Kerry 🇺🇸 Profile picture
Jan 18, 2022 11 tweets 5 min read Read on X
Lol at "...he made a reference to Emerson--I don't know where Emerson talks about decentralization...but these ideas seemed radical to me."

soundingsjohnbarker.wordpress.com/2015/06/05/196…
Basically sounds like he wanted to be an old-school Republican. Which the Kennedys likely would have been had it not been for the anti-Catholic bias among MA Republicans at that time. Successful Dem. presidents usually incorporate some elements of old-school Republicanism.
"[RFK] found in Ralph Waldo Emerson's thesis of self-reliance the alternative to big government as a way to cure poverty."

publishersweekly.com/978-0-312-1862…
"Furthermore, Beran argues that by passing through the furnace of family tragedy, Kennedy had become both Greek and Emersonian."

That's a strange line.
The Beran book is "The Last Patrician." Will have to read it.
Schlesinger also got into it.
Lol, another "X is credited with coining this term in 1970, although Emerson actually used it 1842."

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Kerry 🇺🇸

Kerry 🇺🇸 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @kerry62189

May 10, 2023
MIT took a strong stance on free expression by appealing to definitions, etc., derived from the post-Puritan tradition.
First off, the report indicates that it will refer to "freedom of speech"--which it distinguishes from "academic freedom"--as "freedom of expression."

"Academic freedom" was a concept imported from Germany by newer US universities that kind of grated on Harvard and MIT.
While such protections were a big deal in Germany, Harvard and MIT had long defaulted to practices that served the same purpose, so the idea that they now had to import a German concept and procedure in order to secure what they already had was a bit ludicrous.
Read 12 tweets
May 9, 2023
This really was just what most books were like in mid-19c America.

That's why I just stare blankly and say I don't care when someone recites the textbook narrative of religious or theological history and then implies some 19c American's beliefs are "scandalous" or "puzzling."
Like, once again, America was full of religious dissenters and radicals who invented new religions and often utterly and flamboyantly rejected the standard Old World narratives, if they were even fully conversant with them. And many were into elaborate parodies, manifestos, etc.
It's just completely meaningless to point out that a 19c American was heretical, radical, or off-narrative when it came to religion. Most of them were proud to be so. Entirely different mental and social universe, with no oversight.
And they knew their First Amendment rights: Image
Read 5 tweets
May 9, 2023
Yeah. This is a complicated issue, but I increasingly suspect that the pervasive total ignorance about the history here, and the utopianism and naivete that results from it, is itself doing incredible damage.
Drug addiction seems to have been pretty common in the 19/20c US, but because drug use for the most part wasn't harshly policed, legally or socially, and drugs were generally either in less concentrated forms or less potent/deranging in their affects, it wasn't as big of a deal.
That's my understanding, anyway. And I'm not suggesting that pervasive drug addiction is ever "fine," obviously, but that it tended not to be as socially disruptive, and that I don't think drug use/addiction has ever been particularly rare, or that it's likely to become so.
Read 10 tweets
May 8, 2023
This is one of the more important reasons why we can't just move on like nothing happened.

I've heard very little discussion of the issue even now, but it was one of the first things that went visibly wrong.

This was April 23, 2020.

MA officials/doctors started freaking out about the consequences of locals being afraid to seek medical care for ailments other than covid. Which is the reaction that all the messaging had encouraged.

boston25news.com/news/health/ba…
There was a strange period of time early on where MA was desperately broadcasting all these totally off-narrative PSAs, with no acknowledgement of the contradiction. But you can't say that Baker and the hospitals didn't immediately step up here: Image
Read 11 tweets
May 8, 2023
Yeah, much of my interest in this topic comes from the bizarre experience of hearing Trump voters egregiously mischaracterized for years. I get that this sort of thing differs somewhat by state, etc., but they even insist it is a "white working class" thing when discussing MA. Image
In MA, it is most conspicuously an enraged provincial petite bourgeoisie thing, yes. I know this group very well, although its MA incarnation is somewhat atypical.

But it's also, less conspicuously, a professional or wealthy male thing, depending on the industry or profession.
Read 7 tweets
Apr 28, 2023
👍 Image
Exactly. It's a visceral and cultural thing that is of greater importance for GOP candidates, and there's no getting around it so long as voters' views have any significance. Image
It's definitely not gone, but if both parties refuse to cultivate and run with it, or if it lacks the numbers or appeal to support a political culture, then all the grand plans will go down with it. In one way or another, it's supplying most of the coherence that remains to us. Image
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(