Zubaida Abdel-Rahman Profile picture
Jan 16, 2022 27 tweets 15 min read Read on X
✨ZUBZZ IN MALDIVES!✨

A (long) review thread!
Maldives is a “country” consisting of a chain of coral Islands in the Indian Ocean.

The international airport is in Male,which has some nice & affordable hotels but if you really want to experience Maldives with the beaches & clear water, you need to go to the other islands.
Their currency is the Maldivian Rufiyaa (1000MVR = ¢390±), but the resorts charge in $.

On arrival, when you’re done with immigration you need to find your hotel/resort’s stall and sort out your transportation.
Transportation is either via sea plane which takes 15 minutes or speed boat which takes 45.

My resort charged $150pp for speedboat transfer and $400pp for seaplane.
Apparently those are the general prices (a little more or less depending on the island you’re going to).
I stayed at Summer Island Maldives, a 4 star resort in North Male Atoll.

There are 7 accommodation types which come with half board (breakfast & dinner) & full board (breakfast, lunch & dinner) packages.

*There is a green tax of $6 extra per night*
1. Garden - $336 hb, $338 fb

2. Superior Beach - $336 hb, $338 fb

3. Superior Vista - $471 hb, $511 fb

4. Superior Bungalow - $336 hb, $376 fb

5. Premium Beach Villa - $461 hb, $501 fb

6. Water Villa - $536 h , $576 fb

7. The Summer House - $1604 hb, $1644 fb
I got a water villa, a room built literally over water. It was absolutely worth the price! From the glass “window” in the ground that let me see the fishes underneath me to the beautiful beautiful clear blue ocean right outside my door, everything was perfect.
Even the bathtub came with a view. From my room I got a very clear view of the horizon where two seas seem to meet and not mix (you can see the colour differences very clearly).

The right word would be serene - It was completely booked but so quiet.
I got a half board package, which meant my room came with breakfast & dinner.
I wish they had mentioned earlier, but for packages, you can not take the food to your room, you need to eat in the restaurant (where the food is set up buffet style).
Everything is charged in dollars here, so the food is relatively expensive, but all the prices were Ghana Standard.

I got the
•Sunrise Breakfast - $20
•Eggs Benedict - $14.
•Seafood Platter - 60
•Wine (a bottle) - $55
•Lamb chops - $27
I’m always a little nervous about food when I’m going into different territories, b/c the tastes tend to REALLY differ sometimes.

I was so relieved by how good this was.
Everything off the in Villa menu was delicious. The lamb was a little hard, but the flavour was amazing
I had the dinner buffet but I wasnt a fan of the fried rice & sushi + there were no options for protein which surprised me.
The panna cotta was the best I have EVER had though.

A breakfast buffet was set up for those of us who had to leave early but it was very limited.
There are a number of activities available, mostly centred around water sports like fishing, diving courses, kayaking etc.
You can also go on an excursion around the island or get a massage at the spa.
Generally it’s a super romantic,very relaxing holiday destination.
I had a good time solo b/c I currently (subject to change) prefer traveling alone but I dont doubt it might have been a little more fun with a group or partner.

Also, stay for max 2-3 days.
You’ll be bored after.
Most (if not all) resorts are on their own islands, so movement from place to place isnt really a thing. You’ll have to hire a speedboat to get to the next resort, and they may refuse you entry if you’re not a guest.
Go with dollars, because they

a. wont accept cedi and

b. change euro at a pretty bad rate.

If you’re going alone, get a book or your laptop for the night time because there’s zero to do between 7pm-6:00am. Also, it’s very safe, or at least it was at my resort.
Travel time from Accra to their airport is around 11 hours & flights from Accra are EXPENSIVE, the cheapest I’ve seen is around ¢10,500 for an economy ticket (It is an expensive holiday,but not unaffordable. Do your research & you’ll definitely find a package within your budget)
Ghanaians don’t need a visa, but you will need to fill out a health declaration form to get your visa on arrival, and again when you’re exiting the country. Very important, DONT FORGET!

(See the form on zubzz.com/blog/Maldives)

You also need a vaccination card and a PCR test.
So here’s the thing.

Even though I was given the option to have one or the other for my return flight (I received an email from the airline stating that), I was asked for both and I would have been denied boarding if I didn’t have them. So please don’t cut corners, have both.
The immigration queues are LONG!

That applies to both arrival and departure so please get to the airport for departure early. I’m not kidding, it took me 1 hour and 26 minutes to get to the front of the line.
There is supposed to be wifi at arrivals, where you input you number and get a code but guess whose code never came, even after multiple tries.

My roaming data wouldn’t work so the only thing to do was go upstairs, order food ($15!) and use their wifi (tip for future use)
They’re 5 hours ahead of Ghana by the way. So 12:00pm here, 5:00pm there.

And it gets really dark fast It’s literally pitch black over the water.
The walk (run) from my room to the reception at 5am the day I was leaving is one I’m glad no one saw.
Also, their airport isn’t very clean, and the bathrooms are a little gross. Use the one at your hotel before you leave or wait till you’re inside the departure area.

So those are the basics.
Read the full post + extra details on

Zubzz.com/blog/maldives
Aaand follow my IG🥰

Instagram.com/zubaidah.x
The room rates are PER NIGHT.
LAST THING. If you request it, your resort will organize a PCR test for you before you leave. Results take about 12 hours.
It was $80 at mine, it should be within the same price range at the other resorts. When you book your hotel, ask about that.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Zubaida Abdel-Rahman

Zubaida Abdel-Rahman Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @zubaidah_x

Jan 17, 2023
Guys I did it! (Sort of)

A weekend in Zanzibar on a budget of ¢15,000 is possible!

• Ticket - $671 via Ethiopian airlines.

• Hotel - $200/night at the Hilton, package deal from Anton Crafters.

• Activities - $100 to swim with turtles, kayak and dine at The Rock.

Thread 👇🏾
I said “sort of” because full disclosure, I upgraded my ticket to business.

Zanzibar is a really popular tourist destination and is VISA FREE for Ghanaians! Currently you just need your proof of COVID vaccination and your yellow fever card to enter.
First off, the cheapest days to fly are usually Tuesday to Thursday. You can save a little over $100 per flight booking a weekday flight. Booking months ahead usually gets you a great deal as well!
Read 18 tweets
Jan 16, 2023
Random musings.

When you live “alone” if you don’t do things they don’t get done (I genuinely feel like everyone should live alone for a little bit after a certain age). If you don’t pay a bill, it isn’t paid. If you don’t wash the dishes you’ll come back and meet them.
I’m a very independent person.I’ve always done things for/by myself whenever necessary.And it’s been necessary a lot.I don’t rely on people.

Recently I let a new friend into my space(life). And now I see the importance of partnership.
I don’t have to do everything myself.
And no this isn’t an “I’m in love” post(at all).
It’s a “At my big age I finally see why people crave partnership”.

It’s nice. If I dont do somethings they still get done. I dont have to do everything myself.
Read 6 tweets
Jun 21, 2021
Planning a wedding anytime soon?
This is how much your dream wedding could cost you at these prime locations:

1. Safari Valley

• ¢89,000 for 50 people
• 139,600 for 100 people
• ¢189,600 for ¢150 people and
• 239,600 for 200 people

(+¢30,000-¢40,000 for decor)
The package includes:
• 1 premium cabin for the couple
• 2 Vacation Homes for 12 people
• 3 Carts for transportation
• A Horse Carriage for the brides entrance
• Finger Foods at the chapel
• Buffet for the reception.
2. Kempinski Hotel, Gold Coast City

• Happily Ever After Package - ¢123,825+ (¢825.5 pp, min. 150)

• Love Story Package - ¢104,775+ (¢698.50 pp, min. 150)

• Wedded Bliss Package - ¢85,725+ (¢571.50 pp, min. 150)

• Cedar Garden Package - ¢31,750

(Exclusive of decor)
Read 18 tweets
Dec 15, 2020
💫Thread alert - #DettyDecember in Accra tips💫

1. The first and most important rule of them all: NEVER go out with someone you don't trust. It's in your best interest to go out with at least one sensible friend who you know will have your back.
Also. That guy who's been making those unwelcome sexual passes? Don't go out with him alone.
Free drinks are nice, but not at the cost of your safety. If you must go, LET HIM KNOW it's not a date and you'll be going as a group. If he declines, well that's his choice.
2. Whatever you have to do, wherever you have to go, leave early! The traffic is crazy! Estimate an hour and two delay to wherever your destination is. Also, GPS/Google Maps works pretty decently in Accra.
Read 38 tweets
Nov 24, 2020
💫Thread time! 40 Date Ideas In Accra (that arent all about food)💫

1. Try A New Restaurant Together. Food Dates are the most common dates, so why not add a little twist to it by visiting a place you’ve both never been and reviewing it together.

2. Go to a game night together.
3. Have your own game night at home. Puzzles, board games, the likes. They’re extremely fun.

4. Couple’s Yoga. If you’re both in stressful sectors for example, this is ideal. Relax and destress together.

5. Go Karting. Not tried and tested, but I hear its fun.

6. Go swimming.
7. Try A New Cuisine Together. Introduce your date to your favourite cuisine and walk them through it(for example, show them ideal pairings and how to use certain things)

8. Movie Night With Pizza. Basic and Budget friendly.
Read 20 tweets
Feb 21, 2020
Thread time! The Palms at Prampram 😍🥰.

The Palms at Prampram is a 90 minute drive from the mall (a ¢50-¢60 uber ride from there). Super quiet getaway location.

• Seafood Platter (Calamari,shrimp,fish,side of choice)
💸¢75

•Wine
💸¢25/g, ¢100-¢160/b
It used to be self-catering but they have a restaurant and bar on-site now.
Average wait time for food is 45 minutes.
Breakfast is free for residents, ¢40 for non-residents.

• Meat Platter (Chicken,beef,pork,side of choice)
💸¢60
They have a spa facing the beach - it’s such a beautiful concept. The masseuse isn’t available all the time though, so you need to book ahead. The massage prices are really reasonable too - ¢350 per couple and ¢185 per person. The masseuse was 🔥🔥🔥.
Read 18 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(