for the size of the Treasury General Account (TGA)

2/
Yellen has been issuing a lot (I mean, a lot) of T-Bills recently.

T-Bills now exceed the recommended 20% share of total US debt.

She does this to ease pressure on bond markets: large fiscal deficits require large bond issuance, and T-Bills are easier to absorb...

3/ Image
Read 11 tweets
Apr 18
The new theory is that Fed hikes are actually stimulative (?!) for the economy at this stage.

Let's take a look into it.

Thread.

1/
Higher interest rates generally slow down economic activity: corporates and households face higher debt servicing costs and therefore they must cut capex/hiring/spending to allocate more resources to debt servicing.

Lower spending = the economy slows down.

2/
In other words: higher rates tend to negatively affect the liability side of private sector balance sheets.

But what if this time that’s going to take much longer, and in the meantime the opposite is happening?

Here is a simple snapshot of the situation:

3/
Read 9 tweets
Apr 12
Commodities are exploding higher.

Is the Fed losing control and credibility?

Thread.

1/
Over the last two weeks, commodities are absolutely ripping.

This is especially true for precious metals, but also copper or iron ore are trading well.

Volatility-adjusted moves between 1 and 3 (!) standard deviations higher: a big, fat rally!

2/ Image
So, what are the macro conditions that favor a broad commodity rally?

My tri-dimensional Macro Compass uses growth, inflation, and Fed policy to identify the current macro regime.

In each macro regime, there are certain asset classes that do good/bad:

3/
Read 10 tweets
Apr 7
The Fed hiked rates above 5%, and yet the US economy doesn't break.

Here is why.

Thread.

1/
High interest rates are supposed to break something because an overly indebted economy will have to service a mountain of debt at expensive rates and it will have less money for income and spending.

The problem is that people are looking at the ''wrong'' debt.

2/
Private sector debt levels and trends are by far more important than governmment debt

Contraty to the government, the private sector doesn't have the luxury to print money: if you get indebted to your eyeballs and you lose your ability to generate income, the pain is real

3/
Read 9 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(